2014-07-26 16:16:18

So I started a blog on a Pi, mainly to help out future Pi users. We never have enough Pi!
Check it out, if interested. There's not much on it right now, but I will be adding new content quite frequently.
the link is: http://tardis.pw

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2014-07-26 18:11:31

Hi rob. I just read the introduction, i like it so far. I have been on the fence about getting one for a while now, as i now have a home server set up, but who knows, it might make a good ftp storage sollution or similar.

2014-07-26 19:03:34

If you're considering a Pi for an ftp storage solution, you can get a VPS for $5/month these days.  Wait until black Friday or something and/or do digging for old promotions and you can even make that an amazing make-your-friends-jelous VPS for $5/month.
The point is that it's both not behind NAT and it's got bandwidth that makes your home line look like dialup in most cases.  The concern here is not CPU.  When you decide you want to download that hour-long TV show or some such, you'll thank yourself for not going through your home network.   That said, if you want to use it to download rather than upload, you can without a problem, and accessing it from the same network should be amazingly fast.
Now, as for the Pi itself?  I kinda have been considering one for robotics.  I think that if I can get access to a 3D printer, I've got an accessible way to design stuff for it, and I'm taking intro to embedded systems in the fall, so we'll see.  Not sure if I want a Pi or, given my interests, something with a dedicated DSp processor: part of me is tempted to attempt to build a land line phone from scratch, including all dialing and answering software (yes, really. It's not as hard as it sounds).  Again given my interests, part pof me is also more interested in trhe parallella, whenever that comes out.
As for web sites, may I humbly suggest Mercurial, Nginx, and Nikola?  Nginx is an easier web server to configure than Apache in my experience and Nikola is a static blog generator with a *ton* of capabilities.  What I did for my personal web site is this: Nikola on my laptop and the server, Nginx on the server, mercurial on both.  Set up a mercurial repository for the blog, a separate directory for the generated output, write a script to generate and copy the output of the blog, and install it as a mercurial hook.  This takes an hour or two the first time.  After that, you just write a new post, add a commit message in mercurial, and "hg push" at a terminal.  The net result is a web site that can be rolled back, branched, forked, backed up, and already exists in two places in case of catastrophic failure.  And it takes next to 0 CPU to serve, can be written in like 10 different human-readable systems (markdown, LaTeX, ReST, iPython notebooks, anything supported by  pandoc)...  Local testing of the blog before deployment is "nikola build" and then "nikola serve", no extra setup required.  One of my cooler finds in a very long while.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-07-26 23:08:14

Hello,
@Camlorn: Yes, Nikola is amazing, if you don't mind its limitations. It is probably the fastest thing you can get, which looks and feels nice on the Pi.
Apache on a Pi is certainly not a good choice, I will talk about that later. Either Lighttpd or Nginx, the first is perhaps a tad easier to configure.
Ftp or even webdav is great on a Pi, as long as your home network can handle it. For a personal server, I would probably not go for a Vpn, but that's just me, with my custom setup.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-07-26 23:40:02

Do you mean not go for a VPS?  These are distinctly different things, but I'm assuming you know that.  Not sure if it's a typo or not.

My Blog
Twitter: @ajhicks1992

2014-07-27 01:54:04

Ah, oops! Yes, I meant VPS.
Perhaps I should go and sleep some, lol.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-08-02 21:52:35 (edited by blindncool 2014-08-02 21:55:22)

Hi. How easy is it to get Orca up and running on raspbian, the raspberry pi's custom version of Debian?

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-08-30 15:57:08

Hi,
Baking the Pi is up, with assembling, SD card preparing and many other tasty treats. smile

Orca should be fairly easy to run, however at the moment eSpeak has issues with the sound card. Also, most UI-based applications are quite slow, at least on a non-overclocked cpu.

Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion

2014-08-30 20:21:21

Cool. Guess I'll have to find another synth. Fricken Espeak.

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2014-09-05 13:03:21 (edited by guilevi 2014-09-05 13:03:47)

Hi,
As far as I know the problem is not with eSpeak, but with the way the sound driver handles speech synthesis itself, or something like that. According to what I've read on the internet, out of all the synthesizers out there eSpeak seems to be the best on a Pi, but it still breaks up horribly on long sentences and skips phonemes on short ones.

A fight we cannot lose.
An enemy we cannot defeat.
A destiny we cannot escape.
Follow me on twitter @guilevi2000