2007-08-19 01:29:42 (edited by scrawny42 2007-08-19 01:31:36)

While we're all suggesting games being made accessible and new genres, I was wondering if anyone else has ever wanted to see a game like Super Smash Brothers or something similar made accessible.  I think this genre of games has not been explored enough and I always liked to listen to sighted people play that game and try my hand at it as best I could myself.  With all this said, I have to confess that I know nothing of computer programming so I don't know how massive of an undertaking this would actually be, but wouldn't anyone else like to play accessible Super Smash Brothers or any other game with that beat-'em-up style?

2007-08-19 04:31:21

It could be fun and I don't think it'd be impossibly hard to program.  I'm a novice at programming myself and such a task seems massive but a more advanced programmer might.

2007-08-20 02:51:27

A while back, I had an idea of making a game called ag arena. It'd be like ssb, accept with audio game characters. I folded on the idea because I wasn't too confident wiht my ability to program it to a well enough state that'd pay any tribute to the real game. I also thought it might be hard to get consent from companies to use their characters.

2007-08-20 03:03:10

Well, even if you haven't done it, that is an absolutely brilliant idea, Sk8!  Props for that!  Like I said before, I can't imagine what that programming would be like, but I'm glad that  someone in the business at least gave thought to it.If you could actually pull that off, that what be an awesome game.  About using other AG company's characters, though, I thought esentially all of you were in it to keep this genre going and why stop a great game from happening by holding on to your character?  Personally, I think if anyone barred you from doing that, they'd be doing everyone a disservice.

2007-08-20 16:53:46

You're right about that.
To make a game like this, you'd need lots of extra stuff like a server for online play. Seeing as that my current server may being having a bit of dificulty, I can't imagine how much a a dedecated game server would cost. I'd imagine the game play to be shades of doomish. Or maybe the controls would be closer to the real game, using the arrows and maybe like shift and control as a and b.

2007-08-20 19:06:05

Just to clarrify a little heer, Smash brothers isn't quite your conventional beat em up like Mortal Combat or soul Calibur. the game has a sort of semi 3D view, you can jump around platforms and other stuff in the arenas, do absolutely crazy things in mid air, and most of all, the object is not to deplete your opponent's energy but to knock him/her out of the arena (usually with some very weerdly timed air combos).

the view alone, with jumping quickly around a 3D arena and flying in 3D would be fairly challenging to represent in audio, particularly as at the moment, with the possible exception of the savage gambit, we don't have any audio beat em ups at all.

However, as I've said before, i really like the notion of an audio beat em up, and I deffinately would be interested in seeing match ups like old man Stanly vs Superliam, or lord vector vs vs packman.

remember though that all the characters in the smash brothers games are owned by one company, nintendo, and even when there are company cross ups such as Snk vs capcom these have to be very carefully worked out before hand.

Knowing what their humer is like though, I'm fairly certain some devs would be interested in getting together for such a game (Liam urven himself once suggested doing a supreme commander Ather vs X1 game, which is deffinately a step in the right direction). but i think it probably would need to have a lot of in put from all the devs involved, not just in the voice acting side but in the programming side as well, to make sure that their characters were being used in a game they approved of.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-20 22:59:50 (edited by scrawny42 2007-08-20 23:04:14)

Thanks for clarifying the style, Dark, beat-'em-up was the closest I could think of to describing the style, but the whole time I was writing the post, it wasn't jiving with me.  You've brought to light things I didn't know about because I'm totally blind and I didn't know about all the things you could do in midair.  I assumed as much from playing, though, because ending up in midair  and then landing usually resulted in my character dying because I could never jump right.  Perhaps a more sighted person may correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought the movement when on the ground was forward and backward in two direction like a side scroller.  If that is the case, then it would be better to stick with the original controls of the game.  But if the game is more three dimensional than I thought, perhaps movement similar to that of Shades Of Doom like sk8 was talking about would be better.  I was also thinking about platforms and using a metal boundary to mark the edge of the platform like in Super Liam.  As for what to do while in the air, I"m stumped.

OH, and I never thought what kind of a hastle that would be to get all the voice actors for all those companies to act in the game, that does put a damper on things.

2007-08-21 04:23:26

The game play is definitely not 2-d. You could still have a cross over. You'd use the arrowkeys for moving, and also use them to do different a and b attacks. As dark said, the moves would be very hard to represent. Something of the sort on a smaller, less action packed  scale could work(I.E. less complicated levels and not such a complex amount of moves).
The savage gambot is a good beat-em-up, but we need something where you move around a bit more. I designed a small program that I still have where it's 2d and 2 player. Each player has a base on opposite sides of the playing field. The playing field is 10 spaces wide and these bases are 2 spots wide. Players can not enter other player's bases. You can hit eachother by simpley running into eachother, and you can shoot eachother for more damage. You can load 2 bullets in a gun, and you reload in the farthest area of your base. You can shoot and be shot from your base. The guns have a range of 5.
It's a nice little system, the only problem is that the two players have to be on the same keyboard. I may try to work out some amount of artificial intelligence so you can fight the computer, which brings up a whole nother hard part of designing ssb.
I still like this kind of idea, I think it'd be a good start for a ssb-based audio game!

2007-08-21 07:26:39

If you don't mind me asking (since your site's not up at the moment), is that program on there?  That sounds like a ton of fun to play around with!  Also, I would say that I like games where you're pitted against other people because of the fact that computers are predictable after awhile and you can really see how you match up with your friends.

2007-08-21 12:01:03

the game sounds nice Sk8, I'd like to give it a try when you get it sorted out.

Personally, I do generally prefer to explore a large game world or story on my own rather than playing against other people, but then again, sinse I've only had an unrestricted net connection ever sinse I moved out of uni in may, I haven't had alot of experience at competative gaming against a large number of people.

the view of Smash brothers is very hard to describe. Yes you do move forward and backwards towards and away from your opponent, but the arena moves in 3D, and thus you can be anywhere in it even while moving forwards and backwards. The best analogy is probably that your two characters are always facing each other, but are moving round intside a giant bowl at the same time.

yes, this makes the game incredibly complicated, and in fact I find it visually completely unplayable (as I do with just about everything in 3D).
s movement forward and backwards and ranged attacks like fireballs or throwing weapons.

One project I considdered with Agm was a version of Barbarian 2, an old game for the comador 64 computer of the 1980's which was a sort of mix betwene beat em up and exploration, but I couldn't think of a way of creating your various high and low attacks with Agm building blocks.
As for an audio beat em up, there are two ways of doing it that occur to me. either the way Sk8 said, with something shades of doom style and complete 8 way movement, or something in 2D similar to streetfighter or original Mortal combat, with high, medium and low attacks (easily represented in audio), as well

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-08-21 18:00:52

Yeh, the ssb movement is real tricky. I used to play quite a bit and was pretty good, I never understood it really.
The "super combat" system was not on my site, I was planning on improving it, possibley making ag arena with it, and then releasing it, but now that we're talking this, I might not have a problem releasing it. The sounds weren't super good, so that may need to be changed up a bit, but it's playable right now. Right now, the characters are some monster-alien thingy, and a human.

2007-08-21 22:18:01

Nothing wrong with monster alien thingies.

actually, all the recent talk about mega mec has got me thinking that a gear (or mek if you prefer), piloting beat em up game would be very nice in audio.

any audio help such as targiting could be part of your machines weaponry systems, and even things like upgrading your character (that is your machine), with extra damage or speed, or even additional moves would be possible in this genre as well.

2007-08-21 22:40:59

I saw that Mega Mech topic on the forum, but I have to confess that I don't know anything about that game so it all made little sense to me and I didn't pursue it.  Is it a space strategy game?  And, if so, is it real-time or turn based?

2007-08-21 23:27:27

Hmmm, I didn't know anything about Mega mech either until I asked in that topic. It turns out Mega mech is a turn based stratogy board game where you control various units of mechs and other vehicles on a board made up of hexagons. It sounds very cool, particularly the large amount of background about the batletech universe that goes behind the game, but check out the appropriate topic for more info and some links.

2007-08-21 23:59:14

Yeh, I didn't read that topic.
But when the server is back up, I'll definitely put up super combat. I may add an in range feature so you know when you're with in 5 steps of the other player(shooting range).