2012-10-19 03:26:00

I tried it very briefly but the interface gives me headaches, and I won't even go into how horribly complex it is lol.

2012-10-19 04:20:13

Yeah, it is. I'm still trying to figure out where everything is, lol. I got it working,f or the most part. I'm using an older version, which seems to be a bit less buggy, but, hey

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2012-10-19 10:41:35

hi
@Mord-Sith

could you manage to play the game abit?
... if so how... i'm a lazy person i don't know even how to play omg!
by the way, have you seen their wiki?

"I don't see how having a guide horse will affect my neighbors."
twitter: @hadirezae3
discord: Hadi

2012-10-19 11:03:40

Well, I had to install it to a different area, for starters. I installed it into my documents folder, works easier. Once it's in your documents folder, too, you can throw it onto a flash-drive and carry it with you, too! big_smile but, yeah, I got about 20 years into my first game, researched some things. I"m having trouble figuring out how to actually build my ships, buy engines for them, and such, but, yeah. It is interesting. If I can figure those out, Maybe I can actually get a ship into space! then gotta get some mining done, because I've basically drained Earth dry. I'd recomend using version 5.6, to be honest. It seems more stable than 6.0, and it's working a bit better for me. The summary window (f9) looks handy for overviewing your empire, but, it's a bit confusing, I've still yet to figure it all out. Give me till next weekend, gonna hang out with the girlfriend, then will have the rest of the weekend to play and test. Also going to be testing if it works with NVDA as well, for a friend of mine. But, so far, so good. Just, read the tutorial, and memorize that stuff, hahahaha. I've yet to read it all. I was going to put the tutorial into a word doc, so I can keep that in the game's folder for easy reference, too tongue Well, gotta go back to sleep, almost 2 am here, I'll play later, don't feel like commanding an empire now

Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are hummbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.

2012-10-19 14:50:54

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out ship design, and how to add components, to be honest. I researched an ion drive, and an active sensor, and I wnat to add them onto my very first ship, so I can then use it to go out and mine stuff, but, jaws isn't reading the components sad Anybody know a way around this?

2012-10-19 17:57:57

wow you can research things? nice
well i'm currently trying to understand the popilation and echo's window (when u press f2)
and i can't understand it.

do you know how the officer window works BTW?

2012-10-19 23:38:02 (edited by Mord-Sith 2012-10-20 00:26:27)

From what I gather, the officer window has a button that says auto-assign. So, what I do, is I auto-assign navil, ground forces, and civil workers, as well as scientists, so that they are all automatically assigned to places. I hit the assign button, then exit, and I basically let them do their thing. As for the population window, it's a bit difficult. Tab all the way through it, near the end, you have research, and something talking about building, it's almost right after the espionoge section. That is where you build yoru mines, and such. You can change what you build, though, with the menu that is right next to the menu from which you select installation, or, whatnot, too. The research one is pretty explainatory, but, you'll need to select a scientist, as well, so that you can research things. You'll have to click on the create button, and it'll ask for confirmation that you wnat to research. I'm having trouble figuring out the ship-building, and such, though, I"m going to ask my sister for some help with it today smile enjoy

-- Ok, I tried out the ship-building, even with sighted assistance, I can't figure it out, and it's not working for some reason. Could you ask Xcline how he did it, if you see him, or, get in touch with him? It would be helpful to know how to smile

2012-10-20 08:58:14

thanks mord..

oh well, i can't find zkline neither...

2012-10-20 13:10:42

Hopefully he'll find this forum post, I really would like to play this game, but, having some troubles, as far as building ships goes, the rest of it is pretty compatable

2012-10-21 14:31:33

guies, hae iam having defficulties which version should i download which will run very well, and iam using jaws, nvda which would better? regards thanks

2012-10-21 15:41:13

Jaws seems to work better, and I'm using version 5.60, to be honest. It's not the most recent version, but, it's pretty stable

2012-10-21 15:47:31

What you are going to do is install the installation package, it'll say 5.5 installation, or, something. Then you'll take the update in the zip that's in the main installation, and put that in the main folder. I'd recomend installing it to a place like your documents folder, it helps with some things with restrictions from admin purposes. Then you're going to download the 5.60 patch, and put all those files in the main folder, and, you're good to go

2012-10-21 16:05:56

hae, thanks i'll try that and get back best regards

2012-10-23 06:33:43

I kind of figured out making ships, just a little bit, but, still a bit confused as to how it's done. I"ll play around with it more this weekend, when I have more time to relax and chill

2014-05-27 04:47:52

Hey, all. Does AudioGames have a policy on thread necromancy? If not, I hope people won't mind if I resurrect this topic. wink
I've been getting back into Aurora lately, after leaving it for quite some time, and so am definitely interested in talking about it with people who might want to learn how to play. It's still a devilishly complicated game, but the forums are friendly, and still as active as ever. I wrote a bunch of blog posts at one time explaining how the game worked from a screen reader perspective, but those seem to have been lost to the mists of time, I'm afraid.

At any rate, if anybody has any questions, I'm happy to try and see what I can help with.

2014-05-27 17:46:25

Have there been any updates that make it easier to get into with a screen reader?

2014-05-27 20:21:59

Either that, or just make it less confusing in general.  I have no problem with deep and complex strategy games, where all of the various numbers and options connect together in a well-designed system, where everything effects everything else in a logical fashion.  Aurora, however, just felt like a bunch of random subsystems, all designed at different times, with different goals, that never actually seemed to fit together into a coherent game.  But what with the confusing interface, and widely scattered documentation, it is more than possible I missed something.

2014-05-27 20:22:19

Not really, I'm afraid. It's going to require lots of use of the Jaws cursor, or equivalent. 99% of the controls are accessible, it's figuring out how they're laid out which is going to take time. Fortunately, there are tons of tooltips to explain what many of them do.

That being said, the developer is easy to contact, and it's definitely worth doing so. He added a coordinate system to the map a while back, which makes it easier to tell where things are. I think he's willing  to add other features if they would make the game more playable, but it's hard for sighted people too. wink

2014-05-27 20:30:18

There are definitely quite a few subsystems, but if you understand how some of them work the game does make more sense. It's really a bit more like a tabletop strategy game than a computer-based one. There are rules for how the Aurora universe works, and they make internal sense once you learn them.

That being said, if you have specific questions feel free to ask. It's definitely a dense game, and not for everyone. But it's also hard to talk about generalities if something specific is confusing people. The best source of info is probably the official forums at the moment, where documentation and tutorials are ongoing.

2014-05-29 00:06:39

OMG zkline is here.
I'm really confused about  this game. zkgline, can you  explain abit about how this game work?
I have no idea at all. like, is it realtime?  do events happen in realtime? or.. no, you have to wait untill the game forward.
Can you just give me a basic idea about the game?

2014-05-29 01:09:42

The game isn't real time, but it does have a clock of sorts. You basically are able to decide how much game time passes, whenever you want things to happen. But there's no reflexes or realtime component otherwise.

Basically, the game is a giant space sandbox. You start out on Earth, and are able to design ships to go out and search for other planets, resources, alien life or whatever. The real complicated part of the game is the ship design and economic system. Ships are built out of components, most of which you also need to design. You can design different kinds of engine for military ships, or less efficient versions for civilians to use. The same goes for sensors, weapons, and so forth. It's all a bit overwhelming at first I'm afraid. The game really wasn't designed to be user-friendly, and is only playable by us at all because it happened to be written in VB6.