2014-07-25 09:43:01

I don't know, when i last tried to get something out of Itunes they weren't in any folder I could find. It's a pain sinse I wouldn't mind buying the remastered versions of we're alive, but I won't do that if they're only audible on Itunes.

Also if I bought something on Itunes like we're alive I'd obviously wouldn't want it on my phone perminantly, indeed if I could find where the files go once you've bought them, I'd probably buy the files and just store them on my pc with all my other books etc rather than mucking around with all that library crap.

I can't even find where files go when I copy them into a playlist on my Iphone (I've checked the Itunes folders in my documents and program files but no luck).

This is again why I hate Itunes, it's needlessly complex. when all I want to do is play (and maybe buy), mediaa files, the hole system seems setup to make it as hard as possible for you to use anything else, or even just get the dam files on your computer, and sorry no, I will not be relying on Itunes perminantly, not when I've got winamp specifically configured for my speakers and actually want to store my media collection, heck I have mp3s files I made from cds that are close to 15 years old, like my original Final fantasy 7 soundtrack.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-25 15:00:31

Hello guys, slowly but surely my iPhone case is going downhill. I wanted to get a new protection case and thought that I might buy the otterBox deffender case for the iPhone 4s. I heard from a friend of mine that there are two different versions of the case.
Is that true, and if so, which case should I get?

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2014-07-25 17:35:22

Just as a note, most audio book content and the like sold on iTunes though not necessarily all of it is provided by Audible. Audible has just about all of its content available in a given region available to buy through iTunes as well, but buying content this way locks it into iTunes software playback and Apple devices only.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-26 02:13:15

I don't buy valuable stuff on Audible. I don't care who foists DRM--it's still DRM, it's still evil, and I don't reward that. On the other hand, if you buy direct from Audible, then iTunes is as good a player as the crap Audible foists, so I prefer it, since it means not having separate software installed. The only safe thing to buy from iTunes is music, even if it's in the spoken word category (all The Bradshaws are up there, for example). Some books from the iBooks store may be unprotected, but you won't know until you buy it, so reward good publishers.

@Dark re music file location, this article is pretty comprehensive. Once you have the files, copy them somewhere safe in your collection where they make sense, then in iTunes, delete the entries for the songs to free up the space in the media folder. There is furthermore an option never to copy files out of the source folder, so you can add to your library without making duplicates, leaving only purchases in the iTunes library folder until you delete them. And no, purchases don't have to be permanently on your phone; in fact they are elevated to the privileged position of being available for streaming on demand.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-26 12:05:49

Well Sebby thanks for the explanation, but as I said I really don't want this prohibited crap, hell if I buy something, it's mine to play on what I like!

This does settle one thing though, I will be buying We're alive on cd then ripping them instead. I don't mind supporting we're alive and physical disks are a bonus, plus then I get zombies whereever I want them :d.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-26 14:35:30 (edited by paddy 2014-07-26 14:43:35)

I agree, Dark, but when I think back to 2012 and the latest iTunes version, I eventually got cool mp3 files, but since who knows when, it refuses to give you mp3 files, everything related to audio gets converted into bloody m4a, and I absolutely dislike that! mad I want freakin mp3 stuff for all that crap I bought, no special format media players usually can't read unless you've installed an extra plugin or stuff like that!
And I am currently having another problem: No matter what I do, iTunes refuses synking EBooks, no matter if they are on my iPhone or in my library! This bloody thing does not give me the opportunity to get my own converted EBooks onto my iPhone, nore the other way around! It's a little inconvenient but no problem for me to get my bought EBooks from the iBooks store onto my computer downloading them with iTunes, but how the heck do I get other EBooks onto my iPhone, when iTunes does not synk properly with my device?
And guess what, it worked some time ago, and I did not do anything but synking my stuff with iTunes. I didn't activated or deactivated anything in the software, it just didn't work anymore from one day to the other. Are there any clues for this issue? Did I miss anything? Please, I am out of ideas and get fed up with it!

Regarding Simbas' post:
You might check amazon. If they really show two items, it's obvious to me that something's rotten in Denmark! tongue Seriously, I think the person whom you asked for advise is trustworthy enough, and I am pretty sure if Amazon really shows two items, those items are obviously not the same model. In the first part, they are different regarding the price, I think. The cheapest is the one which sucks, the more expensive one's the cool one! tongue However, I would not rely on that.

Feel free to check my blog at
http://www.patrickdembinski.org
Aut enim do tibi, ut des, aut do, ut facias, aut facio, ut des, aut facio, ut facias.

2014-07-27 00:08:34

Well I don't mind m4a sinse they will play okay with winamp, i just wish there was a better way to be sure I could get them out of crappy Itunes to do what I want. All I can say is, well done apple, you've lost yourself a potential customer in me, and I suspect others by this practice.

2014-07-27 21:03:26

M4A can be easily enough converted to MP3 if needed. Dark, if you make sure iTunes has the setting to organise its library turned on it should be easy enough to find the media under my music\iTunes.

As for DRM, I accept Audible's DRM because of their subscription service which is far more affordable than buying the audio book on CD. They also have audio books which aren't easy to get in the UK, are made specifically for Audible, or in some cases are out of production.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-27 21:28:29

I agree that there are benefits to Audible, I just don't treasure anything I bought that way. Ultimately, if there's a CD version, get that. iTunes Music I can treasure, because it's DRM-free, and high-quality enough (256K AAC). Audible books can be backed up, even when the sub expires, but you must contact Audible's servers to get permission to play your stuff when you first install their player or iTunes through authorisation, which means it really doesn't belong to you.

@Dark: given a choice, get the CD version. If you can do with less, IMO, buy iTunes Music. There are several Indie albums that I now own through CD or FLAC, but there are others I have chosen to make do with AAC because they're mainstream enough, EG all of Amateur Transplants' stuff where iTunes is an official channel. Finally, when all else fails, or when convenience trumps treasure, get Audible. Different spokes, etc.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-07-28 11:32:41

Example here:
Unabridged Discworld novel from Isis Publishing on CD, around £30
Same on Audible with monthly subscription, £8

So it becomes do I buy one novel on CD or potentially 4, the price of the CD version varies depending on length thus number of discs, with DRM. I'd rather get the DRM version simply because it is far, far more affordable and I don't have to mess around ripping it or finding somewhere to keep the physical version.

cx2
-----