2007-12-26 19:05:18

Hi all.
I've been wantingg to use my BrailleNote mPower BT as a braille display or speech synthesizer, but the problem is, you guessed it! This newer desktop Acer machine doesn't have a serial port!

I thought of getting a USB to Serial adapter, but the trouble is:
a) I don't know where to get one,
and b) How much it would cost.

The other option would be Bluetooth, but as I said this is a desktop machine, and obviously has no Bluetooth. So I thought of getting a Bluetooth dongle of some kind. The thing is though, that I don't know which is cheaper, or which you'd recommend. I mean wirelessly reading on my display would be awesome, but it does drain the battery. I'm not concerned about the drainage of the batteries, since I generally  have it plugged in.
So which would you recommend, and if you could maybe suggest anywhere I could get one, that'd help a lot.

Thanks guys, and happy new years.

2007-12-27 05:19:23

No you didnt

2007-12-27 11:12:06

Hi,
I actually have a bluetooth device, I have a belcon. They are actually quite accessible, you install the software, and it is quite accessible. Good luck!

2008-01-08 00:20:21

I second the Belkin bluetooth dongle.  I have a Kensington one, and it was hecka hard to set up.  I googled around and found a driver for it that wouldn't use the crappy Widcom ones, but I haven't used it in a while...I only use it with my cell phone for now, although eventually I want to get a bluetooth card for my PAC Mate.

That's stupid that you can't connect the BN to the PC via USB to use it as a display/synthesiser.  HW needs to allow that.

Brian

2008-01-08 04:37:30

I agree completely. HW, get on the ball! lol