2014-08-29 01:39:29

For those of you who totally missed the icebucket challenge craze, it's basically to raise awareness for ALS. ALS is a pretty terrible disease that will first have a huge impact in your muscles. You will be able to use them less and less. This goes so far that the person who has this disease will most likely end up passing away.
There is no cure for this disease, so people have invented this icebucket challenge to raise people's awareness for this, getting people to donate.

So i have been challenged. What happens is basically you get nominated, and within the timespan of 24 hours you have to either dump a bucket full of ice-cube filled water over your head, or, if you fail to do it, donate $100 to the ALS foundation at alsa.org.

I took it upon myself to do the challenge. Not only did I do the challenge, but I also donated to the project since I have a friend with this disease and what he's going through is unimaginable.

So, I challenged, among other people, Aprone. I never thought he would do it, but it turns out that he did, and now, three more audio game developers are on the list to do it!

The links to our challenges:
Mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W858ZBzj1kY
Aprone's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4XslcysooI

So who gets to do it next?

Watch Aprone's video to find out!

--
Talon
Wanna play my Games? Listen to my Music? Follow me on Twitter, and say hi~
Code is poetry.

2014-08-29 10:44:14

Now the tricky part is finding a way to notify those 3 guys, so they know they've been challenged.  Not everyone checks the forum daily.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-08-29 11:41:53

Contact him using the contact form on his website? I mean to Philop.

2014-08-29 15:35:25

Hi,
@aprone: Each developer on the list made me laugh harder and harder until I was laughing so much that I couldn't stop. Jim Kitchin? I don't know why but I find that extremely amusing. Ditto with Thomas Ward. Philip Bennefall, well, I kind of saw that one coming. No surprise that he'd get nominated.
Oh, and forumights, beware, because I'm joining the bandwaggon tomorrow and a couple of you will get nominated.

2014-08-29 18:02:55

Can someone nominate me please?

I  am happy to dump ice water over myself in a good cause, and though I don't have a video camera I will record the result, indeed if someone challenges me I will do it in my bath, in the buff! (just to prove how matcho I am)and people will be  welcome to distribute the audio recording of me shreaking like a banchee, ---- or staying silent manfully, --- we'll have to see :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-08-30 00:28:47

I've already done this thing. I will stick up my video in the morning if I have time then you can all laugh at me screaming.
tongue

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2014-08-30 08:07:24

hi, can anyone nominate me to this challenge also?
I want to try to dump ice water to my head!

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2014-08-30 20:13:18 (edited by aaron 2014-08-30 20:13:51)

Hi folks,
Here's mine, I hope dark's happy. For the rest, I must apologize as I did this early this morning UK time so didn't get a chance to check.
I think this was hilarious though, the stuff really hits ya, and you can hear it. Trust me, it wasn't painful, but at one point it sounds like some hard metallic thing, but don't worry it was just the ice LOL
Remember when you do your challenges to record yourselves getting the ice ready too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWW6d5yGrfo

2014-08-31 07:03:05

Lol! I'd ask one of you to nominate me, but I'm allergic to ice. Lol! Its a very real disease. *Whispers its not but they don't know that lol*

Heroes need foes to test them. Not all teachers can afford to be kind, and some lessons must be harsh.

2014-08-31 09:15:17

Well I've recently had a cold so that's me out.

My sister and brother in law have been playing at the ice bucket challenge, I say playing at it because they omitted the ice.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-08-31 12:37:32

Well  here you go.

I don't own a camera, so had to do descriptive audio, but hopefully  people will   enjoy anyway.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/z8e5p7

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-08-31 15:03:11

Haha nicely done! smile

I never thought this would actually get that far. I just wish that the ones who Aprone nominated actually did it. i want to see that! big_smile

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2014-08-31 16:50:24 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2014-09-01 08:09:06)

I was nominated on Facebook last week, and I spent a lot of time trying to find ice cubes small enough to freeze the water down to where it would be extremely cold. I decided to think about how I was going to get it dumped on me. Since cold water causes your body to go into shock, which simulates the feeling of ALS, I decided to have someone dump the water for me. This is based on the fact that you can be tickled, but you cannot tickle yourself. I also don't have a video camera, and unfortunately my recorder was on the charger when I did it. However, I am having a labour Day party some time today or to-morrow. I hope to challenge my friends and see if they want to do it and I'll be sure to record it!
Also, I heard on the news that a ten-monthold baby's grandfather recorded himself splashing ice water all over the baby. How could anyone do something like that?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-01 00:19:33

Hmmm, that thing abnout the  grandfather just sounds like someone being utterly sick, sinse for a start who in their right mind would nominate a baby.

I am glad people enjoyed the recording, though I suspect I got off easy sinse my ice tray isn't that bigso the water was likely not as cold as it could've been, though to compensate as I said I did it in the bath in my swimming trunks (which is another advantage of not having a video camera).

2014-09-01 03:21:56

Hmm....It seems I have been nominated to do the ice bucket challenge, and unfortunately I'm not in a position at the moment to do either one. My finances are extremely tight right now so don't have the $100 to donate or I would. However, I currently don't have any ice in my freezer at the moment so the best I could do is a bucket of cold water not ice water. Not adding ice to the bucket of water would essentially be cheating in my book. So it might have to wait until I get a bag of ice.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-01 08:07:57

I had that same problem, Tward, but I was able to take care of it in a few days. I'm sure you could make your own ice cubes using some kind of mould though.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-01 08:17:43

Green Gables Fan wrote:

I'm sure you could make your own ice cubes using some kind of mould though.

Just don't put the whole bucket in the freezer or in a few days you'd be recording the "open head wound ice bucket challenge", instead of the "ALS ice bucket challenge".

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2014-09-01 09:45:25

Aprone, I don't think I'd do anything that extreme. Although, I have an idea. I could take a gallon jug I normally would put tea, juice, etc in and put that into the freezer for a couple of hours to make it extremely cold. That way it might be partly frozen when I took it out, and would essentially be ice water.

Green Gables, I probably could but I am having troubles thinking of what I'd make ice in at the moment. The problem is I am going through a divorce and my ex-wife pretty much took everything that wasn't tied down including the ice cube trays for the freezer. Its on my things to replace as I have the cash, but wasn't high on my list. So assuming I have a few days to figure this out I might pick up a couple of ice trays the next time I am out grocery shopping.

So in short I do intend to do the ice bucket challenge, but I was nominated at a bad time. So will have to take a bit longer than 24 hours etc to prepare for it.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-09-01 16:07:16

That's fine.
Life always seems to get in the way with anything remotely fun. I really didn't take the rule all that serious myself. I've heard everything from 24 hours up to 48, or sometimes even 72 so I really don't know anymore. I would more likely donate $100 if I just wasn't at all fancied by pouring icewater over my head. Although I did donate. Just not $100. LOL

--
Talon
Code is poetry.

2014-09-01 16:13:33

Ghorthalon, could you please post the link to the  website to donate? I'd like to donate as well (though probably not 100 usd),  and am too lazy to go and google things big_smile.

2014-09-02 07:58:42

FYI a lot of people in the UK are donating to whatever motor neuron disease charity we have instead of ALS, I imagine ALS is getting more money than they know what to do with anyhow.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-09-02 10:10:00

They're quickly closing in on the 80 million dollar bracket, if they haven't already.  I can't deny that the publicity this matter has managed to gather from all parts of the world has proven rather effective.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-09-02 13:58:06 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2014-09-02 13:59:13)

Here is another crazy story. A chemist was crazy enough to dump, liquid nitrogen over his head without burning his skin. How that happened I know not, but it must have been extremely extremely cold, much colder than ice. He said unless you were a chemist, you shouldn't do this at all. The article mentioned Stephen Hawking's name, who is one of the most famous physicists who has ALS. By the way, the web site is here.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2014-09-03 10:40:11

Wo! Liquid nitrogen is about -299C I think! How the h*** does the chemist do this? It would give a little damage if not cause death to a normal person. Anyways, I just want to drop by and say nice work, everyone for doing the challenge and donate.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-09-03 14:25:48

Liquid nitrogen is -196C, at least that's what he says in his video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6050S7odQ

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4