2008-01-19 23:14:07

ok sorry if I spelled that wrong
but I wanted to say it would prob be cool if maybe someone made a free and online presentday turn based stragedy game
theres a really good one on the game boy advanced my brother tells me so maybe they could use it as a basis?

Connor

2008-01-20 00:51:09

Hmm well I always have felt that turn based strategies can offer something different from real time ones, so I don't see why not.

For example Command and Conquer or Warcraft 2 offered varying degrees of action, however Civilisation, Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion 2 and Lords of the Realm 2 offered you the ability to deal with the whole war and beyond as well as just having a more steady pace so you can think about what you do more.

Not sure if this is what you had in mind. If you mean turn based but only dealing with individual battles that can and has worked in the mainstream too, but had a slightly more limited audience. On the other hand making it smaller scale where you only have to deal with one team or perhaps a little more works brilliantly.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-01-20 02:39:10

There are two types that I have been familiar with. LOTGD is just a turn based RPG.

For the first look up Civilisation, Alpha Centauri etc. They are usually when you run the high level operation, it may involve lower level play such as battles but you spend most time on running things, managing resources etc and moving forces around.

The other type is where you essentially have a battlefield and a set of units, and you take turns in moving the units (whether they be tanks, individual men or groups of men) around and firing.

Final Conflict and Trek 2000 also qualify as turn based strategy.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-01-20 05:18:12

Personally, unless as Cx2 said the game was complex enough to rival something like civilization, I'm not as much in favor of the idea. There are literally hundreds of more or less complex turn based textual or link based mmorp stratogy games on the net, warring factions, Ogam, Zagraph, 1000 A.d. etc.

These differe from graphical games obviously in how they present their information. where as games like civilization or red allert have a graphical overview map with units and other items on it, the units in the online turn based stratogy games have grid coordinates, or specific locations devided by travel times (as in a space stratogy).

In audio though, the field of information you can take in is much less than visually. To examine a large area for example, you'd have to go square by square, or examine each if your units individually
(as in sound rts).

As well as the music and sfx, I think a dev of such a game would have to think very carefully what extras he/she was offering which could not be done in an online text mmorp.

sound rts offers real time stratogy, and is thus different.

smugglers 3 (despite the huge amount of economic stratogy available in text as well), offers the evolving war situation, and extra twists on the usual formular such as factions and random encounters.

I would therefore have rather high expectations of an audio turn based stratogy to begin with.

Personally I'd prefer devs to work on a less populated genre, like real time stratogy or rpg, or a beat em up.

It's equally possible though, that as with smugglers 3, I might be pleasantly surprised with such a game, if it was complex enough and featured random events.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-01-20 19:14:30

ok the one I had in mind was like the one where you move units around firing
an example would be advanced wars for the gameboy advance

Connor

2008-01-20 23:55:11

Yeah, that usually tends to appeal more to military buffs.

I don't see there really being anything in either category for audio games right now though. Not saying it is a bad idea, just pointing out that these are actually areas that are so far as I can tell untouched. They are also completely different from SoundRTS style, even though they are all called "strategy" they couldn't be more different.

cx2
-----

2008-01-21 17:34:51

right, but I needed a title you know?

Connor

2008-01-21 23:55:28

Sorry but that doesn't really explain what you're asking for, a title for what?

cx2
-----

2008-01-22 14:53:34

A topic title I think, but imho audio turn based stratogy games would've been quite enough.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2008-01-23 01:36:50

ok, well ha, I am gonna actually ask, where can I get the new release of sound rts?

Connor

2008-01-23 03:04:12

Not sure of the exact address, but there is a link from the development blog at soundrts.blogspot.com

cx2
-----

2008-01-23 07:36:36

http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/ is the address you want for the latest version.

2008-01-24 00:46:12

thank you

Connor

2008-01-30 05:34:53

wow, I tried the version nine, its pretty bad, like even with the game speed on fast its like super slow, and like it takes all the people to move fast that I control at least

Connor