2014-04-10 06:38:24

Wow. Just reading a few of these posts makes me realize how old I am compared to a lot of you, and how many members of this forum are pretty young. I think one reason I am not as emotional over the demise of XP is that for me it was not my first operating system. It was only one of several in a long line of operating systems I have used since the early 80's.

I think the first time I used a computer it was when I was about age 7 or so. It was an Apple II-E running Apple Works. Naturally, Apple Works was as primitive as can be compared to what we have to day. In the early days it was basically a monochrome command prompt where you typed commands like "run football" to start a game of football which was text only. Most games for the Apple were text only back then so they were not anything fancy to write home about.

From there, this being the mid 80's or so, I got an Apple II-J which had a newer versions of Apple Works on it. Unlike prior versions of Apple Works this version came with a menu. You would insert the floppy, type in the days date, eject the disc, turn it over and were presented in a sort of Start Menu. All in text of course. You could arrow up and down to various commands instead of type them directly into the command prompt.

From there around 1990 or so I graduated to an IBM 286 running MS Dos 5.0. This is still pre-graphical user interface so like with Apple Works I basically had to type commands like cd to change directories, dir to get a list of directories, copy to copy a file, del to delete a file, and so on. About the only thing coming close to graphical back then was The Dos Shell which came with PC Dos which allowed you to bring up a graphical list of the files and directories on the hard drive. However, as the Dos Shell didn't come with all versions of Dos it was only on IBM computers and not HP, AST, Compaq, Del, etc.

Naturally I stuck with that system for a couple of years, upgraded it to MS Dos 6.2, and performed other upgrades on it until the IBM 486 came out. When the 486 came out I upgraded to it, because wonder of wonders besides Microsoft Dos it came with Microsoft Windows 3.1 which was the first version of Windows I have ever used. It wasn't as graphical or detailed as what we have today, but it was leaps and bounds more advanced than Dos. There were better graphics, better games, and one thing I loved was being able to assign sounds to various events which hadn't been possible in Dos.

In 1996 I started collecting SSI, and I purchased an IBM Aptiva with a Pentium 166 processor, Windows 95, and by that time I was losing my vision so got Jaws for Windows 2.0. I wasn't very happy with the first release of Windows 95 because it constantly crashed and I often had to go back to the 486 to get anything done because Windows 3.1 was more stable than 95. I liked the look and feel of 95 which was really awesome, but its stability was terrible. It wasn't until Microsoft released 95B that the OS was remotely worth having.

In 1998 I was in college, and while I had my Aptiva it wasn't portable. I purchased a laptop with Windows 98 on it, and I have to say by and large Windows 98 was probably my favorite OS. Especially, 98 Second Edition which was more stable than Windows 95 or Windows 98, but was simple and easy to use. I of course liked it so much I went out and got Windows 98 for the Aptiva which meant I quickly moved to 98 once I found how much I liked it.

Around 2000 I did buy the Windows Millennium upgrade for my laptop, but it ran so slowly that I eventually had to take it off. Millennium frankly sucked and I considered it a waste of money.

I'm trying to think of when I got my first XP machine and I believe that was around 2002. I got a new desktop, actually built a new desktop, and along with I got an OEM version of XP. At the time it was the first version of XP without the service packs so it crashed alot and like a lot of people I did a fair amount of bitching and griping about it. It wasn't until SP1 came out that XP was worth having. By the time SP2 came out it was a fairly decent OS.

Over the course of the next few years I actually purchased and owned more than one PC so I will skip all the details and just say I was happy with XP up until around 2007 when I got a new laptop with Vista on it, and slowly updated some of my other machines to Vista slowly phasing XP out.

When Windows 7 came out, I want to say 2009, I got a copy, found out how much better it was than Vista, and immediately purchased licenses for all of my ,machines that could run it and upgraded them. Those that couldn't run Windows 7 got Linux, and I still mainly use windows 7 on my Windows computers and have a couple of systems running Linux.

To end this long rant I did get a Toshiba laptop in 20011 which came with Windows 7, but last year I upgraded it to Windows 8. Although, I am unwilling to convert all of my systems to Windows 8 I do use the OS on one system and was willing to evaluate it before rendering judgement. In my opinion Windows 8 has its faults, is a new experience, but it has a lot of pros as well.

What I am getting at with this long post is that a lot of you are young, haven't had 30 years of experience behind you, so losing XP is a new experience for you. I have seen operating systems come and go so many times I no longer get attached to any of them. I use them for as long as they are of use to me and switch when it is time to switch. Sooner or later you will have to let go of XP and find something else you can like as well or something you can live with because XP's days are done.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-04-10 19:36:48

good bye xp!
: : : just found something on twitter where someone plays a piano toon over the windows sounds, as kind of a reminder or something. it's perfectly in synk.

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2014-04-11 04:10:22

Here's an article about using the Windows XP mode image as your XP installation. It might be an option, although it's frought with some treachery, namely that switching hypervisors causes freezes. And you need another key, because the VPC BIOS that's emulated in Win7 will not be available under another hypervisor.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-11 10:28:26 (edited by gellman 2014-04-11 11:18:11)

@Sebby

Activation of Windows XP is not necessary in order to use the OS in a virtual machine.

It's possible to reset the time and date of the VM to the first day of the month within which you have to register and use Windows XP forever in trial mode.

Provided that the product key used to install Windows XP matches the setup.ini in the setup folder you in fact only need one key for installation.

The rest is  for activation.

There are several possibilities:

(1) Install Windows XP inside a VM (VMWare) and freeze the date and time (there are several references on how to accomplish this by editing the VMX file).

(2) Install Windows XP with a generic OEM product key inside a VM (VMWare) and modify the DMI BIOS strings to match the OEM vendor.

The OEM generic keys are available from Microsoft Technet, but if they aren't, I have them on file.
Update:

Read and save the article: "Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP"

If you have a Windows XP OEM cd which came with your old computer, you can use the generic key (for Home or Pro)  to perform a fresh installation of Windows XP in a VM.

The new virtual installation of Windows XP will function for 30 days and is fully functional within the grace period.

In order to activate a virtual OEM Windows XP you need to add some strings to the virtual DMI BIOS.

This is done by configuring VMWare or Virtualbox to emulate the OEM vendor's DMI strings and by adding some OEM specific files

to %%systemroot%%\\oobe.

m

2014-04-13 06:07:50

Yeah, it's possible, and I'll have that reference on freezing the date and time and configuring the BIOS machine description strings in various products if you have them, thanks.

The question is why. TechNet used to offer (my sub just recently expired, but I have all my keys) XP Retail disc images and keys. So in fact, I'm all set for activation. But I think it's safe to say that not everybody will be.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-13 16:09:22 (edited by gellman 2014-04-13 16:46:40)

@Sebby
For reference on how to freeze time in a virtual machine read:

"Timekeeping in VMware Virtual Machines"

For reference on how to simulate a vmware OEM BIOS and activate Windows XP on virtual hardware read:

"Painless HP OEMBIOS and VMWare Bios Pre-Mod"

"[Modded] Vmware Workstation/Player Multi Brand Bios Installer"

I can help you with the files.

Update: There is a PM for you!

m

2014-04-14 02:01:49 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-14 02:03:16)

Thanks Gellman; got it.

The VMWare article was especially useful, but thanks for the BIOS; I will be trying it with my next clean install.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 03:58:43

Confirmed that a fresh VM can obtain all the patches.

I wouldn't bother with Security Essentials, even if you can get it installed. It nags you to death about the OS no longer getting patches, and moreover recently completely broke XP if you happened to update your sigs at the wrong moment. OTOH, it may not be the right choice for everyone.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 22:29:55 (edited by gellman 2014-04-20 22:35:34)

@tward

Interesting story.

I think that a lot of the morning over Windows XP is due to the perception that XP was the first stable Windows with the best accessibility and least bloated user interface..

I must confess that I don't like Win7 or 8 and that the screen reader accessibility support  seems to be either stagnant or getting worse.

and 8 is also more sluggish than XP with JAWS which a lot of users unfortunately have to stick with due to software being incompatible with NVDA.

@Sebby

Interesting.

How did you activate?

Did you try the OEMBIOS solution?

By the way,
you should download and preserve all Windows XP updates while you can, because Microsoft may close the download servers without notice.

A good solution for accomplishing this purpose is WSUS Offline.

It's an offline downloader and generator for Windows XP , Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1, Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.

It can create an ISO for offline installation of all updates.

It's ideal for a virtual machine lacking internet access.

Another great solution I can recommend is driverpacks.net.

m

2014-04-21 02:35:58 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-21 06:48:50)

@gellman: nope, this is just my retail install.

Thanks for reference to DriverPacks, that looks totally awesome and I expect I'll be using that fairly soon.

Win2K updates are still available as of now. I'll definitely get the XP updates at some point, but probably later down the road. smile

Edit: ARGH! I broke it already (display driver issues, oh the horrors). I think I'll be getting that offline installer sooner than I thought. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-21 09:37:44

@Sebby

No need to start from scratch; if you are interested, I can provide you with offline   isos of all Windows XP updates for offline installation.

I have used WSUS to generate isos for Windows XP,  7, Vista, 7 and 8 and 8.1..

Tell me if you are interested, and I am willing to provide you with a WSUS offline ISO for any Windows version you desire.

If you ever go the Driverpacks route, you should also get DriverForge 5.0 for Windows XP.

DriverForge will recursively scann an entire folder including all subfolders for matching plug and play drivers.

You can use DriverForge in conjunction with Driverpacks.net by extracting all Windows XP driverpacks to a single folder and point DriverForge to the folder containing the driverpacks.

m

2014-04-21 09:59:17 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-21 10:31:39)

@gellman: I was just going to ask. smile Yes, both the XP and 7 offline installers would be very helpful. Thanks a lot!

Edit: Cannot find this Driver Forge of which you speak.

Edit2: yes I can, if I remove the space that Siri inserts. Ta. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-23 01:28:33

@Gellman: check your PMs. You may notify me of follow-ups by email.

I may be a Mac user, but I still have BitTorrent. On the contrary I do not have Java. Please refrain from any suggestion that require it. We may be pirates, but we are not tasteless. big_smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-23 03:10:06

@Sebby

Yes, got your PM.

I don't often check my Yahoo mail, so now it's Hushmail time.

if others are interested in the WSUS offline ISO just mail me.

Sorry for even hinting that you might install java.

But in my stupid country, java is required for authentication on public websites.

The publicly funded solution is called EasyID (NemID) and is even mandatory for home banking causing several accessibility problems of its own.

m

2014-04-23 23:05:02

@Gellman: Thanks a lot mate. It all checks out. This will save me a lot of time. smile

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-28 20:59:52 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-28 23:21:49)

Oh, dear. This use-after-free vulnerability affects IE6, too. And doesn't require Flash …

Dump IE. It doesn't matter if you don't like Firefox, just do it. There won't be a fix for this in XP, even if there's no fix available for any of the platforms right now. Unless you want to try EMET …

Edit: or buy a Mac. smile

Mitigation is available for this bug, by disabling VML support.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-29 05:06:40 (edited by ambro86 2014-04-29 05:07:54)

Guys, my hint is to go out from Windows xp, from now on there will come a lots of exploits. After one year to be safe and use Windows xp you will not use internet at all. Windows 7 and 8 are great and more stable and safe than xp.

2014-05-01 20:20:20

Hi, I've read that Microsoft corrected the Internet Explorer problem also in Windows XP, and it will install as automatic update. So, nostalgic people, you can continue for now! smile

2014-05-30 22:14:45 (edited by Sebby 2014-05-30 22:52:07)

This is almost too good to be true. By simply tricking Windows Update into thinking you're on XP embedded, you can continue to download and install updates for XP.

Holy tripe!

Edit: tried it, and perhaps you will be unsurprised to learn that it didn't work for me. sad

Just myself, as usual.

2014-05-31 16:43:30

OK, correction: it does work, if you make sure that the registry file is three lines, and yes I got the newest updates. But ...

At least in my VM, the machine boots, but the desktop takes a little while to appear. I'm not sure why this is. Proceed cautiously.

The other option, I was thinking, was to go with Windows Server 2003 as a desktop, which is still supported and has enough of the XP runtime to be useful. But, I fear that I am perhaps taking this all a bit too seriously, and that I should perhaps just quit now, while the going's good.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-06-27 20:13:04

I’d just go with the mac. After all, updates to Mac OS are free, unlike for Windows. Plus, Apple doesn’t destroy old stuff, they make it better, like all the voices in Macintalk. Fred, Bruce, and Vicki are all old voices, but still are there, and good. Plus, Mac is the only OS I know of with system-wide spellchecking.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2014-06-28 07:03:14

Unfortunately, Apple seem intent on destroying functionality and reducing the platform to iOS-level competence, which does not give me a great deal of confidence about its future. I think it's better than 7, at least for the end-user, but it's hard to argue that XP was a good old dog, while it lasted.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-06-28 22:56:53

I don’t see that. Mac is still as powerful as its ever been, to me. I have Windows XP virtualized, and use it for Miranda IM and all the other apps whose developers haven’t seen the need to port the apps to Mac yet.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me

2014-06-29 04:15:53

Each to his own, I guess. I just think there was once a time when Apple genuinely tried to cater to everybody, including the minor level geeks. Now you can't even view the plain text of a multipart email, monitor your base stations using SNMP, or configure half the services in OS X Server with any degree of depth.

But yeah, sure, "Progress". sad

Just myself, as usual.

2014-06-29 20:09:04

Interesting. Well I still think Apple’s applications are way more powerful than Windows ones. I love that I can copy and paste any attachment right from the finder to the email client, and make links that use the text as its “click here” type thing, something windows mail couldn’t do, and it all works, just works. One thing I don’t like though is that developers of audio games don’t seem to know the power of the mac. For example, if a user turns on “control voiceover with applescript” a developer can send text right to voiceover, not just using the system voice. I’m reminded over and over how mostly customizable voiceover is, and how powerful it is. You can’t possibly resize things, something pretty useful in garageband, in windows screen readers, and you definitely can’t drag and drop, something pretty useful with applications. No more needing to open up cmd just to send a file right to an application before the app opens… GXSCC anyone? Nah, sound fonts are better anyway, even for midi-to-NES like stuff. Plus, Alex, the voice on the mac, is downright awesome!The only natural voice on windows that even remotely reacts to exclamations is, uh, Microsoft Sam. Crazy isn’t it? But Alex, Fred, Bruce, Vicki and all other Macintalk voices work wonderfully with it! And yes, there’s a mudding client for the mac, called Mudder, which I use for alteration. No, its not Mush-Z, but it does well enough, and reads automatically, using voiceover. Yes, using the actual voiceover speech, instead of the system voice, unlike RS-games, ugh.

Devin Prater
My Blog
Follow me