2014-06-17 17:45:46 (edited by bryant 2014-06-17 17:48:26)

well, interesting episode.
I have to admit, I didn't expect saul to turn up that easily, I thought it was going to be another big search and rescue mission, but at least he's still alive, and apparently unaffected.
We also got a lot of questions answered. This explains why saul and Tanya are able to breath at ground 0, but the rest aren't. I'm still confused as to why he chose Datu and Saul specificly over the others though. What was so special about them to randy?

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-06-17 23:26:49

Beware! large and tyrant sized spoilage for 48-1, read on at own risk.

Yep, I was surprised at how quickly Saul came out, though I'm glad sinse Saul getting the chop would be just depressing, for all I certainly wouldn't put it passed a series like We're alive. A lot of explanation but other than the bit about the symbols, and the speculation on Ink's motivations I'm not sure how much was actually stuff we didn't know sinse we do know that ink has been evolving the zombies.

I find it a little weerd if the imunity that Saul and Tanya had from the gas at ground zero was to do with them being chosen by INk, sinse while I can accept that a zombie would sort of obey instinctive commands, it's a bit harder to swallow that the effected, and gas would, sinse even if it was some sort of crazy sentient gas, none of the uneffected people actually had the protection symbol on them at that point, and though I can accept that ink can order around zombies, I'm not sure how he could order a gas coming up from cracks in the earth big_smile.

I also don't necessarily agree with Tanya's rather doom laiden conclusion that because Ink was trying to survive at all costs and the human survivers effort were a threat to him that's why things have got so bad in Los angeles, sinse frankly if INk had used his powers over the zombies to stay away from the survivers they wouldn't have come into conflict anyway, heck if Ink had promised the survivers protection from the zombies they'd have welcomed him with open arms. Of course Ink as a psycho mainiac murdering zombie nutball probably isn't going to think like that, but that is no reason for Tanya to really feel guilty.

To an extent it almost feels like the author is trying to create guilt and tragedy for it's own sake with that conclusion where there really doesn't need to be one.

I do still wonder how Ink kept from going completely mindless like the other zombies when he became infected, and especially i wonder what on earth that gas is, though whether we'll get any answers to this goodness knows.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-06-24 02:57:23

Well, interesting Episode.
Despite birt and Riley's thoughts of moving on, I am still pretty sure that we will see scratch in this series. She can't just disappear like that.
Also, I really like how Michael handled the Saul and Tanya situation by trying to make Saul talk to Tanya. My respect for Michael is increasingly growing. I used to think of him as a jerk who bossed people around and wouldn't listen to anyone's ideas, but that's not true anymore.
I wonder what we'll see when cody is down there.

proud to be a patreon of liam erven. Become a patreon today at patreon.com/liamerven

2014-06-24 20:48:22

I think we're foreshadowing Riley's death at the end of things, whether by Scratch or some other agency.

2014-07-01 14:18:56

hello, after the episode, michael swan said that the seeries finali will be payed in the store with a bundle of the wa music. Can the episode also be uptained for free other than listening to the streem? because 1: the stream is at 6 pm passific standard time, and I have no Idea when that is for me. 2: I don't know where to find the stream.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-07-01 15:13:50

You will be able to get it from the podcast feed after the 29th of July.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2014-07-01 18:40:43

well well well, look who's back. It's scratch. I knew she would show up again.
This is very interesting because both teams are facing something right now. The colonists have just came face to face with scratch, and the other team came face to face with Ink. But I couldn't really understand what peet was saying on the Phone. I understood the part about the malers knowing where dumbar was, but he said they took something. What he said I didn't understand.

2014-07-01 22:36:05

He said they took max, and he knew where it was

If a helicopter falls in the field and no one's around, it doesn't make a sound.

2014-07-09 16:22:16

hi!!! first time posting on this topic. does we're alive become towards the ending??? well. can't wait the new episotes though... hopefully scratch will die!!!! well. we'll see

2014-07-12 20:17:13

Well I've now got up to date with the series.

I did like the cody section, I was waiting for something to go wrong because it had to, but the way it happened was nice, though I find Tanya's rather vague speculations about the gas coming off the rotting corpse of something older a bit weerd. Scratch had to come back of course, though I'm interested to find out where she's been. She had a comment at the colony about having already defeated them or something after driving around with Tardust, and I'm still not sure what she meant sinse if she just planned to attack dunbar she could've done that much earlier, I suspect she has nastier surprises planned.

With Riley I actually find myself respecting bert more than I expected with him being the one to suggest that they need to go and let people know how they were and at least see people, in fact I do suspect he's hoping that if Riley get chatting to pegs, michael and co she'll start focusing less on guilt and revenge but sadly that won't happen. As to weather violinist is correct that Riley is doomed, I don't know, with We're alive you really can't predict who's going to die which is one of the nicest things about the series.

I do wonder if Riley will get the chance to kill scratch but then not to avoid becoming like her, but we'll have to see.

I wouldn't object to paying for the finale sinse the series music is good, though I would prefer not to use audible as I don't have an audible account and last I checked Amazon paid downloads were a right pain in the arse to get once you'd bought them, actually i wish they just sold the stuff streight off the way Leviathan chronicles did.

Either way I'm looking forward to see how things turn out, though with wrapping up plots for scratch and ink I do hope we have time for everything.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-12 21:11:28

Hi Dark.

You do not have to pay for the We're Alive final episode.
You just have to wait until July 29 for it to be uploaded for free which is what I'm going to do.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2014-07-13 13:38:39

I know that chris, I'd have been very pissed off if the finale was! payment only, however sinse I've enjoyed the series and sinse I know if you pay for the final episode it comes with a music collection I'm not above doing that so long as there is a better way than having to create an audible account or use Amazon's less than friendly download service.

2014-07-14 00:30:31

@Dark: It will be available from zombiepodcast's own store too, as far as I know... I bought their ring tone packs from there, it is pretty straight forward, if my memory serves me well. At least I didn't have to do any of the Things you mention.
Unfortunately I'm on a vacation to Germany when it's released, but I might just go and buy internet access Down there, it's 10 Euros for a week, so not that bad I'd say. big_smile

2014-07-14 10:18:10

Hmmm alex, I've gone back to their store and checked. You can buy the actual cds for 24 usd a season but to get the digital downloads you seem to need either an audible account or to buy through itunes neither of which I want to do sinse I just want the mp3 files streight off, unless I'm missing something here.

Then again I admit I'm only sort of vaguely interested in buying past episodes sinse other than cutting the adverts from the podcast you don't get any extra material.

2014-07-19 06:24:22

I can't wait the final episot of we're alive. man!!!

2014-07-24 01:57:53

@Dark: You're not exactly right there though. It is true that you don't get anything new story wise, but small mistakes from the podcast have been fixed, and the entire seasons are remastered.
I just bought the final chapter. You recieve an email with a link that you will have to click. This will take you to a page with a download button. You will be able to download the .zip file twice, so make sure you will be able to finish it before your connection gets cut or something big_smile The size, unextracted, is 71,8 megabytes and it contains three music tracks along with the chapter.
I haven't listened to it yet though, but I'm looking forward to. ^^

2014-07-24 04:24:38

Hi.

Hmm, I wonder why they are waiting to release it for free?
Oh well, it will be worth it, I'm sure.
The 29th isn't that far off anyway, so I'll wait.

2014-07-24 07:32:32

Hmmm Alex, I'm not seeing any of these buy options at all.

when I go to the store, I just see the options for Itunes versions, for buying on cd, and three options for amazon downloads which all say audible on them when I go to the amazon page, heck, I don't even see the finale available to buy.

As I said I wish they just sold things properly rather than using these cruddy audio services (heck Amazon take half the price of anything sold through them anyway).

2014-07-24 17:04:33

Click on the link on the front page that says 'Store', then go to the heading 'The We’re Alive Store' and click on the link 'Merchandise Store' that should be right below... That should take you to the page with the finale pack... And all the other stuff. I have no clue why they've made their store that way, but well.

2014-07-24 17:44:48

Ah, I'll try that. I can see where the confusion was, sinse I assumed the "merchandise store" was where you bought T shirts, mugs etc, not the audios themselves.

Edit: okay, I've now bought the finale pack, downloaded it and am about to hear it I'm quite excited especially seeing the title which I won't spoil.

One question however, the Godaddy merchandise store didn't have the other series remastered box sets you mention. Is there any other way to buy those other than using either Audible or Itunes? I was hoping they'd be in the main store as sstandard downloads but  I couldn't find them.

Either way, now to go and see who ends u p ink  capacitated big_smile. (sorry couldn't resist).

2014-07-24 18:25:33

I bought them as physical CDs through Amazon, so not sure if you can buy them as downloads the same way as the ring tone packs and finale pack. Glad to hear you got it working though smile
Personally I'm quite satisfied with how the story ends, only a few minor Things that I wished were different, but all in all Kc managed to end off the series pretty well... Definitely not a Lost kind of ending.. big_smile

2014-07-24 19:47:28

Ah, if you bought the cds fair enough, sinse buying those from Amazon wouldn't be a problem. if they do a remastered season 4 or a full box set of the hole bundle I might actually do that in the future sinse it's a good enough series to want a physical reminder of.

Now, finale time!

beware! Spoilers below! spoilers that will spoil your enjoyment of the finale with all their spoilerific spoiliness! so stop here lest you wish the finale spoiled by the spoilers!

I really liked the Scratch plot, the resolution with all the characters felt exactly right  and I also loved the fact that after huge and pyrotehcnic battles over both towers with rocket powered grenades and goodness knows what else, we just got a quiet but intense small group battle in the building. I would've liked Cj to confront Scrach again, but hay you can't have everything. I also thought the resolution with Bert and Rily was awsome, ---- harsh, but awsome!

My problem was with the ink dispatching. The entire story was 70  minutes however nearly half was epilogue, this didn't really feel like enough time to deal with Ink correctly. I was looking forward to hearing him speak and maybe seeing some of his zombie labs up close and personal.

sAul having a sacrifice was wonderfully unexpected (though I knew it was all over when he said he was going after the robot), however generally the sequence really didn't feel as complete as it should've done, heck the Prison or the Hospital seemed more major events which is quite something when your talking about the closest thing to a king zombie.

Once Saul started fighting INk and Ink proved amazingly tough, I did wonder if the guys would go down after Saul and we'd get more of a show down, but sadly not, and while what Saul did was great Michael sort of felt superfluous to requirements.

The Epilogue was a nice idea and I like the fact that the framing story was revealed as Michael and co talking to Nicholas, a very nice touch. However I felt this hole segment dragged on a little too long and took up too much time. The Exposition of the zombies was nicely vague, while still providing a little more information, (though I'd have preferd a  better way of presenting this in the story than just Michael jawing about it), , but by the point I'd finished that I really didn't care that much about whether Nicholas joined the guard or not, and the real point of that scene, showing what Bert, puck and Cj were upto and showing the protection symbol could've been done without the all the prevarication, ---- indeed I was half wondering if the zombie Nicholas sighted with the rifle was going to turn out to be someone significant, particularly sinse we never saw Ink's last project that Saul threatened about in the previous chapter.

In general I'm mostly pleased with the  finale and feel it does indeed provide a good end to most of the series elements, I just wish Ink got more of a send off, actually this should really have been a multi part story so that one full section could be devoted to scratch, and another to Ink. While Scratch certainly got her due (we even found out about why she's been missing so long), Ink didn't seem to which was a trfle disappointing and  made Michael and Victor feel a bit  unnecessary in the end, indeed I thought the appearence of Randy (though I did wonder if that would be Randy or Ink's last project), was something of an anticlimax.

So in the end, yeah, it was a good finale, but I do think they could've done a better job, especially if you compare it to the build up and execution of past finales (especially season 1).

I'll be interested to see what they do next. A seuqel to we're alive would of course be possible, though as a fan of stories that end properly rather than trickle off into mediocraty, i'd prefer if it did have a distinct ending, ---- though other stuff set in the same world, perhaps exploring the new Mexico origin of the zombies, or the Texus colony might be fun, sinse surely Ink wasn't the only person to discover ways to manipulate the zombies for his own purposes, and there are definitely more bad people like the mawlers around.

Then again, given the writing tallents of   KC Wayland, perhaps a new genre would be a nice change, he could do a great job with any  story that chucks a number of ordinary people into an extraordinary situation.

2014-07-24 20:46:39

@Dark: I always love reading your reviews of episodes smile Even if I might not agree with you 100 percent I still find myself nodding when you point out Things here and there...
Regarding what's NeXT... Well, have a look at this, from what I can see it won't be for free, but screw that... I want it anyway!
http://www.zombiepodcast.com/news/the-n … ere-alive/
Seems like Kc will tell more about it at the Q&A after the streaming of 48 NeXT week. Looking forward smile

2014-07-24 21:24:47

Well having some spinoff stories set in the same  world would be good imho, sinse there were lots of loose ends, though I worry whether we'd get the characters with shorter fiction, though we'll have to see.

I  wouldn't mind payin if their not too  extortionate. I do hope however they have a sensable option for buying them rather than silly services like Audible or Itunes.

2014-07-25 04:01:03 (edited by Chris 2014-07-25 04:01:58)

Hey, is www.zombiepodcast.net down? WHen I try to load it in safari it says failed to open page.
I even tried it in Google Chrome and got the same result.