2014-04-20 03:41:43 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-20 03:43:37)

Following what seems to be a determined effort by Dropbox to instate Condoleezza Rice as their privacy advisor, I am thinking it can't be long now before the shit hits the fan and that maybe, just maybe, I should perhaps get off this sinking ship and find an alternative.

Any ideas? It has to be accessible. Options that require being run on a (local or self-hosted cloud) server can be accommodated, although of course it will not be quite as swimming as Dropbox. Nor as well integrated into iOS. But worth considering all the same. The two most likely to appeal to me are OwnCloud and BitTorrent Sync. Any others? What about accessibility concerns?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 04:42:26

I've only ever used dropbox and BitTorrent Sync.
I'll say that I seem to be able to use BitTorrent Sync on windows fine with NVDA screen review.
When adding a new folder to share it seems to label the 2 textboxes wrong, the first is for the key and the second is for the folder path.
But once you know this it works all right.
I use screen review to switch tabs.
I've never tried to add someone elses shared folder, just shared my own and sent people the key so my usage is limited.
Nor do I know what apps support it on iOS.
It's nice that the service does not have any storage limit though.
HTH

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2014-04-20 04:44:34

Ta. Can you also get what you need from the web UI, if you tried that?

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 04:52:27

I didn't realize there was a web UI.
The service is peer to peer file sharing so the files are never stored on a centralized server as is the case with dropbox.
This also means you can't sync with your computer if it's gone to sleep or powered down, etc.
This isn't really a problem for me though.
Do you have a link to the web UI?

~ Ian Reed
Visit BlindGamers.com to rate blind accessible games and see how others have rated them.
Try my free JGT addon, the easy way to play Japanese games in English.
Or try the free games I've created.

2014-04-20 06:40:11

I do not believe there is a web UI. Files are simply shared with 2 or more computers using the hard disk space. So, if one of them runs out well, bye bye goes the syncing for that computer!

2014-04-20 08:11:22

one could try solidfiles. extremely similar to DB and accessible as well.

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2014-04-20 13:42:01

I personally am a big fan of sendspace. with the pro account you get 1.2  tb of space and absolutely perminant hosting with no file size limits, as opposed to I believe 10 gb space, 300 mb size limits and auto deletion after 30 days of no downloads on a free account.

the wizard program is extremely accessible and indeed the devs have added things like text labels. In addition to being a very good file browser in it's own right the wizard also is good for both downlods and uploads, and even holds the history if your net connection breaks or you turn off the computer. The wizard is available for windows and mac, though not Ios, though I don't know how the mac one works. The disadvantage with ss is that if your sharing files with people who aren't members, either they will get slower downloads, or you can use pro links of which you have 100 gb bandwidth a month to share.

As to shared folders, you can setup what is disconcertingly called a sendspace dropbox, whereby other people can upload to a folder you own, yu just give people the upload link.

That is the other thing I like about sendspace as opposed to dropbox, no need to go through complicated invite purposes or mess around with sharing folders, you just send the link to people you want to share stuff with and visa versa.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-20 20:54:42

OK, I thought I understood that the BitTorrent Sync client itself offered a web UI. Perhaps not, or perhaps one could be bolted on. Anyway, I can live without. They now have an iOS client and an API (but still proprietary sad ).

@Dark: I looked at Sendspace but they seem to emphasise sharing rather than storage or sync. Not to say that they don't look nice, but I'd really like to roll these in too, if that's at all possible.

Thanks for your suggestions so far--keep 'em coming. I can confirm that SpiderOak is inaccessible (CAPTCHA).

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-20 22:51:12

@Sebby

If you host anything in the cloud, always always encrypt locally and never depend on bogus privacy promises by online cloud providers.

By the way, BTSync is closed source and relies on Bittorrent's servers.

I don't think that Dropbox is more privacy unfriendly than any other online service.

There are several good reasons to ditch Dropbox -- not least its price, but privacy concerns is not one of them.

Have you tried Box.net or GoogleDrive?

These alternatives are not self-hosted, but they are cheaper and accessible. and integrate with ISO and Android devices.

m

2014-04-20 22:55:28

@Sebby

It's true that the BTSync client offers an web UI, but this is only available in the Linux version.

I must ask what you need.

If you only need a file sharing platform Zippyshare is free accessible and compatible with all modern web browsers.

if you need an alternative for longterm storage, Bitcasa my be for you.

Also read the old threads on audiogames.net  about file sharing.

site:forums.audiogames.net "file sharing"

m

2014-04-20 23:36:51 (edited by Sebby 2014-04-21 10:34:17)

@gellman: the primary objective is sync, followed closely by availability, and then sharing.

Regardless of the perils, sometimes storing unencrypted is necessary for convenience. My backups are already encrypted in Amazon S3 using Arq. That's really not an issue. iOS already has an ArqView client by which backups can be accessed remotely, but sharing is completely hobbled.

AFAICT BTSync is peer-to-peer; the BT servers are only required to mediate the connections. Of course, that's no excuse for it to be closed source. Naturally, if this were enough of a concern for me, well there's always an inotify watcher and rsync.

As to Dropbox not being any less privacy-sensitive than anyone else, see the link in the OP. Dunno about you, but having a war criminal with a fancy for surveillance is not my idea of a good candidate for a privacy advisor. Maybe she is a good choice, maybe she isn't, but I don't want to be on Dropbox when she sells us out.

My home Internet connection can theoretically support my needs and I have a Mac Mini that'll make a fine server, so in theory I should be set for BTSync. Plus, my data is my own. Naturally, there's always the risk of fire or flood, and sharing will be a bit slower …

Bitcasa is very slow, unfortunately. I don't know why this is, but without LAN sync of any kind it's not an option.

I have not tried box.net. Google Drive was unsatisfactory--no sync, only storage. There are CLI tools, but they only work on the subset of files that are not pulled in my Google Docs. And frankly I'm not so sure that Google is the right place anyway.

Edit: box.net has an accessible site, with less features (it's the mobile version).

Edit2: FiloSync looks wonderful, made by the same people that made Arq. It's also fucking expensive! Not a likely choice, then.

Edit3: Discard AeroFS for being costly. Arq and BTSync looks like where I'm going. This assumes the availability of my always-on Mac Mini. There is also a local copy, and all deleted files are saved by the headless client. Sharing has been significantly hampered, but on the plus side there is no unencrypted data in the cloud anymore. I think this is it.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-21 10:53:11

Just try 2shared. It is also accessible.

2014-04-21 11:03:10

Well Sebby it is true that sendspace is a file sharing rather than storage system, but there is no reason you can't use it for storage either, indeed I've done this myself on occasions, and abilities to create folders whererever and organize your files easily help with storage.

The only primary difference I could see between using sendspace and something like google drive is that I don't know what the download speeds are on those cloud systems, indeed Icloud at least lets you directly access online files so you can do things like stream media files from your cloud. Sendspace won't et you do that, if say i banged a folder of documents on sendspace I'd need to physically download it at the other end if I want to read them, but for me at least this hasn't been an issue, especially given the convenience of the ss wizard program.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-21 13:02:37

Any of these alternatives supports hotlinking?

2014-04-21 15:50:34

@Socheat

2shared  has imposed several limitations, and is no longer any good.

You can now only download one file per day from an IP address, and this is bad even for free file hosts.

m

2014-04-22 00:23:23

box.net isn't good when it comes to it's IOS app sadly it's really hard to opirate

2014-04-22 02:30:59

@Gellman
I haven't check 2shared for awhile, sorry.

2014-04-22 03:50:52

@Dark: Yeah, how stable are those Sendspace links, and can you link to the files directly? That's really what matters for sharing. I see from your previous posts that links you've shared take you to a dedicated download page with ads that you can pay to remove--that's annoying, but tolerable, I suppose. But these services invariably fall into the grey zone of ad sponsorship that I find a bit dodgy, along with RapidShare and Mega, that I invariably dislike because they sacrifice some quality to serve the free user population. Might as well just use a hoster and pay for the bandwidth you actually use. For now I have been using S3+CloudFront (all the links to files I've posted on this board are hosted there, for example, and continue to work and will do so for the foreseeable future), but this is clumsy as it requires command-line foo to work and moreover I have to upload everything twice--once to my backup, and once for sharing. Not that I mind when the alternative is Dropbox, which limits the number of downloads and is very slow outside the USA, or asking people to see ads.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-22 03:51:56

Sendspace has a very privacy unfriendly policy.

There are previous threads about SS on Audiogames.net, and the policy is neither good for privacy nor the end user.

References:

site:audiogames.net"Very Angry with SendSpace!"

site:audiogames.net "cloud storage services"

site:audiogames.net "Accessible file sharing"

Please read these threads before paying for a Sendspace subscription.

Now that we have BTSync, Zippyshare, and GoogleDrive all for free I frankly don't understand why anyone would pay for a file sharing service.

m

2014-04-22 03:54:51

Thanks Gellman. I was looking for those.

Just myself, as usual.

2014-04-22 03:57:50

@Sebby

Zippyshare is a great alternative for file sharing.

They offer a Windows only upload tool and captcha free downloads.

And best of all, you can automate transfers with Jdownloader, Myphony or another copypaste link download manager.

The only drawback is that there is no syncing and that all files must be split into 200 MB segments, but all this can be automated.

m

2014-04-22 05:01:44

How about mediafire?

2014-04-22 05:21:17

@Socheat

Mediafire is not very accessible.

you can download but the uploader is inaccessible.

There is a desktop application, but it's completely inaccessible.

m

2014-04-22 09:44:46

I'd not recommend mediafire sinse the site seems really cluttered, and even downloading is a pain.

Regarding sendspace and privacy I've never run into problems myself, the only time I've heard of someone running afowl of ss's privacy policy is when they constantly bugged the admins about their files, indeed I suspect with ss what they claime in their privacy policy and what practically they do about it are rather  different things, indeed I do know for a fact they changed the policy after all the hassle with pipa but haven't made any major changes to the way they work sinse then.

Adds wise, well you don't get the adds if downloading with the wizard, though I will agree they're annoying, however sinse sendspace has a standard "click here to start download" link rather than shinanigans with waiting for a timer, going through a complex custom tool where you have to struggle with telling the adds from the actual content or the like the way I have seen sites like mediafire employ.

2014-04-22 11:12:17

Mediafire sometimes, when downloading, It is need the crap capchas appear. but the audio challenge is pretty good for listen.