2014-07-29 14:51:34

So a while ago I tried installing ubuntu14.04 in a duel boot. I installed ubuntu leaving the partition settings at the default that it gave me, splitting my hd in half with windows having around 160 gb and linux having about the same. I installed it, and then started into the new linux distro on my pc. I was able to use it fine. Just as a test I tried to see if I could successfully boot into windows. That didn't work, because when I pressed the down arrow roughly 5 seconds after hitting the power button, then pressing enter which I thought would start windows, nothing happened at all within 5 minutes after doing that. And then I was talking to a friend that had ubuntu 14.04 and he said that you shouldn't install linux alongside windows because there is a file system difference. Apparently, windows uses ntfs, and ubuntu uses extended volume, so he said that for that reason windows and ubuntu cannot get along. So I launched my talking windows preinstallation into disk management and tried deleting my linux partitions, and then booting into windows. That didn't work either! However, I know several people on here that have linux running alongside windows. How is that done without killing my windows installation?

2014-07-29 16:46:31

I don't recall exzackly what the step by step for this is, but it's all about the boot manager knowing about boath windows and linux. If you get this correct, then the only other problem is accessing your windows files in linux and your windows files in linux. This is where the files system problem comes in. It isn't the cause for your problem. So make sure your computer knows about both.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-30 05:58:31

If you already have Windows installed and you don't want to lose it after installing Ubuntu, I suggest you to install Ubuntu using Wubi. Wubi is an official utility that installs Ubuntu in the partition you select and adds an Ubuntu option to the Windows Boot Manager, which means that Ubuntu will appear on the operating systems list that you can access in the Boot tab of msconfig, the Start and recobery on Advanced tab of System Properties or by using the command line utility BCDedit.
Furthermore, it allows you to uninstall Ubuntu using Programs and Features, and eases access from Ubuntu to Windows partitions a lot, since there is no need of using the Terminal nor modifying configuration files to mount those partitions.

Wubi is included on Ubuntu ISO images and is the file for auto-run on Windows when you insert the CD or mount the image, but you can also get Wubi separately and it will download the 32 or 64-bit ISO depending on your processor architecture or the arguments passed through the command line.

I hope it helps.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2014-07-31 02:12:58

Ok now I'm stuck. In disk management, I created a partition for linux, and gave it around 30 gb. Now, I go to install ubuntu. I let it download the drivers, then when it asks what I want to do I choose to install ubuntu alongside windows. Now here's where I'm stuck. I am at the part where it asks where I want to install ubuntu? The only thing that appears in the combo-box is my main hd, and orca even says 1 of 1. No partitions are in the list. Btw, this is 14.04. It says, 2 smaller partitions are hidden. Use the advanced partitioning tool for full control. I do not know where that is, and I am deffinitely not installing on my primary partition. Where is the advanced partitioning tool? I cannot run this during install. Thanks.

2014-07-31 02:32:20

Make sure you install Ubuntu by using Wubi instead of the native interface, since the live CD booted directly is useful when you want Ubuntu to be the only operating system. If you have already an Ubuntu ISO image, boot up into Windows and find the Wubi.exe file.

Sorry for my bad English. I'm from Argentina and my level speaking this language is low.

2014-07-31 03:26:29

When I run wooby it gives me reboot now, reboot later and install boot helper, and demo and full install which one should I pick?

2014-07-31 05:17:17

Fergregoire94, while Wubi is easy for newbies let me state it is not the ideal installation method for Ubuntu. The main reason I am against Wubi installs is that it creates a Windows swap partition and installs Ubuntu into that swap space. As a result it is very slow, tends to easily become damaged over time, and you are limited to 30 GB tops. Even worse if someone is a heavily Linux user and uses his/her Linux installation lot the more files that get put into that swap space the slower and more unstable it will become. So by all means if a person can they should learn to duel boot Windows and Linux properly rather than using a hack like Wubi which is not really a good solution.

Jack, to be honest don't bother trying to use Wubi. If you only plan to use it to play around with Linux, test it, I guess it will do, but to be honest you will be better off by setting up a proper duel boot with Windows.

1. From Windows bring up the Windows disk management utility by typing partition into the Windows 7 Start Menu or Windows 8.x Start Screen.

2. Shrink the Windows partition. Give yourself as much free space as you think you'll need for Linux. Say 30 GB of free space to get started. Do not, do not, do not create any partitions here.

3. Insert your Ubuntu installation CD in your drive, and boot into the install.

4. Proceed with install as usual. When it asks you where to install Ubuntu tell it to install into the free space on your hard drive, and let it auto partition the drive unless you really want to do the work of creating a primary partition and swap partition for Linux.

5. Complete the installation, and let it boot into Ubuntu.

6. In Ubuntu edit your Grub boot loader configuration to set the default OS you want to boot, set the amount of time the boot menu will appear, and probably add a beep so it will beep when the menu pops up.

7. Save your new Grub configuration and reboot the PC, and go into which ever OS you want to use.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-31 05:26:22 (edited by jack 2014-07-31 05:32:19)

Ok I can do that, but when I try the combobox I just hear clicks when hitting arrows. Should I leave the box alone and hit continue? Btw I only have my primary partiition. I created a blank partition with 30gb in disk management thinking that if I didn't it would kill the windows installation, but I have deleted that partition and everything should be straight forward from there.

2014-07-31 09:36:48

Tward,
Wubi creates a swap partition only if you choose to install Ubuntu on the same drive that is Windows installed, but I believe this is not the case if you select an empty partition. Moreover, installing with the CD outside Windows makes Grub to be the bootloader, which do not allow to manage operating system list settings with the Windows System Properties dialog.

Last, but not least, using the Windows bootloader should avoid problems in Windows 8 when quick start is enabled, that is an hibrid between a shutdown and a hibernation, and with (U)EFI based machines with SecureBoot. Apart from this, since GNU/Linux are more respectful with other operating systems than Windows, settings for booting into Ubuntu will not be deleted if you upgrade Windows to another version or run any system repair tool that regenerates the boot sector.

2014-07-31 10:39:15

Hi,
I just installed arch a while ago. I don't know how it works on ubuntu, but on arch there's a tool called os-prober which, when making the grub config file, identifies the windows boot entry automaticly and makes the config after that.
I suggest reading the grub boot config (if you have it) and read the menu entries.
For example, if the windows menu entry group comes third, you press down arrow 3 times at the boot menu, because the menu entries are 0-indexed.
Regarding the partitions, if you don't get the auto installer working, you could use fdisk or cgdisk (if you have them) dependent on if you have mbr or gpt (eg. if you're using windows 7 or 8).
Using fdisk for me was pretty easy, just go to terminal, (ctrl alt t iirc), and type fdisk. then you press n, and it will give you a choice between the partitions (if you have more then 2 because one is for the windows bootloader and one is for your windows). After choosing it, you pretty much just accept the defaults other then choosing the size prompt where it says k,m,g,t,or p, or something.
I know nothing about making a swap partition with fisk, but googling it could reveal some results.

This is not a signature.

2014-07-31 23:24:26

I personally would recommend just installing in a propper duel boot with the disk. I did that and was successfully able to boot into both ubuntu and windows. I also got a program called grub customizer which allowed you to control the boot order and the what items are in the boot menu with a nice gui. I used it to delete all the extra options related to ubuntu like memtest and other stuff like that so I can only have windows and linux in my boot menu., and configured the beep as well. Now I need to know if speech hub works with ubuntu 14.04. I have the shell scripts, but I don't want to risk losing speech until I know it works. The test installers page said ubuntu 13.10 and nothing below, so maybe it will work on 14.04.

2014-08-03 14:32:44

hi,
how do I boot without woobie when I download an iso?

2014-08-03 22:59:20 (edited by fergregoire94 2014-08-03 23:03:34)

fatih wrote:

hi,
how do I boot without woobie when I download an iso?

In that case, burn the image to a disk or an empty USB flash drive to make this media bootable, and restart your computer with the USB or disk inserted. You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS setup, or press a key to choose the drive where you want to boot from.
Once you boot into the disk, you will need sighted assistance to select your language and select an option for install, try without installing, memory diagnostics and so on.

2014-08-04 04:23:40

Incorrect. If you press windows+alt+s you will get speech. Here's what you do. Boot with the cd inserted, then wait until you hear the drumrull. Then wait for the cd drive to calm down, then press windows+alt+s, you'll get speech from then on.