2007-10-02 00:37:14

Hi,

I'm curious to know.  What's everyone's favorite mud and why?

Also, I don't want things like:

My favorite mud is alter aeon caus theres lots of stuff you can do.

I want something like:

My favorite mud is Awakened worlds.  The vehicles, guns, and other such things, implants and magic, help the game.  With it's interesting mix of midevil and fantacy, this game is bla bla bla. 

I am looking for a new mud, and need a break from Miriani.  This is why I pose the question.  also for curiosity's sake.

2007-10-02 05:04:39

Right now, anything other than Awakened Worlds. The admin has completely wrecked the economy and the mobs are too powerful - killing an armoured security van or drone in one punch in one case, it just doesn't feel like Shadowrun which it was based on.

As much as I've loved muds I haven't been feeling very inspired by them lately. They're either too much focussed on RP or they have little valuable RP and are filled with twinks. Nothing has that blend of action and roleplay for me right now, always too much of one over the other.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-02 05:07:39

You make a valid point there.  I was wondering if it was just me that was having this issue.  I also agree with you on the AW problm.  I played a while ago and the admin just screwed it as you stated.

2007-10-02 06:58:32

Glad it's not just me smile

Guess with Awake there was an inherent problem converting a pen and paper system, which was never designed to be balanced on the basis that pen and paper has little PK combat and the GM can set the game difficulty to suit the group. It seemed to do fine for a while though and was interesting enough, but now you need to just flat out grind. You can either RP or progress but not really do both.

And other games are either low or in some cases zero RP, or so much RP it limits you because you can't do anything in the end.

As to Alter Aeon, it makes a good enough training mud but I wouldn't say much beyond that.

It is a great shame. I would personally love a mud with sci fi at least being a part, with some roleplay and things being balanced but being able to do stuff... only with perhaps more life than Miriani which does seem a little blah right now.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-10-02 07:59:07

I have not found a mud with the wright blend of rp and action in over five years.
I am into si fie muds, and most the muds I look at either focus too much on rp or have no players.
I enjoy rp and want it to be a part of the mud I am working on, with said I will come up with a long list of rules rp imms must follow.
If you give them an inch they take a mile.

2007-10-02 17:25:11

It's true.

I've gotten over the fact that RP can't be a high aspect on my list. If I could find a mud with a good balence of stuff to do, I'd go for it too.

I like dark Legacy, r, well, I played until I realised their crafting system was inaccessible for the most part.

Also, let's keep continuing

I'd like to see some things like:

Good crafting system, accessible, easy to learn, possible to do
Drops that are good, but if you chose to, crafted eq is the best.
good combat system.
areas are easy to acess, unlike AA
people are helpful and are willing to help you, if you can't find it, give you a hand either with directions or assistance to the areas you need to level unless it's completely obvious. One thing I hate, especially about A A.  I want to find some eq for my character.  Donation rooms are empty, and all the stuff I find sucks.  I ask someone and I get "Well Explore."
This is all fine and dandy with the exception of, there are over 1000 rooms, and 990 of them have the same description.  It's hard to explore when i feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

New Moon, doesn't ahve this exploring problem cause it's a good sised world and all the descriptions are helpful.

Those are my thoughs, again,

Malloc

2007-10-02 18:29:41

my favourite mud is called project bob though i have not played it in a long time.
It has plot to it, and you can rp if you wish. it has the balance you all want, some rp, some action, crafting can be done though i have not really investigated in it yet, and there's plot as i say.
You can undertake quests and missions. once you really get going you can have some really intence quests and battles. you can join npc created guilds, well created isn't the word, once you have done enough quests. i am in 2 guilds, the ironfist and another one. the ironfist has more missions but the other one doesn't have any yet. but it's brillient, it's quest after quest after quest if you know who to go to. it's so great. and there's a thing called "episodes". these are really hard missions, monsters can attack you quite hard. and they have upto episode x.9,where x is a number. episode 1 i have now completed episode 1 well what there is of it anyway. episode 2 i just can't do. episode 3 is great there are just loads of them at once -- episode 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, and more. and then there's loads more. each sub-episode within an episode is related to the main story. it's great. but there is not, however, a main game story, but there is plot in places. quests and missions are just reallky fun. descriptions are great.
and i might as well stop now i don't know how much more i can fit on.
the web address is i think www.project-bob.org, or just projectbob.org, i can't be sure. but it is brillient. my name on there is jukesy so if you see me don't hesitate to say hello. i'm not doing any rp i am rubbish at that sort of stuff.
see you all around, in the world of fantasy!
regards,
aaron

2007-10-02 18:30:26 (edited by Mike 2007-10-02 18:31:59)

Hi,
I used to really be into Godwars II, but it got boring, all you can do is kill mobs and get primal to raise powers and age. But the real reason I rarely play anymore is because of the new nexus. The nexus is the world where all the mobs are, and the admin put a new one in, that's extremely huge and the areas have to be discovered which makes it virtually impossible for a blind person to do without someone else giving you the locations of the areas.

I was also into Hell Moo, and probably still would if I have'nt been banned for basically no reason, but I won't go there.

I'm now just working on moo programming to try and make a mud with my friend Alex.

Oh yeah and I've tried Miriani but that got boring really fast. I'm really not into RP anyway, I like muds where you can just chat whatever you like and not have to pretend to be a character if you don't want to.

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-10-02 20:14:25

Hi,

Project bob is indeed the best Rom mud I've ever played!  I like it for all of those same reasons.  I also haven't played there in a long while

Malloc

2007-10-02 21:37:03 (edited by cx2 2007-10-02 21:38:04)

Bear in mind regarding RP, it is not so much an issue of "how" you ask questions than where. You can ask "Where can I buy..." both in and out of character, the reasoning for asking you to seperate IC and OOC is to allow people who wish to RP the chance to do so without weirdness.

Hearing someone discuss Halo 3 on the in game radio in Awake for example is wrong on so many levels, and you can't really ask people to do this one way and not the other.

So you don't really have to act like a character, just ask the same question on the right channel.

Too many people complain when it is so simple to respect the boundary without roleplaying.

cx2
-----

2007-10-02 22:28:24

Hello all,
If you're looking for the best mud, i say avalon.
And you ask why?
Well. It's hard to explain. Brilliant, wonderful, really awesome descriptions, custom codebase, (nothing like cast fireball joe, your fireball smashes joe), lots of rp, dozens of guilds to choose from (brigands, mystics, druid, knight, alchemist, mage, enchanter, etc.), a very good skill system (you train a skill group and you get new abilities, e.g. you train survival and you get swim at practitioneer, etc.), lots of aflictions and lots of herbs to cure them (you have to either pick megillos or ask a druid to do it for you, or buy it, then put it in a pipe, light it near a fire, then smoke it, and it will cure migraine, or ingest another one to cure plague).
There is so much to say, and so much to discover, this is not a mud, this is a world. If you want to sit near a fire and rp with others, do it. A bard will may arrive, riding a pony, and may play something on his flute for all of you to enjoy. Want to go and kill someone? Right. Get your longsword, which is runed by an alchemist to prevent others from taking it, rub some poison on it (there are thousands of poisons, all having thousands of effects), mount your warhorse, and bash your enemies. Of course, it has manual combat, so no "kill goblin, and wait until either you or the goblin dies.". You are in trouble? Someone poisoned you during the fight? Call your druid friend who will flow through the forest to you and, touching your forehead, will diagnose you. Then, using her healing skills, will heal your aflictions. Then, she will command the forest to hold your enemy, and the forest will move the available wines and branches, and your enemy won't be able to move. Then, calling your alchemist friend, you will fly up to the clouds, watching the players from above, then landing on a safe place.
This is avalon. I've been looking for the true mud for almost 7 years. This is the one, as i said, it's not a mud, but a world with true battles against cities, alies, the ability to recruit troops for your city, and if you are a general, command them in formations against the evil, or good. Everything can happen.
The only drawback of the game is that you will have to pay (12 dollars for a month), which really worths it for a game like that. However, if you are a pretty good player, and you get a god as your patron, you can play for free.
There are two versions of it, one with full of players, and it's a bit better than the second one, however you can't play the first one for free, even if you have a god's favor. However, you won't miss that much, except for a few skills and players of course.
I'm giving the second version's link here, avalon - first age, if someone needs the first one (legends), let me know and i'll post it as well.
http://www.firstage.net
I hope i'll see you soon, at least for the 30 days of trial period which you get if you join.
Erion, Alchemist of Mercinae

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2007-10-03 03:18:15

Oh my god.  *is going to try*

Thanks.

2007-10-03 04:20:44 (edited by cx2 2007-10-03 04:21:02)

While I appreciate the suggestion I won't try myself, I don't believe in paying to play a mud. There is something that just doesn't sit right with that for me.

cx2
-----

2007-10-03 18:52:20

Not only that but I've got to send money outside of the country, so, that's done with.

2007-10-03 19:03:42

If you are going to pay to play something might as well wait for the Blind Adrenaline MMO, though I admit I've got my reservations about that too.

cx2
-----

2007-10-03 23:30:13

Sure.  Knowing how Che did rale racer, I'm sure it'll be completely worth it, just like R R was.

2007-10-04 00:06:10

RR was worth buying, however I'm not quite so certain in terms of a subscription based game. I'll reserve final judgement until it's released though.

cx2
-----

2007-10-07 13:16:14

Hi.

Does anyone know a L.O.R.D (Legend of the red dragon) based or similar mud? For some years ago, when FreedomChat existed, I played LORD there very often... But FreedomChat has gone.
I tried nuklear's LORD server (lord.nuklear,org) but I hate its interface. It has a lot of ascii graphics, so its quite annoying to listen the "

2007-10-07 17:12:21

That's one codebase I've not heard of I'm afraid, most seem to use either Smog or Circle mud.

cx2
-----