2013-04-11 15:10:36

Hello all. I was wondering about the whys and wherefores of hosting a TeamTalk. As a sophomore in high school, I can't really pay anyone to host it, as I am far too busy with schoolwork and such. So I ?as wondring if there is a free hosting option? Someone suggested that I use my laptop as a host. There is one issue with that. My computer is my laptop, my laptop is my home base, and my home base is the computer that goes to school. I have no other options but a free host or don't bother.

2013-04-11 16:50:57

Hi:

The amount of bandwidth TeamTalk uses, especially on large servers where people use voice activation, is absolutely insanely huge.  You will need a VPS that allows for at least 500 GB of network traffic per month.  You're not going to get this for free.  Also, all of the free hosts do not generally allow servers.  However, memory and disc space for TeamTalk are not a huge issue.  The best you're going to do is check:
http://www.lowendbox.com/
every once in a while. You should be able to get a deal on a server that will fit your needs for between $2 and $5 US per month.  You should also expect to spend another $4 per year for a domain.  I don't know what your situation is, but you should be able to earn this amount of money by doing odd jobs for people, or perhaps as an allowance from your parents.  I know as a pre-teen, I had chores around the house and got $3 a week for completing them. 

Note that the prices above assume you want to run team talk, *only*!  If you want to run e-mail servers, and perhaps a website with PHP and a database, you're looking at a price of between $10 and $20 a month, as you need a lot more memory.  Your best option might be to pay for a TeamTalk server, run it as teamtalk.YourDomain.com, and then find a free web host to point www.YourDomain.com at.  Some free web hosts will allow you to have PHP and perhaps 1 database.  I've heard good things about:
http://www.000webhost.com/
but I don't know if you can point your own domain at them or not. 
If you want to do email on your domain, now that Google Apps is no longer free, your cheapest option will run you about $40 a year:
https://www.fastmail.fm/signup/personal.html
I have used these guys in the past, and they do what they do well. 

I know the frustration of being a teenager and wishing everything was free. Unfortunately, it just doesn't work that way.  I honestly do believe that $100 per year for TeamTalk, e-mail, and web hosting, is the best you can possibly get.  You're also going to learn by doing valuable things about Linux administration, DNS, etc, at a much cheaper price than any course you could take.  Most web hosts and email providers will be happy to take yearly payments by certified cheque or money order, so you should be able to get away without a credit card. 

All of the above kind of assumes you're a middle class North American.  Perhaps your resources are somewhat less than I have assumed above. If so, your best bet is going to be to find a partner who wants to run a website and server with you, and can contribute the money, while you put in the time.

2013-04-12 10:13:30

Actually, as soon as I get my job in the summer, I will be more than capable of getting a domain for around the cheapest, just for a TeamTalk.

2013-04-14 18:05:00

I will say this... as I have hosted my own teamtalk server in the past and I need to get it setup again, but.... Here is the thing... if you are willing to get your own dedicated server other wise known as VPS... Lol. you should be able to get a teamtalk server up and running... if you want me to show you how to get it up and running, feel free to add me on skype... my skype username is: toney1991... and I'll just say this... I do have my own linux server witch I pay per month, 39$ a long with a domain that I'm paying 10 bucks per year and stuff... if you want to know where I got my server from, visit, http://linode.com... the cool thing about my server and any other server that you can get from there, is that you get total access and root access and you can do pritty much everything, installing any kind of software that is linux compatible and many many other things. note. when you get your server, there is nothing installed so you will have to install all the software yourself... if you are a linux geek like me, you should be able to do this with no problem... infact, if anyone of you guys have connected to the kjsc radio server of RTR, that... is also hosted from my server as well. if you want me too, I'm willing to host a teamtalk server for you at a very very low price and I'll try and see what I can do with a domain setup as well should you want one... just contact me through email or on skype. So we will see what happens. HTH.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2013-04-14 19:43:20 (edited by fastfinge 2013-04-14 19:47:33)

Hi:

Yes, Linode is a really good VPS host. They are also really expensive.  Paying more than maybe $6 a month to run a TeamTalk server is far, far too much.  Getting a $39 Linode for that job is overkill.  If you're willing to host for him for $5 or less a month, good for you!  Otherwise, a cheap VPS is almost always going to be a better bet.

Though I was apparently wrong about needing another web host to run a PHP and MySql website.  Apparently, you can crush an entire WordPress installation down into 80 MB of ram:
http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/wordpress … endscript/
This astonishes me. My installation is currently using a bit over 800 MB.

2013-04-14 20:55:18

Are these VPS thingies available to retail stores, or do I get into them via the cloud? For example: I need to make a structure change as far as root things. So do I need to purchase a VPS from a Bestby or something, then hook it to the provider, or do they do it by some amazing virtual system?

2013-04-15 18:23:54

A vps is basicly a VMWare copy of linux on someone else's server for you.

It goes into more detail than that, but, escentially, you're paying for some space and memory on someone's computer where you can install Linux/windows.  ti's called virtual private server.

You can't get them at retail stores.  If you were to get an actual computer and put linux on it then you would have a deticated server.

If you're willing to pay just a few bucks for voice chat, you could check out some of the ventrillo hosting.

2013-04-15 19:26:24

@king gamer: A VPS is a virtual server.  So you need to purchase it online, over the internet.  Once you buy one, you will be given an IP that you can use to connect to your server, and point any domain addresses at.  Go to:
http://www.lowendbox.com/
and find a server that has at least 500 GB of monthly bandwidth, and 256 MB or so of memory, that you can afford.  Then order that server from the person or company selling it.  They will probably ask you what operating system you want; for teamtalk, you should pick some kind of Linux (I like Debian or Ubuntu).  Once they set it up for you, they will tell you what IP address, and password you should use to log in to your server.  Then, you can install things like a teamtalk server.  For more information about how to use a Linux server, see:
http://library.linode.com/getting-started
start by doing all of the things it says under the heading "logging in for the first time".  Ignore the things before that part, as they are all specific to Linode and won't help you.  Once you've figured out connecting to the server, setting the time and the hostname, and installing software updates, you'll know almost everything you need to set-up your teamtalk server.

2013-04-16 11:28:37

You can also get a Team Talk Server, free for life! from LevTec:
http://levtec.linkpc.net/levtec.htm
Make sure to follow
LevTec On Twitter
, to check out the latest deals. The last one, was a Team Talk Server, free for life, for a donation of #30, or $45.92.
That comes with 5 GB of space.
I do not use TeamTalk myself, just passing the word along.

2013-04-16 11:34:54

Hi.
I have an annoying issue with the Teamtalk server I'm running:
The sound quallity is very poor, and I have configured the sound KBPS to be unlimited on the server. When looking in the settings on my client, I see the option to configure the sound quallity when using the virtual cursor, but I can't make any changes to it. If someone have any idea on why this is happening, I would be more than happy to hear about it. I have searched in so many forums, but never found the answer.
My internet connection is more than fast enough to run a server. It's 50 megabits!

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2013-04-16 16:35:26

@Trenton Goldshark: I...guess, if you *really* need free.  But I would absolutely not trust these guys with anything even vaguely important.  They want you to use Internet Explorer, only? In 2013?  *And* they say you have to modify your security settings?  That is a huge, huge red flag!  Also, have you noticed the formatting and spelling errors on that page?  That says totally  unprofessional to me, if anything ever did.  I would not be surprised if they are out of "business" in a month. 

Also, they are hosting the "server" on a home cable internet connection, with a dynamic IP, and a free dynamic DNS provider.  This is quite probably against the terms of use of that connection, and the cable company could shut them down at any second.  Don't believe me? Have a look:

Tracing route to levtec.linkpc.net [82.31.64.129]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     2 ms    <1 ms  PROULX-TIME-CAP [192.168.1.1]
  2     8 ms     8 ms    10 ms  10.126.158.1
  3    14 ms    11 ms    12 ms  66.185.89.109
  4    21 ms    11 ms    11 ms  24.156.157.61
  5    22 ms     9 ms     8 ms  69.196.136.36
  6     9 ms    10 ms    14 ms  10gigabitethernet1-2.core2.tor1.he.net [209.51.191.173]
  7    28 ms    24 ms    24 ms  10gigabitethernet10-3.core1.nyc4.he.net [184.105.223.173]
  8    26 ms    37 ms    30 ms  100gigabitethernet11-1.core1.ash1.he.net [184.105.223.165]
  9    94 ms    95 ms    96 ms  eqix.tele-ic-3.ntli.net [206.126.236.56]
10   105 ms   104 ms     *     nrth-bb-1b-ae7-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.174.17]
11   107 ms   107 ms   108 ms  colc-core-1b-ge-000-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.163.62]
12   101 ms   108 ms   100 ms  colc-cmts-06-gigaether-141.network.virginmedia.net [213.107.225.186]
13   115 ms   110 ms   113 ms  cpc14-colc6-2-0-cust128.7-4.cable.virginmedia.com [82.31.64.129]

Trace complete.

2013-04-17 06:06:14

one word:
Eep!
Other than that, I'm speechless.

2013-04-17 13:30:15

I will discuss this with my mom and see what happens.

2014-01-23 14:05:43

host1free
give's free VPS with unlimited bandwidth

2014-01-23 16:30:11

Is it reliable and secure?

2016-07-22 05:47:20

[wow], the power of searching can do wonders...
big_smile

I dug up this old post after falling victim to thinking I knew how hosting a Teamtalk server worked.  If you guys saw my post earlier, I asked a question about hosting a server from my own laptop, but it wouldn't be a dedicated machine.

My question is, who has had experience with Linode?  Has anyone dealt with GoDaddy's VPS's?  I already own a domain from them with a webhosting plan per three months.  I host a website there under that domain.

What's the difference between a Linux and Windows-based server?  Should I get Linux to host a Teamtalk server, or could I use Windows?

Hopefully this wasn't question overload...

Thanks,

Luke

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2016-07-24 04:46:11

Hi,
Its really your choice as for the platform you want to use. I personally use a linux VPS, but you will need to learn bash in order to set up TT, as well as email, a webserver, other stuff like that. With windows, you'd just use remote desktop, and if you wanted NVDA remote for controlling the instance.
My advice is to learn some commandline. You don't need to be the worlds greatest user, all you have to know is the basics, and those aren't hard to learn at all. Just google or ask on this forum.
You could get windows, but for the budget linux is a better choice. If you want a guide on setting up a tt server using commandline, let me know as that's probably not on google, although I could be wrong.
For hosting, I'm currently with vultr.
http://vultr.com
They have plans starting at $5/month, and that's with 1,000 GB of bandwidth.
If you want $20 free to start, use the following link
http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6933472-3B

2016-07-24 05:17:11

@cartertemm,

I would greatly appreciate a guide to set up a TT server.

I know nothing about VPS's, so I'm desperately trying to figure it out based off of web searches.

I am also planning to use Linode, if that gives you any idea as to how you might set up your guide.

Luke

2016-07-24 06:10:56 (edited by leibylucw 2016-07-24 06:31:42)

I successfully created a VPS on Linode.  I was advised to use the putty.exe SSH client.  THe first problem arose: network errors and timeouts.

I was trying to use the browser-based console, but it wasn't taking.  Nor did putty when I attempted to connect to the server -- hopefully this is just a network problem on my end.  Perhaps I didn't do something right...

I'm looking at command line commands at the moment and trying to understand how they work.

That's my progress so far.

Edit: I'm attempting to log in to my server using Ubuntu 16, but it's asking for a username and password, of which was not asked upon creation.

Luke

2016-07-24 15:49:43

What flavor of Linux are you using  along with the version?

2016-07-25 02:56:40

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Luke

2017-09-09 19:47:17

Hi there!
A friend of mine, who is also on this forum showed me how to use Secure CRT to create a new session and log into Ubuntu Version 16. They also showed me how to update and install basic packages. What are the commands to install TeamTalk on Ubuntu? Would I need to get it from a GitHub repository?

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-09-09 22:22:20

Hello. Go to http://bearware.dk and download the teamtalk .tar.gz file for what ever Linux distro you are running. For example, for Debian based systems, it would be, teamtalk for Debian.. Once you download it, upload to a directory on your server and then, untar it by doing the following commands. $tar -xvf <filename>.tar.gz. Once you have done that,  print your directory again by doing $ls and you'll see the directory untared. cd into that directory and go into server. In there, you should see, tt5srv. Now, this bynarry can do a bunch of things. We are only gunna focus on a couple of options that you can do. if you do, $./tt5srv and hit enter, you'll get a list of options that you can use as a reference. But for now, we are gunna use the wizard, as that's the easiest way of getting a server up and running. so, type $./tt5srv -wizard and just follow the onscreen instructions. Once that is done, just to be sure that things worked, print that directory out by doing $ls again and you should see, tt5srv.xml. this is the file that your teamtalk server reads off of. If you see tt5srv.xml, you're set. Now, just run tt5srv with the following. $./tt5srv -d and there you go. Your server is up and running. If you have any more questions, let me know. I'm also offering free teamtalk hosting under a sub domain if you want to host that way as well.

Jonathan Candler, A.K.A, Jonnyboy

2017-09-10 01:44:48 (edited by Green Gables Fan 2017-09-10 02:24:29)

What's the command to upload and download files from your computer to the server? I just started using Linux Ubuntu for the first time yesterday, so I am still very new on this package manager and stuff. I don't remember if my friend had already set the time zone though. Thanks for your offer, but I would like to learn how to host things and use domain names, and subdomain names.
I looked at the various distributions but I don't see Ubuntu listed as one of them, yet my friends who use Linode and Voltr use Ubuntu V16.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2017-09-10 14:24:02

Hi.
Just upload the Teamtalk program to your server using FTP.
If you find it difficult to unzip the program using the command line on Linux, you can unzip it on your windows computer and just upload the folder to your server. Then, configure the server by running the wizard as previously explained.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen