2014-04-11 19:01:55

For 3 years, I  have been using NVDA as my primary screen reader. However, since I started using it, I have wished that Office would get better support. I know that minor improvements were made, and PowerPoint is now supported. But, isn't it time that NVDA focusees on improving the experience by adding new features? What features would you want?

2014-04-11 19:10:11

I guess the right question is, what features do you find inaccesible? I have been using nvda and office for college for a while now, and never had a problem.

2014-04-11 19:43:31

But, don't you think they can do better.
For example, like in JAWS, bold, italics and underline toggle changes with CTRL+B, I and U are announced, but nvda does not.

2014-04-12 15:53:45

Keep in mind, as NVDA is "Free Software," the best support with office, is "Open Office," especially now with 4.1, as of this writing, in beta.

And finally! Java access bridge is not required in order to use it!

2014-04-14 16:54:07

Do you know where I could get an add-on that announces the font size and attribute changes made by the keyboard for nvda?

2014-04-20 20:37:35

wait what trenton? Open office is supported in NVDA? I had to use java access bridge, at least as far as I know. Is there a beta version of open office that's not the official 4.0.1 release that is accessible without java access? I am just curious as I do have office 2010, but it's good to know what's out there. THe problem i had with open office 4.0.1 and NVDA was that open office calc didn't tell me which cells had formulas and which did not, and also it wouldn't read the entire content of extremely long cells unless I navigated to them from a different direction like from above instead of from the left. Also in writer, every time I moved down a line it would act like it had focussed on a new edit box. Perhaps though, those are just problems with the access bridge; I know that it wasn't made very efficiently.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2014-04-21 12:36:17

Yeah Trenton, do you using NVDA snapshots or what?

2014-04-21 19:37:36

I believe I heard that it was a beta version of Libre Office that introduced native accessibility, without the need for the Java Access Bridge, as an experimental feature, released just a few weeks or so ago.
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2014-04-22 02:35:02

Oh really? that's sound really cool.