2007-11-27 00:27:42

Hi! New to the group. We have an 8 year old son that we are doing some Christmas shopping for and looking for some help! This is the first time we have been on this site. It looks great! It looks like we can download some games onto our computer for him to play. Anyone have recommendations of which ones to try for an 8 year old boy? He loves sports, and also action of any kind. Also into Star Wars and Pokemon. I should add he is not low vision, he is totally blind. Also, the question of the day, does anyone have any recommendations for purchase of games for GameBoys, PSP's, GameCubes or XBox's that he might find success with? The only game we have found that he can play on GameBoy is King of Fighters. He brailled a note to Santa, asking please if he can make any games that he can play, that would be great but if not then don't worry about it Santa, and thanks anyway. He tries games that don't work out by hearing alone and gets disappointed. King of Fighters he beats the game all the way to level 8. The Wii has also been terrific, he can play most of the sports on that.

Thanks very much for your help!
Tricia

2007-11-27 01:12:46

Perhaps there might be some good ones at www.dracoent.com, I'm thinking in particular of the pinball games they have and the ten pin bowling game but there are others too. Might also be some suitable stuff at www.l-works.net and a few other sites.

Perhaps worth looking at www.gmagames.com, though Shades of Doom might sound a little too scary for an 8 year old.

Perhaps someone else could also give a link to Sound Voyager for the game boy?

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-27 02:35:45

Hmm...the pokemon games are accessible, for the Gameboy, Gameboy colour, and Gameboy Advance (SP). I've played and beaten them all.

Red/Yellow/Blue (old-school, but the overall simplest) also poses the largest accessibility issues, because you have to know exactly where to use certain moves to navigate (Strength to push blocks, Surf to cross water, etc). This isn't such a problem...except that in later installments, you can simply bump up against said obstacle and hit A and you'll activate the ability in question if you have it. There's no blood or excessive violence (if you're all right with King of Fighters, you should be fine with pokemon, I warrant), and each creature has its own specific cry. He'll navigate by tracing walls (the wall makes a sound when you bump against it). He may need a little sighted assistance at certain points, but it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

Gold, Silver and Crystal (Crystal's my favourite of all time) are much the same, but a little bigger. Different world map, and now you can use HMs (the moves to navigate) simply by clicking on the right area (he'll find them, or ought to; I know I did). There is one area, called the Ice Cave, that's very difficult to navigage, for which he'll need sighted help, but everything else is easy enough once he gets the hang of it.

Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald (Emerald preferred, on the whole) for the Gameboy Advance is even more friendly still. Only one puzzle, period, that I needed help with. Other things took me time, but weren't generally too difficult after some exploration. Any one of these games I've thus far mentioned will keep him busy for awhile.

On the actual accessible games list I'd recommend: Ten-Pin Alley is pretty easy, pretty basic. Super Liam is a side-scroller with humour, he is apt to find it funny and challenging as he goes on (there are cheat codes once you beat the game for the first time, though). There are also a  plethora of online games which are screen-reader friendly, but I'm not quite so sure on those. I myself am 24, and while I'm definitely a gamer at heart, it's been a long time since I was 8. Heh.

I wish you the very best of luck, and if you have any further questions, feel free to write 'em up and I'll try to help.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-11-27 04:42:10

Hi,
Yeah there a lot of accessible games out there. The first game I ever played was Monkey Business, from www.draconisentertainment.com, and I would highly recommend it. It's a great first game. There's also the GMA games, Shades of Doom, Tank Commander, both action packed and good games at www.gmagames.com. Also Super Liam as was mentioned above, and Judgment Day, from www.l-works.net. I would definitely recommend Monkey Business though, I'll never forgot when I got that for Christmas 4 years ago, it was great. I'm also a game developer now, and created a nice little free game called chopper Challenge, which you can find at www.x-sight-interactive.net. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-11-27 09:27:51

Hi.

I think Judgment Day and Super Liam are great to a 8 years old boy. I'm sure he also would like Topspeed, which is a great racing game. You can find it on the following site:
http://www.playinginthedark.com/

Regarding console games, you can find a lot of informations in the other topics. The most accessible games is fighting games like Mortal Kombat, Tekken etc, but I think some of them is too violent to an 8 year old boy. I'm totally blind, and I have completed a very good fighting game called Urban Reign for the ps2. You can go ahead and search for it and wach a trailer on:
www.gameexpress.com

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2007-11-27 19:00:47

Well that is just great, guys, I am so excited, you have given us lots of great ideas, and a great mix! We will start looking into these. Justin will be thrilled. We may have questions along the way as we sort things out, so we will ask you if, or more likely when, we have any. Justin will also be happy to hear about this site.

I think we are able to meet the requirements necessary for most audio games. Justin is also learning JAWS this year.

Again, thanks so much. Justin is so full of life, he has many and varied passions, one of them being gaming, which we have had limited success thus far with, so it is really nice to hear so many workable ideas. 

With much appreciation,
Tricia

2007-11-27 19:23:40 (edited by hermione 2007-11-27 19:37:35)

If your son likes sport games,
www.vipgameszone.com is a good site. especially the beach volleyball and super bowling.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

2007-11-28 00:17:55 (edited by cx2 2007-11-28 00:20:50)

Well there will definitely be other games to try as your son grows. Shades of Doom might be one of those to leave longer, though tank commander from GMA on easy with the option to automatically set elevation shouldn't be too bad. Lone Wolf from GMA is fun, but perhaps a little slower and might be something he will enjoy in the future.

Ten Pin Alley is particularly good because you can play it in multiplayer mode, there are no graphics but you hear one sound moving sideways to aim and another rising in pitch to choose the strength of the shot.

Another excellent game for the future may be Rail Racer at www.blindadrenaline.com. Also your son should feel free to join the forum here, or at least keep one eye on the front page with the news announcements.

I'll also note that often headphones are as good as good speakers, and can often help to muffle out distracting background sound.

Edit:
The mentioned topic on console games is http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=1752

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-28 01:01:43 (edited by Ryan Smith 2007-11-28 01:10:01)

Yes, Jim Kitchen has some games that might be good for him, but be careful, one of his games called WinSpank, is a game not "appropriate" for 8 year olds, and not really for me (I'm 12) either. Theres some sports games, and my favorite monopoly. I have not tried Rail Racer, although I will or Andy, will be purchasing it. There are some educational games from a guy named Liam at L-Works.net as well as BSC Games at bscgames.com I beileve. We would be happy to have Justin join here. This may be a little off-topic, but what RS Games will possibly doing is, making games for the sighted, with accessibility. This way, you, and any sighted friend can play the games. I do know alot about graphics in VB, so it won't be much harder then making an audiogame. I am also very happy that you meet the requirements for most audiogames, and think Justin will be very happy with what we have chosen.
Thank You
-Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
www.rsgames.co.nr

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2007-11-28 01:13:52

Good point Ryan. Also be aware Jim Kitchen's Hangman game also comes with an "adult" word list, though the readme included has instructions for deleting it. He seems to have... a quirky sense of humour.

cx2
-----

2007-11-28 01:15:38

Tricia,

Check out our Top 25 Web Sites for Gamers who are Blind.
It's a fast way to get to many of the games that these folks have listed, plus some more.
Its' at www.7128.com.

We, ourselves, offer word games, memory games, and Clue-like mystery games that are fully blind-accessible.
All of them self-voice; all of them have free demos; all of them are downloadable and affordable.
But we leave the action type games to the other folks, who do a fine job.

Good luck with your search,

John Bannick
Chief Technology Officer
7-128 Software

2007-11-28 02:36:34 (edited by dark empathy 2007-11-28 02:48:23)

Hmmm, All the things I would've recommended seem to have been said already, ---- lol! If your son is interested in sports, Vip gameszone might be good, as they have some relatively easy to play sports titles, ---- which can also be played online against another person. wellif your son isn't familiar with audio games, depending upon his general auditory coordination, you might think about starting with some of the more 2D games, such as Superliam, judgement day, Alien outback and the games from www.bscgames.com, rather than leaping streight into somethin like Monkey business, tank commander or Sarah from http://www.pcsgames.net/
Sinse being 3D, they require more memory, more hand/ear coordination and might be a bit much at the start. appologies if this sounds slightly pessimistic or unfair, I'm just remembering articals I've read about mainstream graphical games now being incredibly complex, ---- and I will admit it took me a while to get to grips with Shades of doom etc.

All the games accept Monkey business have free demos though, so there is always the chance to try them out first.

Pcs games does however provide a great list of all accessible games, which it might be handy to look at as well.

Also, you mention your son is learning Jaws? Jayde mentioned online games, and perhaps this might be a funthing for him to practice Jaws on.

some things that are easy to play, but highly fun are online gamebooks. These are fantasy stories, sometimes involving a basic combat system where you progress through the stories by clicking links to say where your character goes next and what he/she does. on http://www.whitestick.co.uk/fantasy.html there is a list of various gamebooks which might be good to try, in particular the lone wolf gamebooks from the project aon site at http://www.projectaon.org/new.htm
but please be aware that several others on that list are not family friendly, so you might want to check out the individual books first ( the Lone wolf stuff on project.aon are all perfectly okay though).

Also, there are some streight online text rpg and stratogy games which require subscriptions. I'm personally a huge fan of Sryth found at www.sryth.com , a massive fantasy rpg in the style of the gamebooks I mentioned earlier but with many more pages, but there are quite a few others. Some may be a litle too complex in the statistics for your son, but there are deffinately others it'd probably be worth looking at.

You can find a list of screen reader accessible online games at http://www.whitestick.co.uk/ongames.html

I hope some of this is vaguely useful.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-28 04:29:47

Hi.

There are some good educational games at bscgames.com. Don't worry, just because they're educational does not mean they're crappy!

One that I like, is called Word Strain. Both versions, Volume1 and Volume2, I like.

If you like adventure gases, Hunter from bscgames.com is a good choice.

Another one I like, which probably would not suit an 8-year-old (it's your choice hough), it's called Troopanum. It's also from bscgames.com
You basically have to defend your base from the attacking falling enemy ships. You do have to shoot; but it's with a laser gun. Some of the enemies in the game are:
Cruzers, lunar lifters, inforcer's, and in my oppinion the hardest to knock off, the hovercrafts, liquidaters, and gorbian ships. It all sounds complicated, but it's all good really.

Then again, I'm 12 at the moment and I haven't played games since I was 10, but these are good.

Another good site is http://www.kitchensinc.net
There, all games are good for all ges; they're all free so they're suitable for any age.

I, as some others, recommend l-works.net. My personal favorite is Super Liam, which is a side scroller.

As to the Wii, I am a madman at Boxing; punch the hell out of anything with the WiiMote, or is it a ReMote, no idea...

So that's my oppinion on the matter.

Regards,
Andy.

2007-11-28 04:44:45

Not all games there, WinSpank is very inappropriate, a fun game for when he is much older.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2007-11-28 04:54:54

Yeh, well of course! You didn't think...  It does, however, state on Jim's website that WinSpank, which is a game involving you spank people and then, once done, the game spits the reaction speed at you via SAPI5. As a little background info:
Sapi5, I believe, stands for speech API. You already, if you have XP, have a synthesizer to fit this criteria. It is called Microsoft Sam, although www.nextup.com has some much, much clearer voices for use with a lot of games.

Another thing:
A slew of games, over at pcsgames.net. There is a "Fantastic Games List" that, in case you haven't noticde, is a list of fantastic games! There are a lot of games on there, all of which were mentioned here on this forum.

Good luck!

2007-11-28 06:09:36

Andy, why the heck would troopanum be inappropriate for an eight year old? it's based on space invaders for goodness sake! Myself, I'd actually advise starting with something like Troopanum 2, lots of action, score posting, symple game play wich nevertheless has quite a lot of variety, there aren't even any really grusome death sfx as in Hunter, much less shades of doom. Raul gillegos' son completed the first troopanum game at age 10, so I really don't see any issue at all with playing it at age 8.

Win spank is clearly labled as an adult game on Jim's site, so I don't really think it's an issue.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-28 14:33:32

Hi Tricia.

You said Justin is learning Jaws this year? If he got any problems, you could try to post a topic in the "off topic" room, and I'm sure someone are able to help you. Maybee there are any mailinglists or forums where you can ask questions regarding Jaws? I don't know. But you can try to ask in the off topic room if Justin got any problems.

Best regards S

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2007-11-28 15:54:53

i recommend super Liam and judgment day, both from
www.l-works.net

2007-11-29 05:11:15

Well I dunno why it wouldn't dark, just I haven't played that at that age. Of course it's fine though, dunno what I was thinking!
Yes Super Liam is a great game!

2007-11-29 08:18:47

I did not play it at age 8 either andy, ----- mostly because I don't think there were! any audio games out in 1990, that's not to say I wouldn't have really enjoyed it though.

A friend of mine who's doing an Msc in computer science, actually has a four year old son who plays a lot of old 2D games such as space invaders and Mario brothers, hence my recommendations.

2007-12-06 05:28:55

Are they accessible though?

cx2
-----

2007-12-06 08:07:34

Hmmmm, for a start you'd need some sort of screen reader for your mobile even to access the games, ---- and probably to play them as well assuming you could find some streight text ones, sinse I don't believe anyone has produced any self voicing audio games for the mobile phone yet.

That's a hole area of things I just haven't investigated though, both because of price, and because for just phoning people I'm quite happy with a bog standard mobile phone which cost fourty quid, and for diary, phone numbers, memos, calculator etc, I've stil got my parrot voicemate.

2007-12-06 20:04:41

I notice the previous post was deleted, I find this suspiciously like it may have been spam.

cx2
-----

2007-12-07 02:09:53

Hmmm, I was sure that the poster mentioned the mobile games on the site being accessible, though I admit the other topic the "This site is great!" topic looked slightly suspect.