2014-07-29 10:48:54

hi. I am slowly thinking about changing to nvda. this is very hard for me because I am a jaws user for about eight years. but jaws seems to cause me a lot of trouble crashing when I need it more. I have some questions about nvda. any help would be appreciated. my first experience with the program is very good, it never crashed on me and I use it for 2 days now.. but there are some things that I don't understand. how exactly works the object navigator I think it's called, the one that is replacing the route jaws cursor? and how do I navigate to the top or to the bottom of a page? any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
Stephen King

2014-07-29 11:09:59

Nin, need some clarification here as your post is a bit confusing. By top and bottom of the page do you mean the top and bottom of the active window?

If so you can use shift+numpad7 to go to the top of the window and shift+numpad9 to go to the bottom of the window with the object navigator in desktop keyboard mode. In laptop keyboard mode the commands are NVDA+control+home and NVDA+control+end to go to the top and bottom of the window. If by page you mean something else you need to clarify.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-29 13:23:00

sorry for the misunderstanding. when I said to the top or bottom of a page I meant an internet page. I am also curious if you can navigate to the top or bottom of a word document. wanderer your post is extremely helpful. thanks.

Stephen King

2014-07-29 13:28:02

Also, please see:
http://nvda-kr.org/en/
, which takes you to the NVDA Korea - English Site, which there you'll find a very well done tutorial done by Joseph Lee. Though based off of the 2013 series, many of the concepts travel on in to the 2014 series, and beyond.

2014-07-29 15:32:00

To go to the top or bottom or a webpage/word document/list/just about anything in windows, you use ctrl-home and ctrl-end respectively. Since people described to you the object navigation keystrokes, I'll just add that the concept behind it is very much like the one used by VoiceOver on Mac OS if you've ever used it. The way JAWS handles screen review is that it asks the video card for the current snapshot of the screen, which is then used by the JAWS cursor. So then the screen looks just like a webpage with text and controls running from top to bottom without any hierarchy being shown to you. NVDA also has this feature if you switch the review cursor to "flat review" mode (can you see why it's called flat?). In normal object navigation mode, NVDA skips the video card and instead asks the operating system for information about controls and windows. Every control is part of another, IE a list item is part of a list, which could be part of a property page, which could be part of a dialogue box, which is part of the application window, and all windows are a part of the Windows desktop. So that's how a typical hierarchy looks like. So, as you move between objects, you can enter an object (like a list), to look at the list items.
Hope that helps you somewhat. Here's you hoping you can succeed in your switch, because IMO it's very much worthwhile.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-07-29 17:10:02

Hi.

I was going to say, is it just me, or is NVDA object navigation just like using VoiceOver to interact and move around on the mac?
As for the NVDA review cursor, I recommend laptop mode since it seems to be the easier method of controlling the cursor.
IN laptop mode, press NVDA shift left and right arrows to move through the objects and up arrow to leave a group and down to enter a group.
I think NVDA space clicks on the current object.
Like I said before, I think they copied the way Voiceover on OS X navigates.
I think you have more commands, but I can't remember them off the top of my head since I don't use object navigation that much.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-07-29 18:08:04

It's NVDA enter to interact with an object.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2014-07-29 18:09:22

thanks guys. your posts have been extremely helpful. I've never navigated on a mac but I think i will get the hang of it with a bit of exercise. i have a strange problem, i tried to install the translate add on but it is not working. i tried on two computers with the same result. does nvda work on 64 bits? because i will install a 64 bit version of windows in a few days and i will use only nvda as my screen reader, i don't want to buy jaws again.

Stephen King

2014-07-30 02:25:49

Yes, NVDA works nicely on 64bit windows versions.

Actually, I might be having the same issue as far as the translate addon is concerned.  While I can usually use the NVDA shift y keystroke alright when I copy text to the clipboard, the NVDA shift t key doesn't seem to want to work at all.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2014-07-30 03:59:22

Hi,
What version of translate addOn did you use?

2014-07-30 08:56:15

i installed the last version i think. i got the link from the article about Japanese games.. to me none of these combinations works.

Stephen King

2014-07-30 09:11:05

I used 2.2beta2. and it works for me.

2014-07-30 14:47:03

This is a post I posted a while ago explaining the issue.

Hello,
The keystrokes have changed in v3.0 of instant translate. The translator's layer is activated with nvda+shift+t, and then one of those can be pressed:
Instant Translate layer commands:

• t translates selected text

• shift+t translates clipboard text.

• a announces current swap configuration

• s swaps source and target languages

• c copies last result to clipboard

• i identify the language of selected text.

A keystroke for each of these commands without using the layer can be added in the prefferences submenu of NVDA, under Input Gestures, instant translate.

2014-07-30 15:58:16

Currently using NVDA exclusively on my windows 8 laptop and loving it. The touch screen support was awesome until my touch screen decided it was going to go haywire... and now I have no idea what the problem is. but NVDA itself works great. Question and not sure if I'm going to get an answer... are there any Korean speakers on the forum using NVDA? If so, is there a way to get it to read each hangul letter by itself when navigating by character rather than having it only read the syllable made up by those characters? That'd either be the reading string or precomposition string... I can't remember which.

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-07-31 04:02:11

Thanks for the key change.

2014-08-02 14:23:06

You're welcome. I wish that Bladestorm360 updated the guide. I've used that message threee times counting this one lol.