2011-04-23 03:55:17

Okay, I'm just trying this now to see how it works, play some games and review it to create a game page on the database.

To save me reading through about 30 pages of forum topics (I admit, I'm lazy), I was wondering if someone could answer some questions.

first, are there any instructions listig keyboard short cuts etc, not to mention how to play Scopa and 1000 miles sinse I've not tried them before.

Next, as regardes this screen reader detection business. things seemed relatively streight forward as far as list boxes go when using hal, but I was having more issues when a table was created, though I'm uncertain whether that was lack of support my lack of knolidge of  program keys.

What screen readers does the program support? will it work with sapi? and how do you choose this?

appologies for the questions, as I said I'm doing database updates at the moment and trying los of things out in order to review them correctly, but sinse I cannot find any English instructions on the site I need to ask here, ---- possibly when i know what's going on I could write useful info on the quentin C playroom database page to help people with future  confusion.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-23 04:26:18

if you need help on any game (except for chess beta), press control-f1 from within the game. Here's a general key summary in any table

f1: quick key summary for any game
f2 chat
f3 turn spectator mode on/off. When on, you will just watch the game
f5: turn background music down
F6: turn it up
f7: turn the sounds down
f8: turn them up
f11: list resynchronization (if you think there's something wrong in your list, press this and the list will (probably) fix itself)
f12: export game transcript
q: leave table
control-t: check game or round duration

For game masters:
Control-k: kick players from the table
Control-h hide the table from the public (use this once all the players you want have joined)
Control-s: save the table. All the players will have to be logged in to reload the table.
B: add bot
Shift-b: remove bot

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-04-23 07:36:37

Hello.
and in most of the tables,s to check the scores,t for the turns. How to play one thousand miles instructions and lascoper I know I have spelled that one wrong... can be found as keyisful said by ctrl plus f1.
It supports system access,I think so, NVDA I know it does,Jaws. don't know about window eyes.

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2011-04-23 10:46:41

press ctrl+f6 to switch sapi while your screen reader tearnd off.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-04-24 12:19:55

I have friends who have used the playroom and it works with WE, JFW and SAPI5
The french webpage was sort of annoying since I dont know French! They should have an English site too. is there a way to suggest that to them?
Athena

2011-04-24 18:48:08

Hi,
They have an English website.
Probably it is
an.quentinc.net

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2011-04-24 18:56:57

it's agn.quentinc.net

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2011-04-25 04:46:37

I've noticed the french section is a bit more acurate though.

skype name: techluver
Feel free to add me.

2011-04-25 07:34:26

HI,
Yes; I have seen the French and English translations and Aminiel isn't always quite accurate.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2011-04-26 04:52:26

I am working on a spanish translation, but in the meantime I fixed all the gramatical errors and sent him a new one; wonder why he didn't implement that one yet?

Feel free to add me.

2011-04-26 05:01:02 (edited by Aminiel 2011-04-26 05:04:27)

Officially, these screen readers are supported.
* JFW, version 4.02 and up
* NVDA, version 2010.2 and up. I'm still trying to fix some issues with NVDA. It works for some people but not for others, I'm still searching why but I hope it will work for everybody soon with latest 2011.1. Unable to test with 64 bit windows.
* Windows eye, but I haven't much tested
* I have recently got a DLL named saapi32.dll, I suppose it is for system access, not yet supported but I could probably add it. I didn't know that screen reader at all before.
* SAPI5 is always supported, press ctrl+F6 to turn it on if you don't have any other supported screen reader running. Press Ctrl+F7 and F8 to adjust speech rate. You must use control panel to select the voice.

English and french websites are at the same address: http://agn.quentinc.net
Unless you are french speaking or if you missconfigured your browser, you should automatically get the english page by default. Otherwise, you can change language in the menu (search for "english" with CTrl+F).

Most game instructions are now translated on the site. You can find them on the homepage or by pressing ctrl+F1 while in a table (currently some ctrl+F1 links are down (404), please excuse, it will be corrected soon).
Uno, 1000 miles, scopa, poker and jass are translated. Monopoly and battleship are not.

@harrylst: your english translation corrections are already online normally since last wednesday, unless I made a misstake. I must also send you some new strings to translate, for scopa and chess especially.

There are 10 kinds of people : those who know binary, and those who don't.

2011-04-26 05:17:50

I'm going to go crazy, if it weren't for monopoly, the translation would be done. Just send me the new strings, I'll send them back, and you can integrate them.

Feel free to add me.

2011-04-26 07:33:42

Thanks for the info people.

It stirkes me this is the sort of stuff which should go on the games' overview page to let people try it more easily.

I've been a trifle busy wit trying Airik the clerric and such, but I'll giv the playroom another go and see if I can get some games working in order to write pages for them.

Oh and Amineel, when you add  a new game to the playroom, please let me know by creating a new topic, this makes it far easier A, for me to notice, and B, to write news about it.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2011-04-26 17:35:59

I'm going to go crazy, if it weren't for monopoly, the translation would be done. Just send me the new strings, I'll send them back, and you can integrate
them.

OK!
IF everything is finished except monopoly and if you think you will need much more time for it, I could perhaps do something: open the spanish playroom, but without monopoly, for those who can't wait a complete translation, if it is really necessary to do so.
I'm conscient that the monopoly is much longer and harder to translate...

@Dark: OK, I will try to remember that, thank you very much.

2013-05-31 18:17:36 (edited by hemat 2013-11-02 14:07:39)

thank you guys for the help

auberge skoura

frtr

2013-11-03 10:04:14

thank you for this page

2013-11-03 16:05:36

Well, the sad thing is that the developers aren't interested to get the games translated to other languages than english, spanish and maybe one more language. There are some people who are whilling to translate the game into danish, but when the developers aren't interested after two serious requests, I'm not really that much motivated to play the games. It's difficult to find people in there who speaks english, and people are just popping you out, replacing you with their friends, and letting you just watch them playing. I have also been kicked out of games for no reason. I just played the game normally, the guy who hosted the games friend joined the room, and I just got kicked, after having played three rounds.
It's nice to hear that people are enjoying playing in there, but I've just had so bad experiences so I don't know if I'll log in and play again.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-11-04 01:24:55

Not true; the developer has previously stated that he is more than willing to translate properly into any language, but before he does he wishes to establish proper communication between his translators and himself.  If you can communicate with him in proper French he will more than likely accept your advance in that direction.  TYhis sort of makes sense to me in that the games he develops are his turf, his home, as it were, and he would at least like to be able to converse properly with the people he works with for the sake of progress.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2013-11-04 09:37:20

Well, I don't speak Frensh, I'm sorry.
He said that he wanted some trusted admins to moderate rooms in a new language, which is of course understandable. I asked what that would require, since I had found two serious admins, me included. I pointed him to an unanswered topic on the forum on their website, where an other guy from my country wrote he is whilling to translate the game as well, and he contacted them long time before I wrote to request the same. I pointed out that no one has answered him yet, like people had ignored him. I asked how we could work together on this project etc, so I tried to establish a good communication. So what should I then have done?
I then got a reply back that they needed a moderator for an other language which I don't remember, and that was what they needed, and that was wrote in a way like other languages are not important for this community. I didn't got any reply back on how to be trusted, how to be a moderator, how to translate or anything. I did my best to ask those questions, but they got ignored like if that was not in interest.
I don't feel like posting private mails in here, but i still have those mails in my inbox. The only public thing I can send you to show I'm telling the truth is the message on the forum:
http://www.qcsalon.net/en/forum6/topic1792

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2013-11-04 13:31:02

How about Spanish? I speak that language fluently, as well as English.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2013-11-04 20:18:47

its already translated into spanish. kind of frustrating though. some good games there, but sometimes people can be kind of rude

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2013-11-07 21:56:44

Hello all,

We aren't closed at all to accept new languages. However, translating an entire platform like the playroom is much harder than you might think.

We would like to have someone who can speak a little french because, in fact, there are lots of things to explain and get used to, and, sadly, the english level of our team isn't sufficiently high to be confident in showing all the stuff in english. Plus the fact that, since the original language of the game is french, if you translate it from english to something else, it is likely to make a kind of tunnel / chained translation effect (from french to english, and then from english to something else => we potentially lose information twice).

Please also note that, actually, spanish and italian translations are no longer made by a single person. There are a couple thousends messages to translate and without taking the website into account. So effectively, if you want to start a new translation and catch up entirely in a reasonnable delay, it will be even more important to make a collaborative effort rhater than isolated ones. We have reached a point where we must absolutely strictly organize things and also leave each separate teams organize temselves, otherwise it quickly becomes a mess.

It's sufficient if only one person in each translation team speaks french so that he/she becomes an interface between his/her team and us. If you speak french, know someone who does, if you/he/she is able to work in team, is motivated and isn't likely to leave after some weeks or months, we will certainly accept.

It was very hard to find the right people for spanish and italian, but now they do a wonderful work. For sure, it would be very nice if there were other translation teams like them.

Still, even for spanish and italian, it remains the questions of moderation. We have been constrained to block chat in the spanish home because we haven't any moderator yet. We would better avoid this experience for future languages as much as we can.

So, the door is certainly not closed, really not. Simply, we need people we can rely on for a long time, but it's very hard and takes a very long time to find, sadly.

If ever we were able to take all these little gentle volontire contributions like yours or those we get by mail regularely, and have the work done progressively that way. It will be trully fantastic. Sadly we don't really know how to manage dozens or perhaps hundreds of people either.

In conclusion, as you can see, translating something like the playroom is much more than just editing a serie of text files. Always keep that in mind. Don't hesitate to tell us immediately if you have the miracle solution.

Now for the second problem, the no-response. We are all doing volontire work, have all a life and are all working outside of the playroom. I'm studying computer science at master level, so it takes quite a lot of time. Sadly we haven't enough time to answer to all e-mail, all messages we daily receive in our inbox. For translations requests specificly, as you ahve ssen it now, it's not so easy to explain in two minutes, and, allthough we would like it to progress, we are a little bored to try to explain it each time. So usually we don't have enough time to answer properly. Again, sorry for that. It would probably be different if we were paid and working 8 hours a day in an office exclusively for the playroom.

I hope this long message will tell you how complex the situation is. Sadly for everybody, for you as well as for us.

2013-11-08 09:40:48

Hi.
Aminiel:
I have no idea about how much this would cost, but you might consider paying a professionel company to get it all translated into english. Not saying that your english is bad, it is really good, but only to make the translation easier to get rid of the translation tunnel issue. Just a friendly advice, if you really want the system in other languages.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not angry then I posted previously in the topic. I'm glad you're asking for any help on how to deal with all that, because when working on such a big project, making one wrong choice could destroy it all, and I understand you have to choose carefully on what you're doing. So, my advice is to get someone professionelly to help you to translate the system, to make the translation easier. That shouldn't be a problem at all, since Frensh is a very pobular language. Again, I have no idea on how much that would cost, but I could imagine you have a lot of choices on finding someone who could do it, since Frensh is a very used language.
If you need help on anything else from the community, then don't hold it back. Please ask. That's what we are here for. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2013-11-08 10:07:37

So where does the money to get this translation done actually come in, unless you are of a mind that he should pay for it himself?  Somehow that doesn't seem right, considering that he offers his platform for free.  He collects no revenue that I am aware of as a result of the playroom, and he's probably already spending money on hosting alone and whatever other costs are incurred by running it.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2013-11-08 12:09:23

Well that was only a suggestion, and he could ask for any donation. Feel free to come up with something better. What should he do to get rid of this issue?

Best regards SLJ.