2014-06-27 07:07:58 (edited by Chandu 2014-06-27 07:09:10)

Hae all ( especially android users)!
Have you ever (after droid 4.0 ICS) used samsung phones?
what do you think of their accessibility, especially when you compare it to the original(stock) android devices?
does samsung's touchwiz interface compliment the (stock) accessibility or does it break it?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-06-27 08:46:27

Hi.
I have a device running Android 4.3.1 I think, and the touchwiz interface works great with Talkback.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-06-27 11:08:42

atSLJ, could you specify your device? because, some like the playstore edition of Samsung Galaxy S5 is really stock android.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-06-27 12:00:37

Touchwhiz definitely complements stock android accessibility especially for the passed year. All of the devices Samsung is updating to Kitkat now feature additional accessibility features like tripple-click home that you won't find on a nexus device. The samsung keyboard is also the only one that lets you enter scented characters accessibly. I couldn't be any happier with the S4 I have.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-06-27 12:16:22

Hi,
I switched to Nova Launcher instead of Touchwis, and even though you sort of start with a clean slate on your home screen, you can configure it just the way you want. The only trouble with Nova is there's no feedback when you drag items around, so you have to sort of stop, check, drag, stop, check, drag, etc, to get items to where you want them to be on the home screen.

2014-06-27 13:43:02

Would something like a galaxy note be accessible or customizeable?

2014-06-27 17:14:32

The galaxy note is customizable/accessible, but actually, the samsung keyboard is a bit of an annoyance. Sure, it allows you to rapid delete by holding down the delete key, but still, if you hold the keyboard for too long, it will display a popup that messes up your typing. At least on my galaxy tab it is. Btw, the galaxy tab3 with android 4.1.2 is the worst device you could get. It's very slow, and to make things clear the system specs of the tablet are a duel core running at 1.1 ghz of ram from what I remember. Sure, it's lower end, but it's supposed to run a lot faster than it is now, and that's because a ll the touchwhiz crap it installs. Touchwhiz is not good on android 4.1.2. And get this. The galaxy tab 3 was released in 2013 I believe, with 4.1.2 as it's initial release, and it's never gonna update to kitkat! That, is, horrible that is exactly why I got a nexus 5 running cyanogen mod 11 for android 4.4.2. They are waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow on the updates for those devices. But actually, it's a good idea to have multiple devices to experiment with. I used the cm installer on my nexus 5 because it was my only phone and I didn't want to brick it. However, I'm willing to go all out with development on my galaxy tab 3. So, does anyone know of any stock roms for galaxy tab 3 7.0, there is no cyanogen mod for it, or no android open kang project for it. Or if not, can anyone with the know-how build cyanogen mod for the galaxy tab 3? I will also add that the samsung text to speech is the worst! ever! even worse than Microsoft Anna! IT sounds so robotic on the g tab. It sounds like a more robotic version of svox pico, which I have on that device.

2014-06-28 05:28:48

at jack, I thought samsung devices came with google TTS preinstalled?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-06-28 09:16:50

hi, I use samsung galaxy s4, and now it is upgraded to kitkat.
you said in kitkat there was a triple click the home button shortcut. how is it work?

going in to the wilds, collecting pokedex, and capturing them are my kind of thing,
training them, making them evolve, and generally making them stronger is my ultimate goal,
fighting other manamon tamers, winning the tournament, and fighting octoros are what these manamons like to do,
and ultimately, I become the master of mana!

2014-06-28 22:25:04

Nope, not all of them. Some of them are just the samsung tts. I found this out on my friend's galaxy note 3 phone running android 4.3.1. And it was so robotic!

2014-06-29 07:41:38

and while we're at it, do any of you use an LG phone? how accessible is it?

come to think of it, I'm considering changing the topic title and making this a listing of all the accessible droids out there. it might help reduce the confution of the blind buyer smile what do you think?

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-06-29 22:01:55

I use a nexus 5. IT's not an lg phone, but it is made by lg. It is stock android. Typically, except for the moto g/moto e, any phone made by anything other than a company being backed by google for example lg with their nexus 5, is not the most accessible. The phones made by samsung and such are good as long as there is a build of cyanogen mod for them. If you get a phone that is from samsung, htc, or any other comapny, flash cyanogen mod.

2014-06-30 00:47:16

Folks keep forgetting that the LG also has the triple click home feature.

As for how to get it working on samsung devices, you go to Settings>accessibility>Direct Access, and turn on off interactive mode.
For better info on that, please see latest That Android Show:
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3 … /tas29.mp3