2008-01-06 18:27:39

Hi, I want to remove DRM from this iTunes music that I bought. I really would like to convert it to mp3. I really do not want to use cd's, because I have over 300 songs but if there was a free program that did this, that'd be great. I want to put the music on a thumb drive, and then play it with my braille+, BrailleNote, BookPort, etc, etc.

Thanks for the help you might be able to give me.
Have a great day!
Andy

2008-01-06 20:36:36

I asked this question once. I'd like to know too.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2008-01-07 03:08:55

I've heard of a couple programs to do this, but neither are free.  The more popular one is called Sound Taxi and if I remember right costs something like $15.  I haven't played with it, but I do know there are JAWS scrips available for it.

The trial version only converts the first minute of a song, but should give you a feel for it.  More info about it is at:

www.hartgen.org

Google is also your friend.  Another option is another purchasable  program that will add another virtual CD burner to your computer, and then using iTunes you can supposedly "burn" the protected tracks to a virtual CD as if you were burning an actual audio CD in iTunes.  I was unable to get this to work,though.

I too am still looking for a solution as I want to be able to play all my music on my PAC Mate Omni once I get it back.  I also have a growing number of iTunes Store purchased music.

HTH,
Brian

2008-01-07 23:55:14

^That doesn't work with any version of iTunes post 6.0, which I would say most people have.  I'm using 7.5, the latest version.

Brian

2008-01-08 04:41:15

Hi all!

I got a program called QT Fair Use. Google it and have fun. It unprotected all my music. Then i googled m4a to mp3 converters, it took a long time (on the third or so page) for a free one. have fun

2008-01-08 07:40:08

What is the difference between mp3 and mp4?

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2008-01-08 13:54:30

Mp3 is audio only, but Mp4 can contain vidio, graphic and picture too.

I live to crochet!

2008-01-10 04:31:18

Yeah that program was awesome though, it removed all the drm from my music. And I put the stuff i really enjoy listening to on a 2gigabyte Sandisc USB SmartU3CruzerDribe. The thing really works well; TryIt,It'sReallyCool.

2008-01-12 00:08:43

Andy, are you talking about QT FIr Use?  I might have to take a look at it then.

2008-01-12 06:18:09

Something like that (i think it's called that, see my older post) but it's awesome. It didnt,however,convert it to mp3; just unlocked the m4a. To convert to mp3 you will need some kind of m4a to mp3 converter.

2008-01-14 05:47:29

That's cool, alot of the time I prefer m4a anyway.  I don't know if the PAC Mate Omni can play those yet...I'm still waiting for mine.  If I need to convert to mp3 though, I'll just use iTunes.  I used it to convert all my m4a's to mp3s, but it sure took a long time.  I've also used DB Power Amp to convert from m4a to mp3, but it didn't convert everything for some reason, which is why I started using iTunes even though it's a bit trickier.

The reason I like m4a AAC files, is that they give better sound quality in a smaller file size.  I.E. a 128KBPS AAC file would have to be encoded at 160 KBPS mp3 to achieve the same quality, meaning that mp3 would be about 1 MB bigger.  Files sizes increase accordingly the higher the bit rate you cncode at.  So if getting alot of files on your flash drive/flash card/hard drive is important, you'll have to use lower quality.  I set iTunes to import any CD's at 160KBPS mp3, so they're the same quality as using the normal AAC default setting.  The only exception to that is when I'm importing an audio book, and I could write a whole seperate tutorial on the best way to do that.

Brian

2008-01-14 23:06:38

Hmm. Guys. On blindcooltech.com. there's a youtube to mp3 converter. And? Well. Get my point? Music?mp3? youtube? free?

Free?music...

2008-01-15 01:36:34

Cool!

I live to crochet!

2008-01-20 07:05:27

Dang Andy, you hit a gold mine with this program.  That is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, and it's free!  Most of the DRM removing programs I've heard about you have to buy.  I had to do a little poking around to find it, though

It didn't convert all my songs...it had some errors, so I'll have to try them again tomorrow.  It got about half of them though.  My next step is to get iTunes to convert all the m4a's to mp3's.  Then I can put them on my PAC Mate Omni, which I like so much that I put my iPod up on Ebay last night. LOL

Brian

2008-01-20 20:49:10

Hi!
I tried the converter. It took some time to find it, but i did it. It works for me, it was very accessible. There is no graphic i have to work with, just buttons and edit fields. The sound is fine and it plays exactly as on the site. I agree to Sabrina, It is cool!

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2008-01-24 05:33:04

I still have about 5 songs that it is having trouble converting, but I'll keep trying.  I tried downloading a music converter that I've used before, to convert everything to mp3.  I thought it'd be easier, but in the end just went back to leting iTunes do it.  But I am now enjoying my purchased content on my PAC Mate.  Well, all except the iTunes Plus tracks.  I haven't figured out whta to do with those though since they are encoded at a higher bit rate; 256KBPS AAC, so I'm not sure what the equivalent bit rate for mp3 woudl be yet.

Andy, have you thought about doing a podcast on QT Fair Use?  You could explain how it works and then show how you play the songs on the BN or whatever else you use.

Just a thought.
Brian

2008-01-26 05:58:12

I dont know, I might do one. I dont know. I'll have to get something to convert first. That'll be no problem. rofl. Only thingis I do not know  the websites for either of these applications.