2007-08-29 11:20:47 (edited by cx2 2007-08-29 11:23:43)

Was on a mud and this guy asked me about how well screen readers worked with muds. After telling him I found out he had a friend who was blind and lacked a computer, so he would have to build him one... and naturally enough this means he lacks a screen reader. As often happens he hadn't realised how much screen readers cost. So as a result I just have to ask has anyone had any success with any mud clients and free screen readers?

I'm pretty dubious about Thunder at the best of times, but have tried NVDA with GMUD Monkeyterm and Mushclient which the guy suggested and none worked with it so far as I could tell. I know there was mention on Randylaptop's mudding section about the scripts supporting SAPI, but I was hoping for something which would allow you to step through the output as I do with the Jaws cursor so that you can look over what you might have missed or move around awkward outputs. I know there also *might* be potential with Linux using SpeakUp or EmacSpeak, but haven't used Linux in some time and even when I did it had been poorly set up as a part of my equipment for college and that sort of soured me to the system.

If anyone has had any success with anything at all, or knows of anyone who has, please reply with any details you can.

Thanks.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-08-29 15:32:37

Hello,
A Linux screen reader called orca is under development for gnome. That means, it supports every type of linux which has gnome, including ubuntu.
There is a mud client, called gnome-mud, which is known to be pretty good, and works with orca, however i tried under ubuntu, and it seems it's not, maybe they will fix it later, because it worked with earlier versions.
Basically, you could hear the incoming messages, plus listen to the last ten, with alt+1 through 0, just like with IM programs.
hth,
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2007-08-29 16:02:25

Where can you get the Orca screen reader? What synth does it use?

Regards,
Mike
Co-Founder, RS Games
www.rsgames.org

2007-08-29 16:21:40

Thanks, worth knowing. The trouble is this game in question uses tables of info with the first column having an ID number. It's a list of "missions" to ferry things from one point to another, and I find the Jaws cursor invaluable in moving around to find where it is to/from and how much it pays, as well as the size of what I have to take.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-09-01 04:52:38

eh? What mud is this you're speaking of? Sounds interesting.

Take care, it's a desert out there.