2007-11-28 03:27:21

Hi:

I don't usually post something like this on here but I thought it would be a good place to start. Are there people on here who take sword fighting and if you do, can you provide some information (anything) about your experience because I'm looking in to sword fighting myself. I know it's possible because I've heard some blind people have tried it before.
Thanks for your help.

Game Man

2007-11-28 05:51:58

Hmmmm, well, it depends on what you mean by "sword fighting"

If you mean fencing, well generally that is non-contact, and would be a pest I think, even if you were able to put a bleeper or other device on your opponent's phoyle, sinse in fensing with a rapier, as you always attack with the point, you very rarely touch your opponent's blade for a long time, and as the phoyle's are very fast and thin, they move very quickly.

fencing with a sabre or broard sword might be more manageable, sinse the weapon moves more slowly, and your more often in contact with your opponent's blade, but if you know people have done it, ------ why not ask them? or was it just a one time only publicity or awareness thing.

About the closest I've come is dancing with a cutlass, and a small amount of on stage fighting, but sinse that was all pretty much set, there wasn't too much difficulty other than remembering all the appropriate moves.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-29 05:50:49

Hi:

When I said that a blind person could do sword fighting I meant that it was possible. I was think more of Kendo where you would fight with another person and attack due to the whooshing sounds or something along those lines.

Game Man

2007-11-29 15:20:07

heh that sounds complicated.

2007-11-30 19:01:04 (edited by dark empathy 2007-11-30 19:24:06)

Hmmm, I'm not precisely sure about that one. Kendo swords are small and light, and there's not really much need to move them around to much or go for huge overarm slashes, the way you would with a traditional western broardsword (kendo swords tend to be one handed weapons, where as broard swords can alternate). I can see how you could guess a swords position from the sounds of a long slashing stroke, but in most styles having your weapon that far away from your body is not a good idea sinse you just leave yourself open to aving your ribs slashed. Usually the least you can move a sword, the better, it's mostly about foot work.

To be honest I think it is something you'd need to try bleepers or other adaptive stuff for.

On a very weerd note, at my rehearsal yesterday, I found out I need to have a fairly realistic and serious stage fight with someone involving large wooden staves. We're working out a code of staff parry taps to make things look realistic (especially sinse I need to be moving backwards continually throughout the fight).

This is fun, in a rather insane way.

Eddit!

Oh, and I've just noticed my knew wrank, cool! Behold my brand new uba ness! Though I think all it really proves is that I'm uba verbose.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)