2007-06-14 08:07:51

Hi,
My name is Henry D Reyes. I live in Littleton, a suburb of Denver in Colorado in the United States. I have been blind since birth. My hobbies include swimming, playing on the computer, singing, acting, biking, and many other things. I was not introduced to audio games until about 2 years ago, when my mom bought me some games as birthday presents, and Lonewolf was among them. Now I have all the GMA games except for Packman Talks, because I haven't really been interested by that game. Well, I think that's enough about me. Have a nice day,
Henry

Education never ends. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.
Sherlock Holmes

Thumbs up

2007-06-14 21:36:57

Hi:

How did your mom know about audio games? It's not everyday we hear about someone's parents introducing you to audio games.

Game Man

Thumbs up

2007-06-14 22:48:21

Hi,
My mom was looking for something to give me for my birthday and heard about audio games from a certain company. Unfortunately, I don't know the name. After she got me Lonewolf, I looked at the other games on the CD that she had ordered and found the other games. She gave the other games to me as either Christmas or birthday presents.
Henry

Education never ends. It is a series of lessons, with the greatest for the last.
Sherlock Holmes

Thumbs up

2007-06-15 01:20:36

Hi:

I believe she heard about a company called GMA Games. They are a great game company. I've bought GMA Tank Commander from them.

Game Man

Thumbs up

2007-06-15 01:47:01

Hi,
I know she heard about GMA Games. She actually heard about audio games in general from another company, which I seem now to recollect was Independent Living Aids. I think she bought Lonewolf from that company.
Henry

Sherlock Holmes

Thumbs up

2007-06-15 10:49:28

Greetings Hdr, welcome to the forum.

was this independent living aides company on the net or was it local? I know here in Englnd there aren't many agents who physically sell audio game Cd's, ----- Cobalt systems is the only one I've heard of, and they only sold the bavisoft games. then again, sinse most organizations who have anything to do with visually impared people over here assume that everyone visually impared is over the age of 65, it's not too surprising.

Have you checked out any other audio game companies besides gma? Pcs games http://www.pcsgames.net/ has a huge list of available audio games, ----- pluss they sell The Sarah and the Castle of Witchcraft and wizardry game, which was made using the Gma game engine, ----- deffinately recommended if your a Harry potter fan.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-15 22:06:08

Hi:
Indapendant Living Aids is an online company.

Game Man

Thumbs up

2007-06-15 22:31:01

Hi,
Yes, I have looked at other companies. I think I will ask mom for judgement day. I tried the demo, and seems to be pretty cool. I also tried the Sarah game, and I liked it. There are a lot of games I would like and eventually hope to be able to register them.
Henry

Sherlock Holmes

Thumbs up

2007-07-31 16:53:40

Hello my fello audio gamers. My name is James, and I am 17 years old. I was born 3 months premature, and left totally blind which I love! I've allways enjoyed video games like the 2-d metroid series, super mario for the NES, and sonic the hedgehog. I discovered the awesome world of audiogames in I would say 2000. I heard about this site from my VI teacher. To Richard and CO. Good work on the site. I've been lurking around here for a while, and just recently registored for these forums. Anyways, my favorite audio games are: SOD aka shades of doom, super Liam, and rail racer.
Unfortunately for me, I'm on a dial-up connection that's about as slow as a dial-up connection can get! This means that skype and other voice chat programs is pretty much off limits to me, but there's allways e-mail!

Sorry for the long, boring intro, but I figured you all might want to know a little about me.

To all the audio gamers out there, may the audio games give you many hours of pleasure!

Thumbs up

2007-07-31 22:09:42

Hi James, are you James from Conspirasoft? You know, that company that made Duck Hunter?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-07-31 22:46:40

No Mike. I am not the James that you were talking about. Thanks for asking though.

James

Thumbs up

2007-07-31 22:50:47

Lol, sorry. I forgot, he goes under a different username. Lol

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-08-21 04:40:01

Hey.  What's  up?  My name's  Nick.  I live  in  California.  I  am  blind  and  have  been  since  pretty  much  birth.  I  love audio  games.  They're  the  only  thing  I  can  play.  I  play  a  lot  of  them.  Anybody  who  knows  of  some  free  simulation  audio  games  or  some  text-based  online  games  should e-mail  me. E-mail  me  at  [email protected].

Thumbs up

2007-08-21 19:48:22

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

Hmmm, simulation games. Well Gma games produce two that I know of, Gma tank commander, and Lone wolf, where you command a 2nd world war Submarine. http://www.gmagames.com/  these games are commercial, but imho well worth paying for.

there are also a number of racing audio games around, but I'm not sure whether these class as sim or not. anyway, you can check out the free topspeed game from playing in the free topspeed 2 game from playing in the dark at http://www.playinginthedark.net/index_e.htm which also allows you to download extra cars and tracks, and race against other people online.

My personal favourite racing game is Rail racer from Blind adrenaline. Once again it's a commercial game, but has really exelent gameplay, as well as the ability to create your own tracks, buy upgrades for your racer and take part in online tournaments. sinse it's set in a sort of post appocalyptic future where the entire world has become blind, i'm not sure if it's sim or not, but if you like racing games I can deffinately recommend it. go to http://www.blindadrenaline.com/

As to text online games, the whitestick.co.uk site actually has an entire page devoted to them at http://www.whitestick.co.uk/ongames.html

I'd personally recommend Sryth, Kingdom of Loathing and Gothador (though Gothador can be a litle complicated to navigate). also, if your into fighting fantasy style gamebooks where you progress by clicking links, the Whitestick.co.uk site has a page for them as well, go to http://www.whitestick.co.uk/fantasy.html

Hopefully some of these links will be useful to you.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-22 13:05:38

For the text games too if you use Jaws try the GMud or JMC clients, with the clients and scripts available from
www.gutterstar.net
Or alternately for Jaws, Window Eyes or independent SAPI speech there is the MonkeyTerm clients and scripts from
www.randylaptop.com/mudding

After you have a client set up you can pick whatever mud takes your fancy. Be aware though that the general MonkeyTerm scripts from randyLaptop and the Miriani specific ones from Liam don't coexist together - one will end up screwing up the other.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

Thumbs up

2007-09-03 01:55:19

Hi,
When I worked at Kurzweil, I got interested in audio games.
Now I code games that have audio as well as graphical user interfaces for a company near Boston.
I've got nearly 30 years professional experience building graphical user interfaces, but am a noobie with audio user interfaces.
This forum seems an excellent place to learn about audio user interfaces: what works for people, what doesn't work.
BTW. I also have almost no experience with forums. Sigh!
So hello everyone.
John Bannick

2007-11-05 23:54:07

I guess this is kind of late for me to introduce myself but, in case you are a new member.
I am Ryan Smith, not blind, but play audiogames thank to my brother (Andy Smith, Blind From Birth). Anyway, I am a security freak, and have always enjoyed programming since I was 9 working with QBasic. When I entered the blind community, I started a game company called RS Games, and we currently have a great beta of a game called Shoot Da Me. I am mainly working with Visual Basic 6, although I am learning AutoIt and PHP. I am also 12 years old living in the United States.

From,
Ryan Smith
Head of RS Games
RS Games Website

2007-11-24 12:03:31

Hi! I'm Hermione Trail. I live in England and Sweden, depending on wich time it is. I have been on this site and read the forums for a while, but i haven't registered before now.

Sometimes the best you can doo is to forget. Don't waste your time with what already has been done, because then you wil just break down in the end.

Thumbs up

2007-11-24 17:56:10

Hello Hermi, Welcome.

As an intro too, as I have not done this yet, I am a hobby game programmer. Nothing major so far created. Pretty much simple casual style games. I now prefer to work in Javascript. But it is fun to create the games.

Yo

Thumbs up

2008-02-09 07:07:44

hi! i'm Derek roberts. I'm 15 and am blind, something about retinopothy of prematurity or whatever, have no clue about the spelling. I am in Eastern time, and using a dell desktop with windows Vista home basic and a (finally!) fully licensed version of jaws 9, which I think is just some slightly modified scripts from jaws 8, but that's just my opinion. big_smile I have just discovered the joys of spyware, lol. I mean, you can go to about any site with ads and next time you do a scan (AVG, btw) you could get like 10+ tracking cookies.
gur'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'rir'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r'r? I also, as you could probably tell, like making eloquence do weird things, like:
blpblpblpblpblpblblblplplpllplpllplpl'l'l'l'l'l'la.
Also like dectalk. will add more later, really late over here. ttyl.

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

Thumbs up

2008-02-21 13:44:59

Hi everybody,
I am newbie here. Am I a student.
My interests are sports, computer games.

Thumbs up

2008-02-21 15:18:28

Hi Darius, and Welcome.

Your certainly not the only student here, ---- and most deffinately not the only person interested in computer games, ---- ;D.

Hope you have fun.

2008-03-06 06:20:41

Hey Darius, welcome! also Ddark what was the symbol? if that was supposed to be a big smile or "open-mouthed" smile it's : D without the space, no other punctuation.

tx

"Actually, they're just super-advanced holograms created for the sole purpose of enriching a children's cardgame."

Thumbs up

2008-03-08 22:18:38 (edited by BlueScreen 2008-03-31 14:36:01)

Well it's a bit late to introduce myself, since I have participated for some time now, but here it goes:
I'm 14 years old. I'm blind from birth by Leber's amaurosis. My hobbies are playing with computers (gaming, playing with music, programming and general-level hacking), playing with keyboards / piano, swimming and judo. I like different kinds of metal music, such as heavy, power, epic, neoclassikal and gothic metal. I also like old game music such as NES. In fact I have reperformed some of those songs (Alloyrun, Final Fantasy VII town and the legend of zelda).
I like action / adventure audio games. As of now Judgement day and Tarzan JR. are my favourites..
I also like to meet new people, so you can add my MSn (it's in my profile) or send an E-Mail.

2008-03-09 23:55:08

Hi BlueScreen,

Dark and I know another gamer up in Finnland.
His name is Velu and he goes to University at Oulu.

Another neat gamer is Thomas Westin, over at U. Stockholm.
He co-founded pininteractive and also the Game Accessibility Special Interest Group for the International Game Developers Association.

John Bannick
CTO
7-128 Software