2007-08-05 20:05:14

hi,
on the 2nd of August, i turned 12. I've got a really wonderful recorder for it, and as you can tell by the subject name, it's the olympus ds50. I've figured out quite a bit on how to sound pretty good (but I've hard better sounding people). does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to sound great with it?
also, most likely we're going for a trip to amsterdam on thursday the 10th, so we're gonna record that on this new recorder. this means you might be able to listen to it in the future too, via blind cool tech or something fancy like that.
some stuff i want to record in the there is the train station (we're going there by train), the train itself, a busy marketplace, and a little park sort of thing with lots of pigeons.
back to the rcorder itself though. so. i found that the sensitivity levels are really fun to muck with. i can see that the lecture option provides good sensitivity but some horrible noise. like the recorders' fan records itself. then there's the conference option which is good allround. it's nice and clear but has a bit of noise. the dictaphone option is rather quiet, but has not much noise. it's not that sensitive though.

2007-08-05 22:55:29

I have a DS40, which is the same thing with 512MB of flash instead of 1GB, and doesn't come wit some of the little extras that the DS50 does.  I haven't really played around with too many of the settings, I just use the lecture setting most of the time.  I haven't noticed any noise other than the ambient noise of where I'm recording, which I want to be there.  Then again, I'm just using the detachable stereo mic that came with it, which I must say is rather good.

I want to get the remote and the carying case for it, though.

I got it to be able to record college lectures and study sessions, and to be able to do podcasts for blind cool tech, though I still haven't figured out how to submit stuff to it.

The only thing I don't like, and it's a small complaint, is that it doesn't record directly to mp3.  I can use iTunes to convert the files, though.

2007-08-06 09:35:49

yes that's a shame. if i listen to it back with the lecture one though, it is very noisy. if i put it to conf, the noise was reduced greatly. i also notice though that on the recorder, the noise is actually much more then i is on the computer. ie if you play your recordings on the computer it's actually much better.
however, 'm not very impressed with the bass level of the stereo mics that come with it. my voice doesn't have much bass yet but for cars having the radio turned up loud and going boom boom boom for example, you most likely won't be able to hear that which is kind of a shame.

2007-08-07 10:50:09

thanks man. it was a cool birthday with lots of fun.

2007-08-18 21:57:02 (edited by arjan 2007-08-18 21:57:35)

an update. i went to Amsterdam today and it was going pretty much as i was planned (unfortunately, several alien dutchmen including myself can be heard chitchatting while we record the train station, the tram and the marketplace), as well as other neat things.
the question then is how you put it all toether, they're splitted up into about 30 tracks right now.
i most definitely won't do it today because i'm tired and everything, but i might get something done tomorow.

2007-08-20 13:31:21

He... gefeliciteerd van ons allen hier bij AudioGames.net!

Richard en Sander!

Admin note: no, this is not spam smile smile smile
It's Dutch and meaning happy birthday!