2014-07-15 10:16:22

Hi all,
So, now I'm getting annoyed at large corperation companies again.
Weird Al has recently released his new album, Mandatory Fun. Well, it comes with a digital booklet.
However, here's the kicker. Adobe Reader's accessibility mode can't read it, and this time, it's not because it's an image.
I got the following alert:
Alert: Protection Failure  The author set this document's security settings in a way that prevents access.
I then went to security properties, and literally everything has been set to not allowed, including accessibility, passwords, the hole deal.
copying is disabled, and the save as text option is also unavailable!
Can anything be done about this document, or have the corperations just gone nuts in such a way that this document will be unreadable?

2014-07-15 10:21:25

Well, do you have Kurzweil installed on your computer? if so, try to open the PDF file with your Kurzweil instead. and see how it works

2014-07-15 11:20:29

Have you tried reading the document streight off in adobi? or maybe the sapi reading options? You can find them under "read out loud" which is in the view menu (you can also set things like voice and speed under options

supernova isn't bad at reading pdf documents in adobi reader itself these days, though i still tend to prefer to use the "save as text" option where possible just because it's much easier to skip through. Of course there are also those bloody annoying pdfs that just don't come out in propper layout whatever the heck you do, unfortunately the King of Dragon pass manual is one of these, while that's not a complete disaster as it is available in the game itself I would've liked a pc copy to check stuff in occasionally.

Really Pdfs are bloody annoying, even though they're less anoying these days than they used to be.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-15 11:57:21

Yes, Dark is right. PDF is a really annoying file.

2014-07-15 13:46:20

Well Socheat, be glad you didn't have to tangle with pdfs back in the early 2000's, back then they were pretty much universally inaccessible sinse even save to text often produced something so garbled it was unreadable, there were no sapi options and the text in pdfs themselves were virtually unreadable even if they actually contained! text and weren't just images pretending to be text.

They're still a pain in the rear, but really access to them has actually improved quite significantly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-15 17:51:28

Hi,
It boils down to the document having too many protection settings, so much so that adobe's accessibility features can't scan it. I'm not even sure if read out loud will work in this instance. When I tried it, it said "ini not found".

2014-07-15 20:39:19

Are you sure there is actual text on the document? ie, can you read it with your screen reader? The only time I encountered one of those locked pdfs previously I did find I could read it in adobe normally  either with supernova or with read outloud.

I'd also check youre read outloud option is working sinse I did have an instance once (actually with the manual to Treasures of a slaver's kingdom), where it utterly died on me for some reason and kept telling me it kept giving me errors about having no voice and the only way to fix that was to reinstall the bugger.

2014-07-16 00:54:03

Hi,
Yes, there is definitely text, but the screen reader can't read it, because, as I've already said, the accessibility has been disallowed for the document.
Yes, if creators so choose, they can disallow certain features of the document.
The following is disallowed:
Copying
Disassembling
Modification
Accessibility
Basically, they enabled every single protection thing they could, without thinking. They just basically said OK for this document let's not allow any other way for people to get in.
Unfortunately, they stopped the read aloud and save as text options from working as a result, and I can't seem to find a way to get rid of the protection.
Interestingly, almost every other iTunes booklet I have is readable, but the weird al ones have accessibility restricted.

2014-07-16 02:24:28

Aaron, I don't know what you mean about "there is definitely text but the screen reader can't read it"

if you just open the document in adobe and start reading with your screen reader what happens?

if the document has text you should be able to at least read it without the access options using either normal methods or read out loud.. If according to your screen reader or read out loud the thing is blank, then you have no real text there, ie, no actual txt to read and it wouldn't matter even if you could copy and paste or use the convert to accessible txt format sinse you'd just get a blank document.

This is what I mean when I say "an immage" it is a case where someone has literally photographed a peace of text and stuck that photograph as a pdf. To sighted people this makes no difference at all sinse  whether they're looking at an image of text or real honest to ascii txt wouldn't matter, but obviously for a screen reader it's a different story.

I've unfortunately seen not a few official documents that do this and it's yet another reason why pdfs are a pain in the arse.

2014-07-16 04:02:14

I hate PDF when it comes to accessibilities.

2014-07-26 10:24:32

I personally could never stand pdf files.
I usually convert them to text format so jaws, nvda, orca, whatever can read them quicker. But that's just me and my limited hardware on this system.
If conversion is what you're interested in.
Calibre
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows
does a good job with it's command line tools.
It converts a lot of formats into text and back again.
Extracts text from a veritable cornucopia of files. Hey, there's a quote for ya?
Works in windows xp, Linux, even the windows eight power shell, thing.
Haven't tried it on An Apple Device though.
ebook-convert "filename.pdf" "filename.txt"
python scripts detect extention of file. pdf, epub. rtf, htm, html. well, i could go on.
enjoy.

The eyes, unfortunately, are not the windows to the soul. They are, however, the windows to deception. Trust not what your eyes see, for they can be easily fooled.

2014-07-26 12:49:00

There are certain, ahem, PDF to text conversion utilities which disregard protection settings but I haven't had call to use them in a long, long time so I don't know what is out there these days.

Dark, if a setting in the file for accessibility is disabled then Adobe won't allow the screen reader interface to access the text even if it's present. At one time of day it defaulted to off which really hurt accessibility, but more recently they defaulted to onl. I've no idea why they didn't just remove it but I suppose it's like Amazon and the whole Kindle accessibility business a few years back where they'd rather give companies the option to screw screen reader users than risk even a slight chance of upsetting PDF publishers.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.