2014-04-11 13:11:24

This message was  recently set  to the audeasy list, and I am thinking people wil really! want to know about this, indeed I can't wait until the weekend when I can try it myself.

About Time of Conflict.
It is a strategy game that can be used by both the visually
impaired and
sighted. The goal of the game is to subdue the enemy and
capture all of the
cities.
When a city is captured it will begin producing forces that
may be used
against the enemy.
Time of Conflict 2.0 is now released. You may download
it from:
http://www.GMAGames.com/toc20008.exe
For the next week it will be treated as a public beta to
ensure there is
nothing major that was missed during its release.
Everyone has 21 days to
put it through its paces before the evaluation period
expires.
Time of Conflict 2.0 is significantly bigger and better than
version 1.0.
The new features are:
Now supports NVDA, Window Eyes, Jaws, Hal, Super
Nova, and MS-SAPI.
Supports multi-player gaming (test version).
The game now supports your choice of turn-based or
real-time play.
Two new UDF's are available: a Trek-like space, and a
world consisting of
medieval unit types.
There are many new maps available.
You can play with or against any combination of up to
four computer forces
as opponents or as allies.
We have greatly expanded the map building capabilities.
There is now a World building wizard for more
convenient UDF creation,
The world building (UDF) capabilities have also been
greatly expanded.
There are new operators to allow you to automatically
follow and attack an
enemy.
You now have the ability to set patrol routes for your
units.
There are many more unit operators to make tasks easier.
There are many more unit types in the default World War
II world.
You have the ability to create lists which summarize units
into cells, cells
into water and land masses, water and land masses into a
map summary, and
the ability to do the reverse by obtaining details from these
summaries.
You have the option to set up your initial FORCES AT
START OF PLAY FOR some
developed MAPS.
You have the ability to define and use terrain. terrain can
affect unit
attacks and movement.
You can now obtain much more information about maps
and units.
There is now A console mode to create lists for those
who prefer to type
text commands rather than typing several single keystroke
commands.
There are now keystroke commands to jump to recent
enemy actions.
You can now press Enter to  set focus to the location of a
stated enemy
action while reviewing history.
 and there is much more.
We will be also releasing a new on-line ordering and key
replacement system
in the next few days. At that point we will discuss how
you can obtain a
free upgrade to version 2.0, or how you can go about
ordering the game.
The multi-player version of Time of Conflict will be
available for testing
by all users who have ordered version 2. It appears to be
relatively bug
free, but some of the beta testers felt that it needed to be
opened up to
larger numbers of users before it can be determined how
well it works.
Many new changes will be introduced over the next little
while, and so I
would appreciate it if people let me know of any
problems or typos.  Unless
it is major, a private message to
[email protected]
would be the best way
to report on these problems.
Regards,
David Greenwood
[email protected]

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-11 14:55:30

This looks like a ton of fun. Will try it today. I'm glad David wanted to improve the game. From what i understand, the game wasn't received all that well. Let's hope this will change people's oppinions now.

2014-04-11 15:02:16

Hi,
I will try this out.
On a related note, could you please let us know when the new ordering system is up?

2014-04-11 19:08:51

Hi Folks,
David sent this message about the announcement of TOC today:
Hi all,

For those who have previously purchased Time of Conflict 1.0, for the next little while the upgrade to version 2.0 is free.

Perform the following:
1. Download and install the new version from http://www.GMAGames.com/toc20008.exe
2. Run Time of Conflict 2.0, and from the main menu select "My Account".
3. If you do not have your password, which should include most people, select "Forgot your password" and follow the instructions.
4. Return to "My Account" and login with your email and newly acquired password.
5. Click on "Buy New Game" and on the new page, check the line which says something like "Time of Conflict 2.0 (upgrade) $9.95".
6. In the comment field enter the words "Free Upgrade" and submit the order.
7. On the next page, confirm the order, but ignore the instructions to pay.
8. Wait for your product registration email.

Beta testers of Time of Conflict have already received their key and so for them, this process is unnecessary.

For people who would like to purchase the game, and who never purchased version 1.0, the instructions are almost the  same:
1. Download and install the new version from http://www.GMAGames.com/toc20008.exe
2. Run Time of Conflict 2.0, and from the main menu select "My Account".
3. If you do not have your password, which should include most people, select "Forgot your password" and follow the instructions. Otherwise, if you have not requested a key replacement for some other GMA Games product since November 1, 2013, go ahead and create an account.  All we need is your email, name, phone number, and a new password.
4. Return to "My Account" and login with your email and newly acquired password.
5. Click on "Buy New Game" and on the new page, check the line which says something like "Time of Conflict 2.0  $35".
6. Leave the comment field blank, unless you need to give us any special ordering instructions, and submit the order.
7. On the next page, click on the payment link, and when finished, confirm the order.
8. Wait for your product registration email.

Some time today, I will start up the multi-user server for testing and comment. This can be used by anyone with a Time of Conflict 2.0 license. Note that there is no guarantee of service for multi-user play; consider it a beta test.

Regards,
David Greenwood
[email protected]
http://www.GMAGames.com

2014-04-12 08:22:29

Hi all. Trying to play this game, but am getting an error about it not being able to initialize direct sound. Also, it say my game version is out of date. What? lol

Discord: clemchowder633

2014-04-12 16:05:07

Hy all!
I has been waiting for this version since 2010, but now, when I try to execute the game i have a big problem, DAM!
It gives to me this:
Time of Conflict
Run-time error '429':
ActiveX component can't create object
And then the game crash.

I tryd reinstaling few times, redownloading, and always the problem is the same.
Looking in  google it appears some libraries are not registered, or some kind of problem with visual basic
ore some dll files.
But I'm not programmer, and I dont find the way to repair the problem.
Can someone help me? I'm ansious for playing!
Thanks alot comunity!
Best regards.

2014-04-12 22:24:26

I participated in the early beta testing for this upgrade.  I can say without hesitation that for the gamer interested in strategic simulation, this game is a must.  The capabilities of the map and unit creation tools allow for scenarios as different as a World War II strategic campaign, a squad-level tactical action, a Wooden Ships and Iron Men battle from the Age of Sail, a Star Fleet Battles game and, something I've been working on a Middle-Earth series.  I have not tested the multi-player features as of yet, since my interest is more in simulation design, but I know they have been given a very thorough going over by dedicated testers.

This update is four plus years in the making.  I am entitled to a free copy as a tester, but will be purchasing a full license as a token of respect for David Greenwood.  I urge anyone in my situation who can do this to break down and spend the $35, a small price for a game with infinite replayability.

For those who have not played the game, fair warning, this game is not for the casual gamer.  It requires practice, and rewards time spent, but will at first be bewildering in complexity.  It is well worth it in the end.

2014-04-13 00:07:26

Agreed completely. I can't wait to see some of the custom maps some people come up with.

2014-04-13 05:20:18

Hm, how does the map creation capabilities compare to tactical battle?

2014-04-13 08:11:38

I can't wait to try this one myself, and Violinist, simulations in stratogy would be fantastic and just the saort  of thing I've personaly been waiting for.

I myself enjoyed the original Toc and have been waiting for this  for just as long.

As regards getting to grips with things, well one thing I wil say that impressed me about the original game was the context sensative map view. It's the first time I've seen a game where actually my lack of spacial coordination isn't a problem, sinse it's always possible to find closest objects, get distance reports etc, so you don't have to tangle with the actual spacial comprehention of the map too much.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2014-04-13 11:32:19

Also getting the following error:
Unable to initialize DirectSound - sound card may not be present
Anyone has any ideas?

2014-04-13 15:58:21

Durk,
If you are having problems with a VB6 game it could be you may need to install,
Jim Kitchen's winkit.zip file
as it installs some files that VB6 games need and do not ship with Vista such as ASYCFILT.DLL, COMCAT.DLL, dx8vb.dll, MSVBVM60.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL, OLEPRO32.DLL, SAPI.DLL, ST6UNST.EXE, STDOLE2.TLB, VB6STKIT.DLL     

Jims winkit.zip file can be found on his free windows sapi5 text to speech games page.
http://www.kitchensinc.net/

2014-04-13 18:03:06

Thanks Phil.
I recently installed windkit.zip, but the problem with time of conflict continues.
In my foulder Program Files i have a folder called kitchensinc, but in side that there is not the files you mention, and i cant found they nowhere in my PC.
Where they must be? I have to put the files in my Time of conflict progra files folder?
This problem is anoying!
Thanks alot for your help man!

2014-04-13 21:20:58

Dirk, when you install Winkit it puts the VB 6 runtime libraries where they go. Depending on what flavor of Windows you have the libraries can be in one of two places. On 32-bit Windows the files should be in c:\Windows\System32. On 664-bit Windows I believe they go in c:\Windows\Syswow64 or something like that. In either case you should not put them in the same folder as your game because they are system files and belong with the rest of your Windows libraries.

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2014-04-13 23:52:16

Thanks all!
Finally I had fixed the problem. I'm not
sure exactly what I did, I installed the libraries but there was another problem with the sapi voices in my system, and I repaired that problem too, so I'm not sure exactly about the finally solution.
Now the game is running, I hope see you fightin online!
Regards!

2014-04-14 12:45:22

Message from David:
Hi all,

Firstly, Several people are having problems with TOC 2.  There seems to be a problem during installation which is fixed when installing it a second time.  There are a few who still have problems on the second install as well, but these are in the minority. We are working on both of these problems now.

It appears that a few people who have a license to TOC 1.0 do not have an account setup so that they can take advantage of the upgrade. They fall into two camps:
1. They purchase TOC 1.0 with an email they no longer have access to,
2. we did not have the email on file and so the account  was not created.

In either case, create a new account, and if you are sure you have purchased a license to TOC v1.0, and you would like to take advantage of the free upgrade, select the game for $35 and put "free upgrade" in the comment field.  We have a list of all purchased licenses, and so we should be able to easily verify your request.

For people purchasing a game for the first time, create an account, or use an account which was previously created, and place your order as previously discussed in an email of a couple days ago.

Regards,
David Greenwood
[email protected]
http://www.GMAGames.com

2014-04-14 17:22:37

Hi.
Wow this is great news. I remember myself trying to get used to the game long time ago when the first version was released. I found the game very confusing, but I'll give it an other try again for sure. Now I don't remember: What limitations does the demo version have? It would suck if it expires a few hours after I've got used to the game. smile
Now, you can both use turn based mode and realtime mode. That sounds confusing. Can you then in multiplayer mode go crazy in realtime mode while your enemy is doing stuff in the turn based mode? Sounds pretty unfair. I'll see if I can get the game up and running tonight and give it a serious try, because it sounds really cool.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2014-04-15 10:27:39

Hi all! Great update, really, in my opinion! Just a quick small problem: when I set the options for using SAPI instead of NVDA, every time I restart the game, it starts with NVDA. Do anibody have the same problem? How to solve it? I just tried to delete the config file but nothing changed! Thanks a lot! Bye for now! Claudio!

Claudio

2014-04-15 11:02:56

After a couple of hours I was able to get used to the game, but was rather addicted to the last one as a stress reliever and  a quick break from studying so it may be easier for me to get used to the keystrokes and such. One of the most useful keys for me is f3 as it lets you do a search for what you are looking for, so I would name enemy citties and use that to find them in order to send my troups that way. But a problem is that the AI seems to be bad at occupying cities, especially in the medieval version. Each one tends to generally only have one or two that I can find, while I have 10 or more. Otherwise things are pretty smooth, I just hope someone decides to come online sometime for a game or two.

2014-04-15 15:39:46

So, I'm working myself through the help file for the game, and all the information seems pretty overwhelming. After I've read through the help file, I'll start in the practice map and hopefully things will start to make sence. I will not give up this time. If I can get used to Sound RTS, I can also get used to Time of conflict. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2014-04-15 22:35:12

Hi.
So, I got tired of reading the manual, and de sighted to start the game and give it a try.
As soon as I started a new game, I got stuck, like I didn't know what to do. I was just very confused, and didn't seemed to have any choices. This is one of the very few times I have tried this, giving up on reading the manual and then get stuck when playing a game.
So, I went to the GMAGames website and downloaded the first tutorial, made by David Greenwood. This guy is amazing! I listened through the first tutorial, and was amazed on how easy he explains and shows how it works. I was really motivated to give the game a try again, so I created a new game, and chose the small practice map instead.
I have just completed my very first game a few minutes ago, and I enjoy the game. It took me a lot of time to figure out how to winn the game, and I feel so stupid for having spent that much time on such an easy tasc, which is take over the enemy town! I tried lots of combinations like shooting at the city, but nothing worked. I then keep failed when sending people to the city to overtake it. It was like nothing happened. I then realized all the people ran out of movements before they reached the city, and I could have kicked myself. smile So I changed the production in the nearest city and sended a guy to the enemy city, and wann the game as easy so I got pretty much surprised! smile Yeah, well, we all learn each day, but I still feel pretty stupid. Lol.
I'm so glad I finally have got used to the game, and I can't wait to play it some more after having taking a brake from it.
What are the limits in the demo version? Where comes the realtime in the game? I haven't looked at the multiplayer stuff yet because I would get used to the game first.

Best regards SLJ.

2014-04-16 14:16:23

David just posted a temp fix for "sound device not found" errors, but thanks to Rylan Vroom for letting me know a fix that gets talk working on all computers that I have had test it so far. It even worked for Windows 8.1 installations.  I know it makes no sense, but simply run and then exit GMA Tank Commander.  Time of Conflict should work thereafter. You could probably replace Tank Commander with Shades of Doom, but I haven't tried this yet. This is a temporary fix.  I am working on getting this fixed before I roll it out the the GMA web site.

2014-04-16 17:15:54 (edited by claudiogaranzini 2014-04-16 20:36:57)

Hi all! How about solving the screen reader problem? Why when i chose to use sapi and then restart the game, it returns using Nvda? I was also thinking of creating a type Risk-game  Map. Could it be possible using just armours or tanks like the table game? In my idea: you use only your tanks against other tanks and these units can enter and conquere the cities. Can it be done with this new version of the game? What are our opinions? Thanks a lot! Bye for now!

Claudio

2014-05-25 04:57:20

Wow. I must say I really like this game alot. The thing that intrigues me about this game is the customization of soundpacks that you can use with any custom map if you want. So you can make whatever fantacy map you feel like. That's awesome. I will certainly be buying this game soon and requesting a product key fro both my desktop and latop as well.

Sincerely:
John Follis
Check out my YouTube Channel.

2014-05-26 09:23:28

Hi.
Yeah this game sounds really awesome. Are many people playing online?

Best regards SLJ.