2013-12-24 09:56:56

Hi.
I have a big collection of harry potter fan fiction.
I was wondering if there was a way I can get rid of dashes and things, so instead of renaming one at a time, I could rename them all at once and remove funny chars like, right tic and dashes and things like that.

I'm gone for real :)

2013-12-24 11:08:48

Could you give an example of one of the file names you'd want to change?  Then show how you would want it to be after renaming.  Listing all of the "funny characters" you'd want to remove would also be good.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2013-12-24 11:54:10

Ahh.
Sorry.
for example: 07_harry potter and the deathly hallows (rewritten).txt
Instead would be. 07 harry potter and the deathly hallows rewritten.txt

Do you see?

Or sometimes it will have three dots in the beginning of a file.
I can deal with the ( and ) and _ myself, but I have over 1000 txt files and changing one at a time is hard and annoying.
Also, if I wanted to give the folder to someone through dropbox for example; it wouldn't let me zip it because of the odd characters.

2013-12-24 12:36:44

Brad, see if this works for you.
www.kaldobsky.com/audiogames/filerenamer.zip
Just put the EXE into the folder with the files you wish to rename, and press enter.  If your files are spread out too much into a ton of folders then let me know and I can work out something to help.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2013-12-24 13:17:15

Hi.
Aprone? You rule man!
This is great, hmm any chanse you could make it so we could put in say( and all the ('s were removed from that folder file list thing?
This is really good, thanks so much for helping me.

2013-12-24 13:20:05

I'm not sure I completely understand.
Do you mean have it ask you for a character, and then have it only rename that part of the file name?  Right now it is set to change underscores to spaces, and to delete any braces or brackets.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2013-12-24 13:51:04

Hi.
Yes. So you have an edit box, and type in for example left bracket, and press enter and it will remove all left brackets from those files.
Or, maybe a list box would be easier, you could have a remove all underlines left brackets and right brackets, as one option. go down one in the list and it might say remove left and right brackets. So it would do that once you tabbed over to the edit box and typed 2 for the program to remove all of that character.

Oh this could be another option, and I hope I make sense with it.

You could have a separate file, and within that file you would put the characters you want the program to remove... Hmm but that could be fiddly since you don't always know what characters there will be in files.

For example: If you bye a track from amazon, sometimes you get odd characters, unforchinetly I can't show you since I don't have any.

I hope this makes sense, if not sorry.

By the way, this is a great program, I think you should put it up on your site as a free download.

I think a lot of blind people would use this.
and i hope others can make suggestions to add to this.
Hmm maybe I've started something good here, who knows.