2007-12-09 10:20:37

hi,
I thought this would be a nice topic. does anybody actually play real showdown? not the game by pb games, but actual showown. I'm at a showdown club in the city of Heerhugowaard (wonder how that would sound on some of your english screen readers), and am fairly new to it, have only been playing it for about half a year but i love it very much and hope to keep playing. any other showdown players out there?
regards,
Arjan.
ps: and it's a shame i don't have a table at home.

2007-12-09 23:35:54

i play showdown. i'm in a showdown club, and i use to play tournaments.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2007-12-10 10:44:35

Although not in a club I've played showdown quite a few times. It's a neat game! I also think PbGames's version is very realistic, compared to what one would hear in a real game of showdown.

Oh, you mentioned Heerhugowaard? Cute, I was born there... Lovely, ain't it? tongue

2007-12-10 20:23:45

heh cool! the sounds are top notch in pb games's version but the gameplay itself is not good. the basic rules of showdown still apply but there should be techniques, like blocking the ball so it stops rolling, determining the effectifeness of your swing, multiplayer, ball  hitting the plank in the middle of the table, and a referee and lots more. it's a pitty the guy doesn't work on it anymore. oh well... hey, maybe i get to learn programming some day, or some other company will make a better version. not to say pb games's version is bad though, however it's not as realistic as it could be.

2007-12-10 21:16:51

Well, I've had thoughts about a Showdown-remake, but I think Philip would sue me for stealing his idea (although showdown is really not his idea anyways). And getting high quality sounds is another problem here.

2007-12-11 17:05:35

I'm soon taking my olympus ds50 with me to record me playing showdown, so i might have some sounds. Well, Just ask him, the guy isn't supporting the game  any more so i don't think there would be a problem, i could be wrong though.

2007-12-11 17:47:06

Yeah, I've heard he wanted to do a multiplayer version in C++ (which he was/is learning), but that's already some months back and I haven't seen any news since that day.

I still think that the showdown-concept is free to use though. I mean, nobody asks if it's allowed to write a football game either... However, I don't have too much time, so if anybody else wants to do this job, great!

2007-12-15 05:35:54

Well, Arjan, myself am happy wih the showdown. Sure it could be more realistic, sure it's fantastic, sure you can stop complaining considering it was free...

wink