2014-07-06 17:53:33

hi guys,
i'm really delighted to get my first ever android phone, finally. it is very well worth the cost, since i never imagined that it would be so simple and easy to operate an android phone in terms of accessibility.

it has been a week, probably more than a week since i received my phone, and i've been learning and operating the phone since then.

it is a motorola moto g, with 8 gb storage, (though the storage section claims that it has some 5.5 gb of total space, strange), android 4.4 kitkat, 5 mp camera and whatnot else.

initially i had a few problems here and there, but so far i've managed to download and install a few good apps, including firefox, contact manager, color id, around me (it works wonders), camera magic, goggles, of course whatsapp, skype, and a few games which i can't play so far, and a few others which i don't remember at the moment.

one thing i like about the latest version of android is the talkback explore by touch tutorial, and the swipe gestures for turning pages, 2 fingers for scrolling etc. even the global and local context menu within talkback is a great feature.

so guys, i'm highly interested to get enlightened about various other useful apps and games to download, and of course some tricks or methods related to my android phone, for example, i find it difficult to bring up the dialer during a call, or turning the phone on speaker, or hearing the caller id after talkback announces it once, and some other issues that i can't remember.

so, further discussion, thoughts, opinions, ideas, help, advice, will be appriciated.

regards,
sid512.

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-06 20:02:13

I think the app you are looking for is speaker phone ex. This app automatically turns on speaker phone when the phone is away from your face, enabling the use of the in-call screen with talkback. When the phone is near your ear, the phone will go back to normal so no one else hears the call. You should also enable power button ends call in the accessibility options.

2014-07-06 20:07:21

hello jack,
i already enabled the power button end call option and it is convinient, but will the speaker app work even if the phone is a few inches away from my face?

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-07 07:37:37

Your 5 something gb instead of 8 is probably from phone software or just the kind of rounding thing that seems to happen with any kind of memory. There never is as much as they say there is, someone told me one of the reasons behind this but I forgot it.
I have never used this speaker phone app, I did use one called "up sound down" that allows you to turn on the speaker by either moving the phone away from your face, placing it flat on a table or shaking it. Lockpick game for the blind is one game, the audio archery game also works. I did try the space traders game, and virtual knights or something like that. I forgot it's name, but the second game was almost fully accessible for single players, I don't know about when you join a guild though. All of the space traders game works except for the map, but unless you need to go in to some place in deep space, you should be good. I use to use an app called zedge for ringtones, but this was before you could just use your own music. Dropbox still has some things that are more accessible on android than ios it seems. If you haven't already, look on the eyesfree google group, or something like it, that's where most of my apps came from.

2014-07-07 17:16:24

hi,
thanks for the above suggestions. i'll try them out.

as of memory, its a bit odd since nearly 3 gb of phone software is something extraordinary, or at least i think so. the occupied space even, has risen over 1 gb, and that's when i'm having no songs, videos, pictures etc. let alone games or big sized apps.

i'll try speaker app and see if it works, plus bringing up the dialer during a call is a pain too, as it just goes quiet during a call.

regards,
sid

2014-07-11 13:20:53

hi,
i'm having problems with both chrome or mozilla firefox on my phone, even if i know a site very well it somehow misses out a few links, and using chrome seems very odd since many times links doesn't activate on chrome.
are there any other good and effective browsers out there.
regards,
sid

2014-07-19 09:25:30

Hai, could someone provide the playstore link to Camera magic? I couldn't find it. also, which is the best colour identifier out there?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-07-19 11:40:25

hi,
camera magic is easy to download, just search for the app and there should be a link itself.
i use color id, or color detector, both work fine but color id often announces too many colors at once.

taptapsee also works in a really awesome way when it comes to recognise pictures. but i hate the 20 pictures limitation, at least for android.
regards.

2014-07-19 12:00:38

has anyone try the voice for android?

2014-07-19 12:58:49

hi,
i don't think so. what does it do actually?

2014-07-19 14:00:16

It's a software that uses the phone's Kamra to identify what's around you. for more info about the program, please
Listen here
or Go to the developer site of this software.

2014-07-19 14:16:03

Hello!
vOICe is the great android apps. you must train yourself to use it effectively. Talking about game did you try diceworld? Before it is for IOS, now it has for android too. It's great you can use your old account which you use on IOS with android too.

2014-07-19 16:26:41

hi,
i didn't play diceworld so far, but i was having problems playing stem stumper and a game called racing live 12 points, (as it was mentioned there on the androidaccess.net site).

i'm loving the phone so far, specially because of gps, email(how convinient it is to get a notification on the phone if there is a reply to this topic),  and a few other good apps, including taptapsee, whatsapp, among others.

however, the difficult part is browsing the internet even using firefox, there are a lot of portions that are missed after exploring the screen, and on some sites the username and password fields are located in a tiny area, making it hard to work out.
another problem i'm facing is that i've no idea how do i get books, and read them on phone afterwards.
google play books was not easy to try as it sounds, quite a few times it wasn't reading the contents even when viewing a book as a sample from play store

any help, or recommendations for apps would be highly appriciated.
regards,
sid.

2014-07-19 18:20:15

yeah, I was wondering the same. how does one use talkback to read books? any ideas? also, anyone know how to shaire the PCs internet with the android?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-07-19 18:37:41

hi,
i tried the voice for android. it sounds quite easier in that particular podcast, but it is really complicated when actually trying it.
i even tried placing a cane on the floor as done in podcast, but no apparant difference and it kept playing the same continous sound.

2014-07-19 22:16:37

Hi Hunter,

Let me know if I can help. There has to be sufficient light and a dark background, but then your white cane will stand out against the background as a rising or falling tone depending on its orientation with respect to the camera.

Regards,

Peter Meijer

The vOICe for Android
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/android.htm
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … OICe.vOICe

sid512 wrote:

hi,
i tried the voice for android. it sounds quite easier in that particular podcast, but it is really complicated when actually trying it.
i even tried placing a cane on the floor as done in podcast, but no apparant difference and it kept playing the same continous sound.

2014-07-20 06:01:38

at seeingwithsound:
why does the voice for android colour recognition say multiple colour names when pointed at the same object?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-07-20 07:49:07

Hi Chandu,

Chandu wrote:

at seeingwithsound:
why does the voice for android colour recognition say multiple colour names when pointed at the same object?

You did not say what object you were pointing at, so I need to guess. First of all, the object may have a color in between basic colors, and The vOICe will say red-orange when the color is in between red and orange. Secondly, one object may have more than one color, and The vOICe speaks the color at the center of the camera view, so generally of a small part of the object. If the object is a shirt it may have a print in different colors and textures. Or suppose the shirt is striped in red and orange, then you will hear either red or orange depending on where exactly the camera is pointing. You can tell a striping pattern from the soundscapes if you turn on the color filter for one of the recognized colors, such as orange in the above examples. Then when the stripes are vertical you will hear a rhythm corresponding to the density of stripes. Finally, folds in clothing and shadows cast on clothing can affect color appearance in subtle ways, and reflections from other objects in the environment can also play a role in visual appearance. Color is a continuous scale but color names are not, so variations from folds or shadows can cause the color names to vary.

Regards,

Peter Meijer

The vOICe for Android

2014-07-20 09:48:40

@Peter,
Does this program develop anymore?

2014-07-20 13:07:59

Hi Socheat,

Socheat wrote:

@Peter,
Does this program develop anymore?

What do you mean? The last release of The vOICe for Android, version 1.74, is of this month.

Regards,

Peter Meijer

The vOICe for Android

2014-07-20 13:31:47

hi,
thanks for the replies.

as far as placing cane is concerned, i placed it horizontally and then moved the phone camera back then forward, but it kept playing a tone in the middle and its pitch was not changing.

i'm trying to become familiar with the vOICe, but so far itsa bit  confusing, mainly because even if i'm pointing the phone's camera to the front where there is no object, it still keeps playing a distinct tone, and many times it plays irregular tones when pointing the camera at a plane surface like a glass table.

it also keeps announcing compass directions, even after closing the app, is there any solution for this?

regards,
sid.

2014-07-20 14:21:57

thanks for your reply peter.

2014-07-21 23:42:54

Hi Sid,

> as far as placing cane is concerned, i placed it horizontally and then moved the phone camera
> back then forward, but it kept playing a tone in the middle and its pitch was not changing.

Pitch does not indicate distance but elevation in the camera view. If you move the cane up and down, or tilt the phone up and down, you should hear the pitch change correspondingly. The vOICe is very different from a sonar device by not encoding distance but brightness as a function of direction, like a camera or the eye does.

> if i'm pointing the phone's camera to the front where there is no object, it still keeps playing a distinct tone

The object can be well beyond your reach, so how can you know that there is no object or visual pattern?

> many times it plays irregular tones when pointing the camera at a plane surface like a glass table.

A glass table is not visually smooth: the camera may look right through the glass and "see" objects underneath it, or it may register objects in your environment reflected in the glass. Glass can be a quite confusing material, visually. Maybe try a book shelf, and notice how its rhythm of books slows down as you move closer.

> it also keeps announcing compass directions, even after closing the app, is there any solution for this?

Compass directions continue if you switch off the phone with the power button, but they stop if you first close the app with the Back button. If you want to completely disable the compass directions, you can do so via the menu Options, Talking compass.

Best regards,

Peter

The vOICe for Android

sid512 wrote:

hi,
thanks for the replies.

as far as placing cane is concerned, i placed it horizontally and then moved the phone camera back then forward, but it kept playing a tone in the middle and its pitch was not changing.

i'm trying to become familiar with the vOICe, but so far itsa bit  confusing, mainly because even if i'm pointing the phone's camera to the front where there is no object, it still keeps playing a distinct tone, and many times it plays irregular tones when pointing the camera at a plane surface like a glass table.

it also keeps announcing compass directions, even after closing the app, is there any solution for this?

regards,
sid.

2014-07-22 16:02:32

FYI you won't lose 2.5GB from 8GB due to rounding, that will indeed be due to preinstalled software including the operating system. I'm using an iPhone and I can tell you it has at least that much space, probably more, used for the OS. These things are essentially a full fledged computer in the shape of a phone so it shouldn't really be that surprising that the OS takes up a fair amount of space, and it's possible some of the space is sectioned off with a backup copy of the OS for running a reset to factory conditions. That last part is maybe unlikely but it's possible.

Note also that apps use the storage space for cache and so on, when I was playing with a dice roller app once it filled the last gig or two of space up generating a source of random data for it to take the rolls from. It could equally be game saves, settings files, browser cache and the like.

If your phone has an SD card slot I highly recommend you use the highest capacity SD card it can handle, that's something I'm really jealous of as an iPhone user. If you need to specify where things are installed try to install as much to the card as possible, something I used to do back in the days of Symbion, to keep as much of your phone memory free as possible.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2014-07-25 15:56:02

hi,
i'll keep the above suggestions in consideration, but i was wondering if this app could help in moving around, for example if i'm pointing my phones camera straight in front where there is a empty corridor or a hall, will it help to indicate any hurdles, walls or doors beforehand.
and also, is it possible to know where people are relative to the phone's camera in a crowded place so that one can avoid bumping into them
i was also wondering what does positive video and negative video mean, or do they affect the working of the app in any way.

@cx2, indeed that might be the reason, but unfortunately my phone doesn't have a sd card, so there is not much one can do other than using the phone memory. but again, as i mentioned there is around 1 gb of app data and that is without heavy games and other stuff.
when i checked app data, it showed google play services, firefox etc. but they were occupying 50, 60 mb each.

regards,
sid.