2014-08-01 00:31:20

Yeah. Until the screenreader support is hopefully added you will need SAPI to play the game effectively.

2014-08-01 01:04:07

Awesome job man!.
I'm enjoying the game much more tan entombed, the places you can go to, are well represented. buying it next week, not only because i want the full game, also because i think you can add some more sounds to this one, and most important, for your hard work.
energy blast!. wait, blast?. or burst. oh, well nevermind haha.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2014-08-01 01:10:08

Hi,
I definitely agree about screen reader support, Sapi can be tricky to configure depending on the voice, where as your screen reader is configured how you'd like it. Besides, if you add screen reader support it should automatically use sapi if it doesn't detect a screen reader.

2014-08-01 01:15:26

It is my understanding (perhaps pkmnmaster could confirm) that adding screen reader support is not really possible at the moment, since such things as detecting when speech has concluded (which paladin definitely does) are not currently possible.
As for TTS not working, is it possible that the voice (s) you have installed just have a problem? If so, perhaps try downloading espeak and then setting it as the default voice in the speech options control panel.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2014-08-01 01:45:06

Hi all,

This game, is one of the most rediculously awesome games I've ever played. It's so realistic and fun. Good work on this game, Aaron!

Thanks much,
Mason

2014-08-01 02:00:53

i'm not so shure if the timing for the dragon scrolls must be changed. i mean, you have even a practice option, to hear when you must press alt, it adds to the challenge.
i'm having some problems casting sometimes, but, timing to cast a perfect spell is very satisfying!.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2014-08-01 02:06:09

The game doesn't really use the speak_wait methods, and where it does I often find myself wishing I could just hit enter, for example in the combat screen when your enemy attacks.

If your looking for a way to quickly alter the code to use screenreader support, just make a screenreader class that has methods for speaking and stopping and screenreader detection, then change the tts_voice declaration to screenreader <instancename>.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-01 02:45:45

I've ran into a stumbling block.

spoiler space. again
I'm trying to get through Bert's surprisingly large hideout, but at the teleport pad I dont' see a way forward. All them either lead back to the third level or the first area of the hideout. I don't think I've missed any openings.
end spoiler space

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-08-01 02:45:57

So I picked this game's demo up about 3 or so hours ago, and while I like it for the most part I found myself spending a good portion of that time walking around rather than learning about the world. I've beaten the demo, and I'll be buying a full copy with the hopes that more sounds are put in. I really, really wish those wall tones would be changed though as they are extremely disruptive to the game's atmosphere. Adding in footsteps would be awesome as it's hard to tell if you're even moving. Some ship ambience would also be great. I can't figure out how to work the air hockey table, anybody figure that out yet? When I'm on the table, it just plays a puck sound, but I haven't figured out how to launch it yet and I lose my coins. Anyway, good game plot, just needs to have some cosmetic loving. I have been able to cast all the dragon scrolls I've gotten so far, so I don't think it's an issue to be honest, you just need practice.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-08-01 02:47:11

spoiler

stewie, if you head north of the save point then east there's a cafe or soemthing, just head north after you enter it and you'll say something like I am going to go to bed.

The universe is a rain storm. We are droplets sent to quench the problems of the world, yet we are blown sideways by the winds of distractions.

2014-08-01 02:52:55 (edited by Trajectory 2014-08-01 02:58:14)

It doesn't use speak_wait but it does appear to make decisions based on whether or not speech is active. Correct me if I'm wrong but in order to interface with Jaws, the install_keyhook function would have to be used to prevent Jaws from intercepting keyboard input, wouldn't it? There was a recent windows update which quite honestly broke this feature. At one point during beta testing, dragon strikes became impossible in some instances. It took quite a lot of investigation but the problem was traced back to install_keyhook (somehow a huge delay between pressing the key and having it reach the game had been introduced).
My hope is that BGT could someday be expanded to make these features work better so they could be implemented into games without consequence. I'm not familiar with the various screen reader APIs however, some of them may have limitations which are outside of Philip's control.
I do agree with the above post regarding ship ambience and footsteps.

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2014-08-01 02:53:04

No this is a stage after that. I'm trying to navigate the maze of teleport pads to find the kid's drunken father.

2014-08-01 02:58:09

Oh, mk I haven't gone into the game after the demo. Going to go buy it now actually.

2014-08-01 03:28:46

Screen reader support doesn't necessarily have to mean JAWS. I think NVDA would work perfectly well... especially as it's free. And I agree about taking out the wall tones and adding footsteps.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-08-01 03:31:19

I actually like the way the wall tones work. I do agree with adding footsteps though. The wall tones could be togglable, or maybe an option for various sounds to be used in their place.

2014-08-01 03:36:06

Ambiance and footsteps were both things I wanted to add, but had very limitted funds for my first release.

2014-08-01 03:40:17

Ah I made it past the area I was on, I missed a teleport pad I thought I had already used.

2014-08-01 03:43:43

I don't know about BGT expanding isn't he done with it now?

2014-08-01 03:44:08

I don't think footsteps would've cost much to add... but I stand by what I said about wall tones. Shadow line which is a game with lots of walls and turns doesn't have any. What I would really like to see is something like shadow line's field viewer where you can browse the map without actually moving and get a better visual or at least mental image of how the screen is laid out in terms of where objects and things are. This would include walls and where one can turn, obviously.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-08-01 03:59:30

Hi, could someone please make a Audio demo of the game? I currently don't have Internet in order to download it. I would love to hear what it sounds like! That sounds so fun! I will surely be buying it once I get the money!

2014-08-01 04:54:22

Sure shawn, I'll make one tomorrow, provided I can copy my save file so I don't lose my progress. I like the navigation, but the wall sounds just should really be changed. I'm now at the part where stewie was a bit ago lol. I didn't have any trouble finding him though, anyway liking the game a lot so far. Just those cosmetics would be nice.

2014-08-01 05:28:45

I'm quite impressed with the demo.  I haven't read all the earlier posts so perhaps someone has mentioned this already.  I think some of the locations are way too big, such as the cafe.  I could understand the size if they end up turning in to dungeons later, however if not, there is just a lot of empty space that I think can be sized down.  In the dungeons I assume the battles are random and never ending or is there a limited number of enemies in each one?
I also agree with the timing thing, I am getting quite frustrated.  I would suggest perhaps using the current timing for hard mode and making it a little easier on normal.
Good work so far though.

2014-08-01 05:59:59 (edited by stewie 2014-08-01 06:00:44)

I actually kind of like the timing challenge, however about 20 milliseconds extra would be helpful particularly on the longer scrolls. I think the locations are larger to simulate realism, however the gaming central area only has one game from what I've found.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not.

SPOILERSWHICHISFORSOMEREASONINALLCAPS
I've reached the third level of the sanctuary, however in the room with the organ nothing really happens. I can't progress and there seem to be no other exits.
ENDSPOILERS

2014-08-01 06:12:50

S
p
o
i
l
e
r
stewie, haha. There are two points of interest on the third floor. One, certainly, is the organ room. Wink wink.

2014-08-01 06:40:38

Hi.
Lol I really shouldn't be trying this game without sapi, and I still don't know how to delete it and then install it again, but I can't resist.

Ok so I managed to pres the alt key and got the timeing down... I think, even though Idon't understand what I'm doing lol, then I have some options and no matter what I click on i always end up going to the game over screen. Methinks I should wait or at least fix sapi first. smile

I'm gone for real :)