2007-07-08 20:51:19

Thanks. Don't think I'm trying to be pushy, any comments I make like that are purely my opinion.

I am very happy a game like this has even been made, it is a great test case and platform for future development in the genre and I am also sure SoundRTS will be a great game in its own right.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-08 20:56:53

i agree there, both with the game itself and with the archers.

2007-07-11 04:32:41

I have a few suggestions.  I think that a pause function would be grate for the single player version.  Sitting at the computer for an hour isn't always practical.  It might also be fun to make it so that peasants have to exploit farms like they do woods.  You build a farm and have the option of getting so many food units from it per minute or something like that.

2007-07-11 05:51:06

If you press F10 the game will be paused until you go back to the game (in the single player game at least).

About the voice, I finally could remove automatically the silence at the end of the sound files with MS Mary and MS Mike. The game is the same, but the 2 installers are there, if you want to compare:
MS Mary: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/soundrts-1 … n-mary.exe
MS Mike: http://jlpo.free.fr/soundrts/soundrts-1 … n-mike.exe
You can install them in different folders.

2007-07-17 02:33:43

Jade, you were wondering why catapults were effective: they can hit more than one enemy at once if I remember right.
One question, is it possible to have a group of units,say archers, target a dragon and no one else?  Whenever I run into the enemy I just let it do the fighting and I can't figure out anyway to have any control over who my units attack.

One more thing, I agree with Austin's suggestion, make the farms like gold mines and woods and have peasants exploit them.  No farm used properly runs out of food, so why do these only provide four.

These are just suggestions and I really love this game.  You've done a great job!

2007-07-17 05:57:27

it is mmore that the farms can continually produce 4 food, enough for four single men or two knights. The food isn't really consumed, it is just a limit on how many units you can have.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-18 02:14:45

That's a good point.  I suppose limitting how many food rations are available per farm prevents you from running rampent and creating way too many units.

2007-07-18 03:55:29

About the control on the units, I will make sure that when you target a dragon and you control all the local archers (with the G key) and you give them the default order (with the backspace key) the units will attack only this unit. At the moment, with the current units' AI, I'm not sure it is the case, unless maybe you tell the archers to stop before giving the order to attack. The other problem is to be able to target the enemy quickly enough.

2007-07-18 07:53:04

there's a cap of 20 food ----- five farms, which I've found to be a miner pest considdering the three food limit of mages and dragons, and the fact that quite often I have to send my peasants on a suicide run so that I have enough food for other units. while I understand the reasoning for this, ------ to limit the amount of ttime games take, it'd be nice to have a go at getting the mage skills researched.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-07-18 08:38:30

yep. but if people play strategically you'd not be the only one with less then 20 units.

2007-07-19 02:31:05

I recall Soundmud mentioned it was to keep the game speed playable if someone decided to throw out 20 footmen or something similar, I seem to recall he mentioned he would seriously consider increasing the limit if he could refine the game to run faster.

cx2
-----

2007-07-19 04:05:09

i know he also said something about altering the limit if he ever found includes the ability to save, ------ though given the rather bad leadership of the computer, I can't see single player games going on too long, ------ I think 60 minutes is the longest game I've had, and that was only because I was specifically building up a group of mages (my footmen and knights could've been quite capable of taking out the computer on their own). `

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-07-19 12:57:24

And possibly sharing out the limits from the other two non-existent players in a two player game since the limit was apparently set for worst case scenario of four players with 20 units each.

cx2
-----

2007-07-19 14:41:35

Hmmm, that's a thought, 40 units each would be cool! ----- though I can see lack of meadows possibly becoming an issue later on in the game, especially if you want a lot of troop diversity.

2007-07-30 01:42:55

Hello. Currently a little question. So as I hear there isn't a way to make maps by yourself for example, and teach the computer to recognize them? If so, The map editor or at least some hints how to make them would be nice. So far thanks for the game I've been waiting for years. The sound rts project is a very good thing i think. Especially because one if has enough time could make at least five different games out of it. Something like warcraft, other's like age of empires etc.

with regards

Languages don't influence the way we think, but they still have a world and worth in themselves. Celebrate your mother tongue, the world is a diverse place.

2007-07-30 08:45:25

i built 40 units without any lack of meadows dark. currently the only problem i have is, wood. if you know where to look, you could get 750 gold on map 3. but woods only have 50 in them which is not enough if you want to build lots of fancy stuff.

2007-07-30 12:12:51

may be the woods at d4 can change to 250 wood?

2007-07-31 00:56:15

icemaster:
I am not speaking for Soundmud here, but I seem to recall he said the maps currently in the game are hardcoded in so he can get it working this much. Remember this is a beta, and given that it is free software sometimes betas are more akin to late alphas for stuff you would pay for.

cx2
-----

2007-08-03 11:24:36

For now, the simplest way for me to add wood is to raise the default number of wood to 75 instead of 50 for every wood. I will include this in the next release.

2007-08-04 09:02:55

can't you do it like the goldmines there are some with 150 gold and others wit h 750. add a random wood e 25 or 50, or 10, ad one wih 200, or something. but as you said it's not as simple.