2007-12-05 02:53:37

The only thing I heard of using Director was Terraformers, and the code won't be available since it's commercial. Sorry.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-12-06 08:31:13

You might try asking on the Gameaccessibility.com forums, or on the Audeasy mailing list at http://audyssey.org/ as both are places where a lot of devs tend to hang out.

I'll check out your game when I have some time Nio0. Sryth is indeed great, and does have a very nice community, ----- though like quite a few things, it's had to take a miner back seat for me recently, owing to lots of other business going on at the moment, not to mention recent unwellness.

At least I'm able to get the news posts out and chat to people here now.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-12-06 15:31:07

I looked at Syrth lightly. Fastasy I think. I never understood RPGs. Sort of an A I mud I guess. I'll look at it some more to see what it is about.

Yo

2007-12-07 11:07:00

Hope you enjoy Sryth, feel free to ask any questions nio0. Though it's officially an Rpg, it actually functions more like a gamebook, or one of the link based interactive fiction type things you've programmed yourself, accept that certain random events in the game are controled by character statistics, and there are occasionally rounds of combat, but I'm guessing things are fairly similar in muds, ---- equipping items, attacking etc.

there's a pretty good explanation of the game system on Sryth's own wiki (bits of it even written by yours truly). You can find it at http://sryth.pbwiki.com/

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-12-07 16:17:04

Well the creator being interviewed in Audyssey described it as being like interactive fiction.

Admittedly Sryth has more flexibility in terms of events than muds, but muds have more flexibility in terms of combat and other systems as well as socially.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-12-08 00:58:24

Agreed, the combat in Sryth is actually imho something that needs a litle work. About the social side of things though, I'm much more in favor of Sryth's single player game approach, sinse all my experiences of multiplayer text rpgs have basically been very dull stat grinding, no exploration and litle plot in return for not being eaten up by higher level players, ---- but I know i've said this before, so I won't go into it again.

2007-12-08 19:30:18

Well muds have a little more flexibility in that side, especially if you find people who roleplay. The use of commands called "socials" such as smile, laugh, etc can reallyy help as can the ability to wander around meeting people. You just can't do that in a html game.

cx2
-----

2007-12-10 20:19:33

I have tried posting it in the game accessibility website, but i think  no one gave a positive respond.

2007-12-10 23:02:31

Well like I said Terraformers used it, and noone really complained about that. So long as it is self voicing (or in other words you don't need external programs to make the speech) it doesn't really matter what you write it in.

cx2
-----

2007-12-12 06:47:51

Hi Cx2, if i wanted to create an audio game, which application would you suggest? I heard that the audio game maker is not a bad application? Especially i don't know alot about developing an audio game with Macromedia Director, but i heard it's not too bad creating an audio game with Macromedia Director.

Any suggestion? Thanks alot.

2007-12-12 16:01:41

Audio game maker seems fairly limited, it isn't a programming environment. It very much depends what you are used to and what you want to achieve. I know a lot of developers use Visual Basic, which also has the advantage of being able to tap into speech through SAPI which is built into windows itself.

So the short answer is use whatever you are most comfortable with and accustomed to really.

cx2
-----

2007-12-13 22:39:34

Do any of you guys know whats the name of the first ever auditory games (only sound based) develop and in which year? (can you also influde the reference of the website/book name etc).

Thanks again.

2007-12-14 02:32:54

Hmmm, that's a rather difficult question, sinse various assistive tech devices have been doing things similar to audio games for quite a long wile. i also remember using educational audio game type programs such as word, language or direction games involving speech synthesizors as far back as my early years of primary school on a Bbc micro, though the speech was pretty dire, and there was litle or no use of sound, much less sterrio.

In an interview on the internet radio program main menue, audio games developer Jim kitchen sites the aliens game on the Ureaka braille device as the first true audio game, sinse it apparently used pitch to indicate the position of objects, but as I've never used a ureeka myself, I'm not sure. You can find the interview on the main menue archive at http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php? … tion=30:29

Pcs games has quite a good history artical about the games that were around for Doss, but again, I never played audio games at that point (or even knew tey existed), so I'm not sure if any of these were the first. You can find the artical on te Pcs games site at http://www.pcsgames.net/

It's also worth remembering though that the answer to this depends upon ow you define an audio game. My parents bought me a simon back in the late 80's, and there were text adventure games being written for doss or other machines like the Bbc micro that I think would've been playable with screen readers at the time. Heck, even the 2Xl toy robot, which asked you quiz questions on specially constructed tapes, and switched betwene the tracks in order to provide the appropriate response to your answer could count as an audio game (I know a lot of Vi kids at the time had them).

sinse at that point though, I found a hole lot more main stream games visually accessible, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question anyway.