2014-04-22 20:11:34

hi.
this is a question: the web browser games are boaring, or interesting?
they like grail to the tief the prototype version, or something els?
kamochek.

kamochek.

2014-04-22 20:23:06

Well, I guess it depends on the particular game and level of interest of the player. I'm not sure, since I've not played too many browser-based games. One which I have played though and really like is the Free Rice game, which I believe is listed on here. It works great in both Windows and Mac OSX. I tried another one on my Mac but it wouldn't log me in for some reason. I forget which one it was though. It seemed accessible, but I think their server might've been having a problem.

2014-04-22 21:39:03

I think webbrowser games are all boring, the content doesn't matter. I like gamebooks though

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2014-04-22 23:59:50

I personally found browser games not very interesting. Most really boiled down to going somewhere and killing someone - click this link to go to this dungeon, then click that link, keep clicking it until the monster dies, maybe check something occasionally, repeat. Some also have turn limits which I also found quite frustrating. That said, people like different experiences, so what I consider borring may actually be quite rewarding to someone else. Oh yeah, and I also very much like gamebooks and those do run in a browser. So do the choice of games, if you know how to set it up.
All this being said, if developers would start to develop browser based audio games, things could get very interesting thanks to the webaudio API's. Here are a few demos, which will work in pretty much every browser, except IE (microsoft is always really slow at catching up to web standards)

there's this synth] which has 3 oscilators (these are all generated live). You can tweak them separately and it also has reverb. If you have a midi keyboard then you can apparently play it with that as well. This particular site also has a few other demos, one of which adds effects to live audio from the microphone. Very impressive.
Speaking of synths, there's also this one that fastfinge discovered, which is also very cool. Although some effects didn't seem to work right in Firefox (EG the reverb was very scratchy), but Chrome and Safari work just fine.

This one just lets you add a couple of effects to a few loops. the effects do sound very realistic.

And then there's this Demo which was featured by Mozilla when Firefox gained webaudio support. This one makes full use of HRTF and spacial effects, which basically means it's using the same technology as somethin' else for Papasangre, plus things like walls bounce the sound off so it sounds, well, very good. When this one starts you can use w-s-a-d to walk, and if you click just right you can also look around with the mouse (and yes, up/down also works here)

So yeah. The technology is there, just no one is using it yet.

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2014-04-23 18:49:15

Well really it depends upon the game and the player, different games have  different strengths.

Puppet nightmares has a great combat system, core  exiles has very complex trading missions and  economics, kingdom of loathing has the humour, metroplexity has a good story and setting, freerice is great for a quick blast and very charitable too etc.  you really can't some up "web browser games" in one sentence sinse they vary so much in type.

@Burak I'm a little surprised that you say you like gamebooks and yet you don't care about the content in browser games,   sinse for me the games I've spent most  time on like kingdom of loathing or even sryth play more like gamebooks with more complex mechanics.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-23 20:27:39

I can't stand RP or action browser games, but the strategic civilization style ones rock my world. (OGame before they rewrote the codebase 4 years ago, Tracers which will be dead soon due to lack of interest, tribal wars, dark galaxy, etc)

2014-04-24 11:54:31

Funnily enough shut eye I'm exactly the oposite.  I'd love to play a single player civ or exploration stratogy game, but I have no interest in building something just for it to be  destroyed by another player, but as I said this is why there isn't particularly a one word  answer or  brwoser games sinse it depends very much on what each person wants in a game.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-24 15:56:09

Well, I for one generally enjoy browser based games. They tend to be fairly in depth as far as a storyline goes, and they are cross-platform making them ideal for someone who doesn't necessarily use Windows all the time.

In particular I have played Sryth quite a lot before the developer began adding various adventures that involve a lot of grinding to complete. Still, for what it is I can't think of many audio games that have the same amount of game play, as complex a storyline, and as many things to do as Sryth.

As Dark said each game has its own strengths and weaknesses and I don't think one can simply say all browser based games are boring, are this way or that, because they are all a bit different. Kingdom of Loathing, for example, is worth a few laughs because there is a lot of humor involved in the text descriptions. Core Exiles is a great game if you are into trading and economics. The Wrestling Game is a decent text based wrestling game if you are interested in managing a wrestling federation and playing wrestling matches. There is no one size fits all browser game out there, but neither should they all be good or bad just like anything else.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com