2007-11-15 10:34:26 (edited by Narada 2007-11-15 10:35:31)

Heey I am Narada Bregonje From holland.. for school we must make a assigment About games..
They ask me to to it about audio.. So can some pls answer my questions..??

1. How important is audio in a game?
2.    Why is audio so important in a game?
  3.    Why do you use audio in a video game?
  4.    Do you have different types of audio files?
  5.    Are there different categories of audio?
  6.    Do you make the audio files all by yourself?
  7.    What do you need to know before you make an audio file?
  8.    Which programs do you use?
  9.    What do you think is the best program for making audio files?
10.    How do you put the audio in the game?
11.    What is the best input?
12.    What do you do first? Recording the audio or making the video game?
13.    How long does it take before an audio file is ready for use?
14.    How does audio cooperate with the video game?
15.            Has the audio quality improved towards the last few years?
16.    Do you think that a lot of people still play games if there

2007-11-15 10:49:59 (edited by cx2 2007-11-15 10:53:43)

As someone who played video games prior to my sight loss I can answer 19. Others may be more suitable to answer other questions than myself.

In a video game audio can be an important part of the game, both providing extra immersion and giving additional feedback. Audio can cover 360 degrees which is hard to do in video without a "radar display" type thing, which is often not appropriate to the game in question. It can also grab your attention more than visual signals, and helps you keep concentration on what you're doing without losing information you need (e.g. Mechwarrior 2's heat warnings).

In audio games for the blind the sound replaces the video, which makes for a different format. It is far more important to limit how much information is thrown out through the primary means of output, as opposed to a visual display which you can set up into different segments. Audio doesn't have this so when video output is not used you must output essential information in as brief a way as you can, whilst providing easy access (usually through hotkeys) to any other information which may be important or of use. It is not practical to use different parts of the sound output for different purposes so far, unlike video games which may have various indicators positioned around the screen in different areas.

The audio in a purely audio game usually includes such things as navigation information, sometimes in the form of a "sonar" such as in Terraformers and Audio Quake, or sometimes in the form of perhaps echoes when you're walking close to a wall as in Shades of Doom. Others yet with less restrictive environments such as outdoors have no such information in audio and output it through synthetic speech. This is for games from a first person perspective naturally, strategy games tend to feature speech more heavily whereas first person games almost all use 3D sound to help locate enemies. Video games may use 3D sound, but the enemies in audio games tend to make more noise and are often meant to be fairly easily recognisable by the sound they make.

I mentioned speech, that is important. Audio games often seem to use either prerecorded human speech, prerecorded synthesised speech, or increasingly common recently the use of synthetic speech directly through systems like Microsoft's SAPI speech API system (if you have Win XP or later you have SAPI 5 already installed).

Hope this is of some use.

edit:
Oh, some first person audio games have a "blip" type sound to indicate when you're aim is about right to hit a target (Tank Commander for example), this being roughly comparable to some video games which included a part of the display which lit up when you were aiming at the right spot to hit your intended target (e.g. the X-Wing series of space combat games).

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-16 03:49:40

Firstly I'll point out that to my knowledge direct input has always been in DirectX.

Secondly com[pared to a lot of mainstream games audio games are far simpler and there is much more potential to explore than has been tapped. This has been covered several times on here though, the result usually being that the people making audio games whilst they term themselves "companies" (and quite deserve that title in a lot of cases) are only one or two people at best. There just aren't the resources, combined with the fact they are only semi professional at most - they can't make a living from audio games, though it would be worth a mainstream company making a game accessible because of the huge publicity and so on along with the relatively small effort required from people who do it for a living.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-11-16 05:10:46

Well, there are hobbyists as well as companies. I would consider RS Games and ACEGames hobbiests, while I see BSCGames as a real company as well as LWorks, Draconis, USAGames etc.

2007-11-16 06:44:52 (edited by cx2 2007-11-16 06:45:58)

They are perhaps halfway between companies and hobbyists, since as I stated they don't make a living from it. In any case the distinction is academic.

What I was trying to express in a way is audio game manufacturers are part of a community, whereas mainstream companies such as lets say Blizzard or Westwood are part of an industry.

cx2
-----

2007-11-16 14:17:15

it is very true indeed that most if not all audio game makers are hobbiists, for one very simple reason. There are millions and millions of people who play mainstream games, an i don't know how many blind gamers out there, so the lack hereof really means that most adio game makers are rather limited, seeing as so few of blind people we have that actively play a lot of games do come across this. That's why i like this forum, to provide news on ags.
I agree with Ryan that you are a bit confused on audio games. audio games are games with no pictures at al. I've never played video games before so i don't know how to explain that... but, about do you make the sounds all by yourself, partially yes. most of the sounds are from sound libraries but there are some excellent home made sounds too.

2007-11-16 17:09:44

Hmmmm, interesting topic. Personally, I'd compare the audio game creators to a lot of small software groups making freeware or at the least shareware game titles as part of the independent games movement, ----- which often gets tied up with retro remakes as well.

to describe an audio game though, well as has been said, the first thing to considder is that the game is all motivated by sound, and usually first person. Sterrio is heavily used (usually playing audio games on headphones is a necessity), and it's generally therefore much easier to represent what is to the left or right of the player, ----- often in 3D as Cx2 said, or in 2D, than it is to represent objects vertically.

As Cx2 said, the spacial amount of information that can be shown in sound is far smaller than that which is possible with graphics, given that in sound you have a much smaller amount of spacial information that you can give.

Take for example space invaders.

In audio space invaders games, it is only possible to show the position of the enemy's relative to your ship, and to only have a few enemies attacking at once, rather than having long rows of invaders in formation, all on screen at the same time as in the classic game.

so where as in classic space invaders there are many details which are not related to the action, ----- the invaders at the top of the enemy formation,the ground to either side, the bullits being fired by invaders on the opposite side of the screen to your ship, in audio, sinse the level of detail that can be represented is less, more has to be done.

for one thing, there has to be a hot key to speak number of lives.

sinse all action is 1st person, you never see the ground, and each invader is represented by it's sterrio position with you centering it to fire, and it's distance from landing being represented either by increasing volume, or descending pitch. Often other details are necessary as well such as a "preparing to fire" sound for the invaders, rather than just having them open up on you (often in audio games, invaders fire less than in classic space invaders games as well).

Another factor in audio games, ---- particularly stratogy or exploration games, is memory.

in mainstream games, levels have to be truly huge (as in Metroid), for you to really stand a chance of getting lost, however in audio games, even something like a packman maze is necessary to learn. Combine this with the more immersive audio, and you have something both atmospheric and challenging when done well, ---- I've often found audio versions of classic games more fun than the graphical ones, simply because of the greater atmosphere and exploration involved.

Probably your best way to research is to just try some games out. Here on pcs games there's a list of all audio game developers.

As ryan said, the major devs usually offer shareware games, but all have demos which you can download and try. There are also lots of free games available as well. I'd particularly recommend gma games as a good starting point. they have an audio version of doom, audio submarine and tank sim games, and an audio version of solitare, as well as audio packman in cooperation with Pcs games. you can find links to them on the Pcs games site (I'm too lazy to post their link here, buahaha).

there are loads of audio space invaders games of various sorts, but probably the closest to the original, ---- and one that will let you muck about with graphics, audio and other settings is Accessible invaders

their site also contains a lot of helpful information about accessible games in general, ---- both audio games, and games for the hereing, or motor impared, and how to make mainstream games more accessible, ------ should get you some good marks from your teacher, lol!

Hth, and I hope you'll try some audio games out.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-11-16 19:56:09

Well Narada, as you see, audio in games is important. In particular, you might try Solaris Prime download I have. You can modify all the wave files with voice over into Dutch or German as I think German is a native language there and the game will be in Dutch. It is a simple purely audio game. That may get you an "A" from your teacher smile. The game is released as Creative Commons with commercial rights reserved. So for class room and school use this is fine. It is a small game so the under taking would not be to difficult as you are not writing code, you are just changing the wave files so that the phrases are in Dutch.

Yo

2007-11-17 02:53:59

Sorry guys ... shameless plug ... I couldn't resist. tongue Traffic is down sad nothing yet to keep you coming back. But I'm working on it! tongue

Yo

2007-11-20 03:36:00

Narada,

1. How important is audio in a game?
2.    Why is audio so important in a game?
3.    Why do you use audio in a video game?

Unless a person is deaf, audio is very important in a game.
Background music sets the mood.
Incidental sounds give clues as to what is going on and where you are.
Speech tells the story and provides the feeling of really being in the game.

The other developers and gamers here have described how audio is important for gamers who are blind or have low vision.

4.    Do you have different types of audio files?
  5.    Are there different categories of audio?

Yes.
WAV files are large analog files that often are used for speech or incidental sounds.
MIDI files are much smaller digital files that often are used for music.
There are other formats, too.

6.    Do you make the audio files all by yourself?

Sometimes we make them. Sometimes we buy them.

7.    What do you need to know before you make an audio file?

You need to know the differences among the audio file formats, which formats are larger, which work best for different kinds of sounds. You need to know what tools are available and how to use them.

8.    Which programs do you use?
  9.    What do you think is the best program for making audio files?

At 7-128 Software we use Goldwave, SoundForge, and Finale.

10.    How do you put the audio in the game?

We use the Java programming language. It has pieces of code (called Application Programming Interfaces) that play audio files. Many of the other developers here use DirectX, which works with Basic, C++ and other languages in Windows.  Basically, you just write a line of code that says "play file X". You might say "play louder" or "make that voice sound like a girl"

11.    What is the best input?

What is best depends on all of the above.
Sometimes Marcia, our audio guru, who's a professional musician (and former rock and roll singer) composes music using Finale. This goes into a MIDI file. Sometimes she and I mix WAV files in Goldwave. For the video sound, we use a video camera with a mike, convert and edit the files using iMovie on a Mac and / or QuickTime Pro on a Windows PC and voila! The sound is in an MOV formatted video file. We also can have Cyndi, our professional actor, speak into a mike and record her dialog into a WAV file.

12.    What do you do first? Recording the audio or making the video game?

We do both at the same time. But we create all of our content: text, audio, video, and graphics at the same time as we are coding our games.

13.    How long does it take before an audio file is ready for use?

That depends on what's for dinner. If it's a big dinner, I fall asleep afterwards and it takes an extra day to do the audio. Seriously, it varies from an hour to several hours per file, depending on the above.

14.    How does audio cooperate with the video game?

Again, the audio adds to the game experience. It emphasizes the things we want emphasized.
Our playtesters who are blind demand "ear candy" the same as sighted folks demand "eye candy"
The idea is to make a game entertaining. Audio can provide interesting sounds, clues, and emphasis.

15.            Has the audio quality improved towards the last few years?

Yes it has. There are better tools. Computers can hold bigger files. CPUs can push sound faster.

16.    Do you think that a lot of people still play games if there

2007-11-20 08:38:46

A few points.

For audio formats there are also MP3 and I believe OGG or something to that effect. Midi is only useful for very basic low quality music, not really recommended.

Also system requirements for audio aren't generally so big as for graphics, meaning pure audio games have a far lower memory and CPU drain than say games which use 3D graphics. However more audio games are made in systems like VB which in the past have been a little less efficient, but still manage to have far reduced requirements.

As to soundcards, ideally a card with surround capability and comparable speakers. People often buy fancy sound cards and forget to upgrade their speakers in the mainstream, or vice versa.

cx2
-----