2014-07-10 03:21:30

tward wrote:

Kamochek, well, I suppose you could throw the dog across the pit and see if it safely lands on the other side. If you hear a large howl as the dog falls down the pit then you know you misjudged the distance or that it is too far to cross. big_smile

How pitty of that dog. big_smile

2014-07-10 08:54:31

Lol, loooool Tom. hahaha! smile big_smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-10 21:05:28

LOL. Anyway, I remember that the loard of the rings books had some pits that some of the main chars had to cross. LOL. I forgot how to spell the place where these pits are found, but trust me, they are there. Yes one of them was a river of fire. LOL. I wonder what other books have such pits and how people got across them. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-11 13:15:37

hi,
the above post reminded me of first book of wizard of oz, the way the travellers crossed the pit, laying a wooden plank and having the lion transport each of them across the pit.
lol

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-20 21:56:53

Well, I used to have dreams about myself being in audio games, except they were taking place in real life and I would be in the temple, or be in the jungle, where the audio game was set. I remember before i bought Monkey Business, I had a very vivid dream that i was in the jungle level, then in the temple level. I'd heard teasers of the jungle level, and had played a little bit of the temple level. So I knew what they sounded like. What was scary was, in the dream, everything was 3d. I could touch the walls of the temple, feel the gravel and mud underfoot, even hear reflections off the walls of the hallways. It was very scary. I don't remember much about the jungle, just the beautiful river. i love water sounds, and that level has some nice ones, though the beach is nice too. Come ot think of it, the only game whose water sounds impress me more is Treasure Mania. The reaoson  stopped playing that was partially because it doesn't work on my machine, but also because I would occasionally run into the bug of the treasure being on the cliff edges, even though they said they fixed that bug. Hmm I have to fire up my XP VM and see if it'll work on there. If it does, I'll have some nostalgic moments.
I also had a dream that I was in Super Liam in the lava lake, running around. Once again, ewverything was in reality, so I could fele the rumble and the heat, and could hear my footsteps bouncing off of trees nearby, though if you're in a fiery lanscape, why would there be trees? Oh well, it had that outdoor reverberant sound. Without it, it just doesn't feel outdoors.
I may have had a dream a ways back that i was fighting in BD2 or BD3, but I can't remember. If it was, it wasn't as vivid as the others I mentioned. But in none of these dreams did I have to jump a pit. Though I do remember occasionally feeling them and sizing them up, and smelling the smell of the acid from the acid pits in the temples, yes I love ancient temple exploration, not because of the culture and mythological things, but just for the arcade style obstacles that get thrown in there in our modern imagination. Hmm, I can remember when I first heard of acid pits, I had a burst of cinesthesia (I should make a topic about that). And my cinesthesia associated acid pits with a hot pleasant bath. I knew it would never be, but one of the sounds of falling into an acid pit in MOnkey Business, I don't know why but it is relaxing in a weird way, even though the character is screaming as he is boiled alive. It doesn't have that painful element to it, at least not to my ears.
So, as for what I would do in a pit. Hmm I've given it a bit of thought, and I think I figured it out... Wait for it...
I would turn back! And if I knew I would be coming across a pit in advance, I probably wouldn't go in. Maybe if it's really small I would try to maneuver it, but if it goes from wall to wall, or there is not a decent amount of room to go around it, forget it. Cane or no cane, I don't trust my agility, which is practically 0 right now, to see me safely jumping across a pit or a chasm. I don't even trust myself to step over it safely, since although my balance is decent, I am pretty clumsy when I get thrown off track, and my nerves would throw me off track in that situation.
I remember one time my dad and I climbed on top of a waterfall. I forget where it was, but it was a relatively safe climb, with only a few spots that my dad said were dangerous, though he is more gutsy than I. I was so nervous climbing up there, stepping over openings in the ground, or scared that the rock would collapse underneath me even though hundreds of people were there enjoying the view, as we were. The adrenaline and anxiety I got from doing that was so intense that it made me nauseous for about 15 minutes. I'm not doing that again.
And don't ask me to fight off adversaries either. I can do it in games but there are a lot of play fights I simply cannot win, partially because I am not an aggressive physical fighter, but also because I am not physically made for fighting and have 0 experience with techniques and so forth, and don't have the desire to improve either of those things right now. If I were actually in a situation where I'd actually need self defense... well we'll see what happens when I do. Until then I am just as unsure as you guys are about what would happen.
So lets' take this all the way out simply because I am bored.
If you had a virtual reality game and put me in there, I wouldn't be a very good beta tester. Just to prove I had been there, I would bring a camcorder which would record audio and video with decent quality and resolution. I would record as much as I could, and to enhance the virtual reality effect, I would not say this is in a virtual reality, I would say that it's happening, and it's as real as the world that those fortunates who haven't touched a virtual reality game yet are still living in. Let's assume that when I had had enough of virtual reality, I somehow transported to the real world. I'd think the recorder and camera would have the recordings still. But I would look normal again, without all my battle scars and without the death count. Imagine that I would know what it's like to die! Well I'd know more than I know now. I'd come back to the real reality a very different person. What would it be like when people ask me how my day was. "Oh, I fell into 20 lava pits today and got fried twice as many times by X1's laser. I gotten bitten by 10 rattlesnakes and blown up by 5 search and destruction bots." And then I would show them the recording, or at least, what I could get before me along with the camcorder became pulverized, vaporized, and, well, killed. I think nobody would know what to say unless they had played virtual reality as well.
And one last thing... I wouldn't do that virtual reality either, unless there were strong painkillers in that world. Or let's just be nice and say that you don't feel pain, just a weakening sensation or a sort of fading into unconciousness once you're dead. If that were the case, I actually think it would be fun. It would be a test of nerves, which I would actually be somewhat interested in. Though some games do scared me sometimes, like BD2 and the search and destruction bot. There's another one but I can't remember it right now.
Okay now I'll stop before someone asks me what's wrong with me. If you haven't asked that by now, then you've either stopped reading by this point, or you are just as crazy as I am! Lol
I hope it was an entertaining read, at least.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2014-07-21 15:41:31

Hi,
hmmm. For pits I actually don't know what I'd do. But for fighting enemies I'd just use some self defense techniques like wristlocks and such.

2014-07-25 00:17:52

Hi

Me personally?

I'd probably just take a deep breath, size up said pit with my cane, ears, the feeling of air if any on my skin etc, and then back way up, start running at it as fast as I can, and just frantically think, "hitchin' a ride" "hitchin' a ride" I'm just "hitchin' a ride" I'm gonna be fine because I'm "hitchin' a" rah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ah'ahide!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

2014-07-25 04:55:32

mewahahahahahahaha

2014-07-25 15:18:33

hi,
i like the way of handling ptis in tarzan junior, either they are small enough to an easy jump, or big enough to catch a swinging wine and then get to the other side.
it sounds both realistic and full of effort, not like a superhero who can jump great distance by remaining airborn.
the second level of tarzan junior is quite enjoyable, too.
regards

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2014-07-26 05:02:04

Sid512, not sure about you but I don't think a swinging wine would do you much good since wine is an alcoholic beverage. What you want is a swinging vine not a swinging wine. big_smile

Not picking on you, but I just thought what you said was sort of funny. I can see some hero jumping out, grabbing a bottle of wine, and falling to his doom because he grabbed wine not a vine. Reminds me a bit of the deaf genie jokes where the genie keeps giving people the wrong thing because he misunderstands what they asked for.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-07-26 07:45:31

hi,
however funny it may sound, but i meant vines, not wine. that was a little spelling mistake either in a hurry or confusion.
the spelling of wine confused me many times, sometimes i asumed it to be whine with a wh, or sometimes vine.

anyways, as far as grabbing a bottle  before jump is concerned, i'd better prefer grabbing pepsy (appologies if spelling is incorrect), over wine or anything else. big_smile

regards

2014-08-13 04:13:35

Hi,
A good suggestion, if you have to jump in the pit, is to find something that you don't ever need and drop it in the pit. If it hits the bottom and you can hear it, and it doesn't echo off the pits walls, you are probably able to jump in, walk across it, and jump out (if you can). However, if it echos, or you hear the sound of something getting destroyed, ripped, etc. do not attempt even jumping over it; most humans misjudge the pits lengths, dimentions, and dyamitor, and that's usually how most people die. They fall in, and its either endless or filled with some form of a weapon that is lethal is some way or form.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2014-08-13 09:16:48

Good Idea. smile

2014-08-13 14:16:49

Ethin, a bit of advice speaking from personal experience. While your idea of dropping something in the pit or chasm sounds logical a lot of naturally occurring pits or chasms are pretty deep. While they are not endless they can go down 10, 20, or more feet into the ground. Some probably go down for hundreds of feet. So jumping in one and walking across isn't very likely given the fact that the natural ones in caves and such are far too deep to get in and out of without special equipment.

As for special traps such as spikes, blades, and other deadly devices they are all too real in ancient temples and fortresses. They use to dig holes in the ground, place spikes etc in the pit, and then cover it over. When an enemy soldier or intruder stepped on it they'd fall to their doom into the pit. Quite nasty demise to be sure. In any case jumping in and walking across definitely would not be a great idea.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-08-14 01:29:00

@tward, Sorry about that, I kinda got carried away.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github