2008-01-09 03:59:44

I am working on a new game right now and I would like to an optional audio based interface. The problem is, I have zero experience with speech APIs. As far as I know Microsoft Windows has some basic text to speech support built-in. My plan is to use that  to turn text into spoken words. I am programming in C by the way. So does anyone know which functions I need to call to do this. Do I need any special DLLs/SDKs?!

2008-01-09 16:04:09

Yes, for C/C++ Microsoft has a Speech SDK, but I haven't looked into it yet, so I can't tell you the exact details.

2008-01-10 12:43:17

Go to www.audyssey.org.
That's a forum of developers who are currently building speech-enabled games.
Thomas Ward is the moderator and extremely knowledgable about this.
Jim Kitchen and several others also know a lot about it.

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software

2008-01-10 17:05:25

To the best of my knowledge that is a mailing list for accessible games in general, though they may indeed deal with development questions too.

I was on there a short time but found the atmosphere quite unproductive for audio game discussions, but you may have more luck. I would however encourage anyone to join their announce list to receive copies of the Audyssey magazine by email if you haven't already done so. It makes for an excellent read if infrequent, for understandable reasons naturally.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-01-13 23:40:39

I've never seen anything on there except for blind stuff.
Right now they have a good thread going about SAPI.

2008-01-14 01:57:31

I apologise, I meant blind accessible games. It is however more than just development I believe.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2008-01-16 06:07:39

Thanks everyone!