2014-07-17 00:27:23

Cyber elves are bad,
they slack off for a long time,
They're fed to the grue!

Updates by dark:
Core exiles: changed developer to dream games as it should be, slightly expanded description.
Choiceofgames: added information that the games are now available to buy online and play in a browser.
King of dragon pass: miner cleanup, added link to podcast by someone called dark.
cleaned up entries for Smugglers 3 and Smugglers 4, changed information on perchice to mention the "We love smugglers" bundle, also added some info to Nvda and link to the Nvda guide on the smugglers 4 entry.
BG Word jumble: page and description.
A dark room: page, description and links.
LookTell voiceover tutorial: page, description and links.

Smugglers 5 Secession: changed name to the correct title, Cleaned up and expanded description, added link to podcast by this dark fellow.

BG Word Builder: page and description.
The Inquisitor: Page, description and links.
Added links to audio walkthrus by Brendan and lauren to pages of Tactical Battle, Sound rts, Swamp, Time adventures, Perilous hearts, Battlezone and awsome homer.

Fixed homepage and download links for all the games hosted by Damien Pendleton, namely Danger city, Acefire, Giftanum, Self destruct, The savage Gambet, River raders and X wheel.

X wheel: changed status to  abandonware.
Added correct homepage and download links for adventure at C: thanks to Kenzon.
BG Word Solitare: page and description.
BG Tri-peaks Solitare: Page and description.
Gma cards: Updated download link, added details of Jin Rummy and Cribbage to the description plus miner cleanup.
Updated genre of Papasangre, The night jar, and Sixth sense to Ios rather than Iphone.
Pappasangre 2 the museum of memories: page, description and links.

Removed homepage and download links for all titles from Code factory, Bsc and bavisoft, plus Pirate memory game and haunted factory sinse their status is currently not known.
Added notes on ambiguous status of some of these.

Choiceofgames: added info about arranging paypal payments and website saving.

Added genre category for Japanese games and explanation on the Game genres page here

The Blind Swordsman: page and description.
Audio Reverci: Page and description.
Shadow line: page and description.
Shadow line Full voice: page and description.
Smugglers 5 Invasion: page, description and links.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-17 02:39:34

Wow, that's allot of updates!

Thanks to Dark and all the other moderators from me and, I'm sure, the rest of the community! the work is very much appreciated and will help newcomers to the site as well.

2014-07-17 05:04:05

wow, that's a great update! Thanks Dark and all the moderators. Keep up the good work!

2014-07-17 10:26:40

Your welcome. I will admit fixing some of those links and making miner changes was a bit of a pest, though I'm pleased I've been able to add some of the more important recent games like Papasangre 2 and A Dark room.

There of course is a lot more still to do, but that's usually the case with the db.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-07-17 14:07:38

Hi,
Nice updates Dark! I've just added a bunch of games to my favorites list too, interestingly I'm now at 20 or so, so it's a collection that is adding up. It's also nice to see who else adds what game to favorites as it sort of shows oh hay, I have either played, or really like the concept of, this or that game.

2014-07-17 14:41:59 (edited by Kenzon Yeoh 2014-07-17 14:47:42)

Hello Dark,
I don't know whether you know this or not, but the sight for adventure at C: has been changed yet again. The developer says that this will be final though. The new website is: http://www.vgstorm.com/aac and the download link is http://www.vgstorm.com/aac/aac.zip
The company name has also been changed, it is now developed by VGStorm.com (same as the website address).
If you had updated, then sorry for posting, cause i just wanna drop off and tell you in case you havn't updated the DB for AAC. Thanks.
EDIT: for some wierd reason i can't access the sight for AAC. Just in case if i typed something wrong, you can actually find this in the Adventure at C: topic it self, in post 1080 i think.

Team rocket's blasting off again!

2014-07-17 15:06:55

Thanks for keep the site updated. This news update reminded me to go update my favorites list. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2014-07-17 18:00:20

Excellent Dark. Exciting updates.

2014-07-17 21:49:34

Glad people like.

There is of course more to add, and several more important games like  braillemon and inquisitor's heartbeat, plus updates to several entries like Bgt and time of conflict, but I am happier now the db is editable again and I can carry on adding some of these developments.

Regarding favourites, well it's up to people how they use it but generally what I tend to do myself is add games to my favourites that I personally think are exceptional or that I like. If I added all the games I've played my favourites would probably be most of the Db! big_smile.

This is why for example  of the Spoonbill games I have only Cribbage, hearts and  nomination whist on my favourites, and why I have the titles but not dynaman. Dynaman is a good game, but not imho one of my personal favourites.

I actually had to add a couple of games to my own  favourites list after these updates  too, which was nice.

@kenzon, you actually E-mailed me the new links  for adventure at C: last week, and they're still working, though I will change the developer.

2014-07-17 23:25:39 (edited by aaron 2014-07-17 23:26:26)

Hi,
@dark: I sort of agree. I've added games that have influenced me overtime and interestingly, the list shows some interesting trends. I remember the days of top speed 3, and even top speed 2 before it, for instance.
Nowadays, I ad stuff like papa sangre, dark room will also have to be added to mine soon. It shows the complex nature that games are headed. I don't really know if that's the word.
I think the term I might be looking for is uniqueness/immersion. Shadow Line full voice has a world you have to travel, while the choice of games are just fun to play, as you can almost be sure that you'll get a good couple hours at least out of a new release, even the short ones, while the longer ones are well, longer, and are as close to a point and click adventure mainstream game I think we'll get, or at least a story driven adventure. Even the newly released Herofall takes a good four/five hours for a first playthrough. I might actually have to go back and play the hole series now, which will probably take another fifteen hours at least.
Now, imagine if someone tried to do a choice of games marathon. I don't know if I'd count zombie exodus amongst this though, not because it's a bad game, in fact, far from that. But because that one is mammoth, and I do mean mammoth. That one I think is the closest to something that telltale games might release, an episodic series that takes hours at a time, and wow, how awesome it is.
I don't know if I'll ever get the luxury of doing a choice of games marathon though, but I'd love to, somehow, Lol.

2014-07-18 01:13:15

I think a choiceofgames marathon would be crazy!  not to  mention take  far too long.

An interesting thing I have noticed about games over time is that things have improved in quality and immersion as you've said, but not just on Ios, also on pc. look at something like inquisitor as compared to  chillingham.  Indeed this was why I had to introduce guidelines to the site about what was or was not worthy of a db entry, sinse it was no longer reasonable to justtake any random sterrio  target fest with a  couple of sounds. It's good though, I do  approve of the bar getting higher, and given the quality of games we've seen, from major efforts like Swamp and Time of conflict to more miner but still very well put together games like blind swordsman or revelation,  it  do think things are far better than when i started here.

I actually laughed a little the other day when I read a post by one member on "no more simple games", (I think it is in the blindfold racing topic), sinse compared to how things used to be things are a model of complexity these days.

I will admit I've not done the hole business with the  Japanese games yet, having to muck about with my  computer's language and keyboard settings and then install 5 different bits of software just for a google translate type translation  is something of a turn off I must admit. I wish some of these could recieve propper    translations within the game, particularly sinse then people could play with the tanslated text and have it make sense, the way freeware graphical japanese games such as cave story have, or that there was a single peace of software to run to have the games translated without all that mucking about and setting changes.

2014-07-18 09:52:48

@Dark,
The link i emailed was aac.caturria.ca, which is still working - the developer probably didn't take it down but he announced about the new site about a few days after i emailed you. You probably want to contact him about this though. You can send a forum email to TheOnlyPKMNMaster (I don't know how to spell his name, but if you checked the forum topic, his profile is at the first post, so just click into it and send him an email/PM/whatever you can do to contact him)

2014-07-18 09:58:54

And Dark, River Raiders is abandonware too.

2014-07-18 12:46:43

@Roro, that is easily fixed.

@Kenzon, well if you've provided the correct links in post 6 I don't mind updating the db,  though I do hope the developer isn't going to spend his time constantly changing hosts as that would be a pest, after all there are lots of other important updates to the db that need doing, and as I've said  before there is only one of me.

2014-07-18 15:37:51

Hmm, i believe he won't anymore because he said that it will be final. But as i said before, you probably wanna contact the developer if you want to confirm the links and such.

2014-07-18 17:58:26

Hey Dark. Can you add an entry to 2d platformer? The problem is that it's still in developpment.

2014-07-18 19:45:29

Well the principle reason I haven't tried the game or putup an entry is indeed that one.

How complete is it?  I could ut something  up with the "demo" license type, but it'll depend upon how much there is there to play.

2014-07-18 20:04:51

It's now complete, not demo. Mason won't put many effort in it anymore, because that's the final product, with everytime some small bug fixes and some very small things. I'm in his beta team, and he said that on the 2dp's page on the forum.

2014-07-19 11:02:58

Well, currently, that was good news Dark. hope to see the next update of the DB...
smile
Socheat.

2014-07-22 08:53:24

Hi.
Awesome update! That also reminds me that I should add games to my favorit list sometimes. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-07-22 11:36:57

Yep Slj, it's worth doing sinse it shows visitors nd developers that people are liking certain games.

i could imagine the favourites sytem being expanded in the future to cover ratings and maybe user reviews too but of course this waits on richard and sander, either way it's there so you might as well use it.

I actually went through a change myself, sinse originally I kept my favourites very small, then realized I might as well include any game I liked more than the average so added quite a few more things to it.