2013-05-27 03:46:38

One of the fundamental principles of Kerkerkruip is that there is no grinding. Many of the suggestions you've made really require longer, grind filled games where each encounter has much lower stakes. There are many good games like this, and it would be great to see an IF game made with ATTACK, but it's not something Kerkerkruip could be turned into.

I personally think the player character is already both a warrior and a wizard - to absorb someone's soul is pretty deep magic! But you have been thrown into the dungeon with very few resources and have to find stuff before you can use it.

I think that each version has always added at least one more enemy (or as we are going to start calling them, rogues), often with new locations and items too. The next version will introduce a new religion system - it might provide some more variety you're after. If you're interested, you can read what we're planning here: https://github.com/i7/kerkerkruip/issues/74

2013-05-27 10:14:23

Fair enough on grinding, though also bare in mind that certain things are not available in accessible form, since most brouser rpgs tend to be very uninteresting grind fests of the hit attack, level up beat other players variety, while most exploration style interactive fiction tends to be heavy on the illogical puzzles and not feature any sort of combat or other challenges.

Games that are in the middle and are longer games with exploration, character experience etc, such as actual ascii roguelikes don't tend to be accessible at all, indeed the only one I've played that fits that sort of bill is Angband, and that only through a combination of limited vision and large graphic tyles as well as screen reader friendly text which manifestly wouldn't be accessible to most people on the forum, (plus I personally would much rather a tactical combat which gave you different things to react to the way Kerkerkruip's system works than Angband's massive emphasis on elemental weakness and debuff management).

However I do like the religion system, it sounds fun, albeit I'm looking fforward to seeing more enemies in the game. I also do wonder if the religion system will make it slightly too easy to circumvent the problem of fighting the wrong monsters at the wrong time, since if your going to lose a power anyway and choose to sacrifice it instead you gain a perminant bennifit rather than the temporary one you will lose.

On the angel front, well myself I'm quite happy with angels in the game in the sense meant as guardians and champions of the powers of light who do lots of demon smiting, indeed in the tabletop game I play each week another member of the group is actually playing the angel ezekiel  in human form as a character, and interestingly enough does! feature a fear effect if he goes into full angelic form which is that of an armoured knight with six wings and a flaming sword.

Perhaps however including cherubim or different classes of angels to match the undead and demons might be a good idea for the future.

As regards changing starting conditions for each class, well I do certainly agree that absorbing souls is pretty magical though i wasn't sure this was something which the player character, (call them mercinary since your using rogues as monsters), did on their own, or whether it was a feature of the magical dungeon environment.

Even if however we do assume the mercinary does have some skills in magic, it's not beyond the realms of possibility to add a couple of classes, indeed this could be tied into the religion system since a class who couldn't use scrolls or magic devices would be far more dependent upon the gods, where as a magical class with full access to death scrolls etc wouldn't need to be.

The physical class, call it barbarian could start with higher body but lower mind, a higher damaging 1d7 broardsword instead of the rapier, some extra combat moves, say a feint ability which increases the chance of an enemy hitting with their next attack but also increases your damage, or a disarm ability which decreases parry chance but with a successful parry the enemy needs to recover for a round, (note that barbarians are not necessarily stupid, indeed robbert howard's original conception of Conan had him as quite a cunning and tactical fighter not just a meat head).

Then the magical class, perhaps warlock (a combative wizard), could start with a less damaging 1 d4 staff, higher mind but lower body and some different combat skills. Calm, which means concentration can be acquired more quickly but at the cost of defense, and force, the ability to parry a blow with force of mind rather than a weapon jedi style which gives increased parry, but lessons the damage of the next attack.

In addition the warlock class could identify somee scrolls by default and have a chance of knowing whether some items were cursed.

Just some suggestions for mixing the game up even more.

@Stewee, having your minions do for Malygris is rather amusing. Unfortunately, when i was undead I had three minions wandering around with me, but since I couldn't heal myself I ended up facing malygris with only about 6 health. he was getting quite well bedeviled by my corpsely friends, but then got in a lucky hit with his dagger. Then again, this was before the block ability was added, so I'd probably get on better with that tactic this time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)