2013-04-24 21:52:58 (edited by Aaron Baker 2014-07-10 18:55:56)

Adventure At C:
Adventure at C: is my first Audio game.
It is developed with the Blastbay Game Toolkit.
This side scroller attempts to challenge you more than most other side scrollers out there.

Storyline:
You are a computer programmer who gets infected with a lot of viruses. A mysterious virus known as RS has taken over your system and claims he can use it to take over the world! Paniced, you try your untested code to turn yourself in to a program and place yourself on the hard drive.
It actually works and you are now in a world where viruses, corrupted files, and other mean data are roming the disk.

Features:

Easy to remember controls, with very difficult levels, making for an enjoyable experience.
Your character actually has stats! Health, Power, and Defense.
These can be upgraded by buying upgrades at the store.
Game completely saves, trust me, you'll be very glad of that.
Multiple save slots.
13 stages, 14
bosses!
Four additional post game stages can be accessed after the game is complete, as well as an interesting new type of stage.
Build and play custom stages made by you or other Adventure At C: players.

More information in the read me file.
Download:
Play it for yourself!
http://www.vgstorm.com/aac/aac.zip
DropBox link if the above link fails
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58851737/aac.zip
Only use dropbox if necessary, so as to make the game available when the other one is down.
Other information:
Adventure at C: is completely free!
If you play and enjoy the game, please consider making a donation.
http://www.vgstorm.com/donate.html

I hope you enjoy Adventure At C:!

2013-04-24 22:38:51

hi and welcome to the forum
i think this game is good
thanks

2013-04-24 22:43:15

Umm, for some reason, the link isn't working with IE. Is this an issue for anyone else?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2013-04-24 22:49:28 (edited by Aaron Baker 2013-04-25 00:18:37)

Sorry, I had to reupload because of bgt changes. The game is available again!

2013-04-25 00:21:08 (edited by keyIsFull 2013-04-25 00:36:10)

holy shit this game is awesome. I really like it. THough I wish that, in pictures, you could hear where each of the platforms were. Because it's hard t jump to each one as it is because the platforms are only 1 space wide, But they al make the same sound and they all play at the same time so you can't tell where each one is util you have jumped over the one before it, and by that time you basically don't have any time to process where to go.Unless they are eenly spaced, which might also be helpful. I just beat the my downloads folder. Crazy hard that was, but I realized that the problem was the fact that my left hand was slower than my right hand on the trigger key, which showed when I was defending the zip downloads folder. So I had to switch my left han to the arrow keys and fire with the space bar. I really liked the boss too, pretty ingenious. I wonder if te stat prices at the shop are too  high. I mean, 4096 bits just for 10 points of hp?
Anyway, I'll continue playing, this game is just awesome. I consider it on a par wth bk2.
Edit: this game is almost unfairly too hard. What you ned is a detection menu like that on bk  that tells you where all the items are at the time of the press. THere's no way to know where the next platform is unless you trial and error it. Plus the platforms are only 1 tile wide. It makes it way too easy to overshoot them. I just blew 34 lives trying to jump the platforms. I've gotten onto the fourth one but there's at least 2 more I have to jump over that I could hear before I fell and died. That's a seriously unfair learning curve there. Especially since I've never seen a multi platform pit before that one, and pictures is the second level on the menu, even though you can play the in whatever order you want. From what I saw, the levels just get progressively harder, so this doesn't bode well for me.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2013-04-25 00:35:35

Hello KeyIsFull, the platforms aren't too bad, and in most levels they are spaced evenly. I may in future make them play at different times so that it is easier to differinciate between them. As it is it just takes some practice, which is the reason the checkpoint is there obviously.
As for items in the shop, they are pricy, but later in the game you can get a bit more bits. smile
They are intentionally pricy. Glad you like it, Key.

2013-04-25 00:38:13

I just edited my previous post. The platforms in the picture level are definitely not spaced evenly. The first one was 4 tiles for the pit edge, then the next one was 5 tiles fom that one, then I think the third one was 4 or 6 tiles more (though I'm not sure because I was pressing the arrow key too fast to count). Ten the fourth platform was 2 or 3 spaces fomr that one, then there was a 5th one 2 spaces from that one. I overshot both the fourth and fifth platforms when jumpoing from the third platform, so they were fairly close.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2013-04-25 00:39:56 (edited by Aaron Baker 2013-04-25 00:42:57)

Notice I said most. Yes, that level has very little platform jumping. In desktop and system32 they ae spaced more evenly.
Just read your edit.
I will mess with changing the platforms, but the point is to be difficult. Yes, some of the levels are harder than others, but not really n a spesific order. Downloads, for example, I considder harder than music.

2013-04-25 01:24:19

OK, the riddle in  my docuents is impossible to solve. Well, I guess it's not, but you have to trial and error before you get it, and according to this matchmaking program, there are 148 words that can fit. If you don't believe me, go visit
http://www.quinapalus.com/cgi-bin/match?pat=m[aeiou]....e&misp=0&minl=7&maxl=7&sps=abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz&sbs=&outp=0&dict=0&ent=Search

2013-04-25 01:35:28

I really like this game, but I believe I found a bug. Sometimes, I am killed by time bombs I don't even hear. I'm just walking along, and all of a sudden, "Boom!" I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but its really annoying!

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

2013-04-25 01:46:59 (edited by keyIsFull 2013-04-25 01:50:05)

Playing through the program files level. ALl those teleporters are annoyin, you have to jump them all. Or you will d, i, e! I also was walking left when I saw the tutorial.EXE file in the program files folder and it warned me of  great danger. Was that to my right or my left that it was mentioning. I managed to survive all the fun at the right side, but was halted by a steel data wall, so I had to go the other way.
Edit: I managed to keep going. I accidentally stepped onto one of the deletion rays and am venturing through the level with 10 health. SWish me luck. I have about 40 lives.

2013-04-25 02:15:15

KeyIsFull, think, what is the game about? Malware? What matches that password? Malware.... There is also another word I shall not disclose.
Also, talking to tutorial is what removes the steel data. And as for the danger, I shall ignore that. smile
Gamedude, the time bombs hit far and wide. They do not appear until a certain point though.
No glitch.

2013-04-25 03:35:04

wow!
ingenious idea!
cool game play!
good, if a bit far fetched, storyline!
intance dificalty!
just amaising!

friends:
come and join my
facebook group!

2013-04-25 03:49:08

This game is awesome so far, and after the hour or so completing the downloads folder I ran into one bug.

I was jumping and all of a sudden I couldn't move. I could duck, change weapon, but couldn't fire, walk or jump.

Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

2013-04-25 03:49:18 (edited by Aaron Baker 2013-04-25 04:01:22)

Glad you are enjoying it,  Chandu! I am glad!
stewie, this bug has now been resolved. A version containing this fix will be available tomorrow. For now, to fix the issue, you have to exit the current level and everything should return to normal.

2013-04-25 04:18:31

Hi.
wow, is all I can say.
I have been a computer tech for ages, and well this game its really cool.
A few things.
I have fiddled with the stages in the downloads stage how do I stop the viruses killing zipfiles.
yes I can smash a few but they get to close and then I have lost it.
also where did you get the sfx and soundtrack.
is there a possibility I could get these just to listen to not to use.
did you make the music or was it from something else.
its all cool.
some of the background sfx I recognise from a couple sound libraries but the rest I have no idea.
this thing reminds me of tron.
its really good.
had no idea you could compile all the stuff into  the program.

2013-04-25 04:28:30

Hello everybody, new bugfix version available, check it out!
Hello Crashmaster, Thanks for your feedback! The sound effects are from various locations. Lots of them I created, E.G. wall, cracked wall, rock, most enemy synths, and others. Some others were public domain from http://www.freesound.org/ . The music is sadly unavailable due to the unfortunate closing of http://www.8bc.org/
The sounds are part of the exe because of BGT's nifty pack object and the ability to pack a pack with your executable.

2013-04-25 09:37:43

Hi.
wow! This game does really sounds awesome! Can't wait to check it out!
congratulations on releasing your first game and welcome on the forum.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-04-25 09:45:43

I've managed to unlock 2 accomplishments as well. Tons of fun, those accomplishments, heh.

2013-04-25 10:20:45

@TheOnlyPKMNmaster:

First of all, great job! this is really fun for me, and i love it for the retro style used in sounds and music.
I didn't play it too much, but after first two levels i can tell it's avesome. One negative think, don't get it really personally, is the microphone. If it can be fixed to have high quality of voice acting it will rocks!
If you need voice actors, simply give me a shot and i can record something for ya. I have good pair of microphones so no worries about quality.

Again, keep posting, this is really great project.

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2013-04-25 10:37:01

where does the program store its save data? I want to copy it to my computer at school so that I can play at school without having to rebeat the 4 stages I've already beaten.

2013-04-25 10:38:12

Oy! This sounds really cool. smile Foxie can't wait to try it... I just need to get home first... Lol! big_smile
Congratulations with your release, and welcome to the forum. *Bows and smiles*

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2013-04-25 11:03:20

Really great example of what you can do with bgt, not to mention, the game is very challenging! Nice work.

2013-04-25 12:11:46

hi!
can someone reupload the game?
the link says error 509.

2013-04-25 13:13:00

Hello everybody,
First of all thanks for all the feedback!
Regarding the 509, I will reupload my game elsewhere. Please hang tight while I find a good place to upload it.
KeyIsFull, save files vary depending on system, but on my computer they are stored in C:\ProgramData\Adventure At C\