2013-04-01 21:07:27 (edited by CAE_Jones 2013-04-03 15:50:47)

(Last update: 4/3/2013)
Full archive: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/JeqoconB.zip
Patch: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/jfpatch.zip

Today's update is a small one, but I hope it improves something for someone. And it's leading up to something much bigger, if everything continues as it has been (or better, since "as it has been" has been pretty crappy since the end of October).

Anyway, I've added mostly to the JF IM Adventure. There's some work on DB:GU, but it's not easy to spot at the moment.

- all the games should have braille support, though in practice only the JF IM Adventure has it completed. This isn't quite the same as Mario's braille; this literally outputs the contents of the map at the camera position. The first initials of characters appear as well, and the first symbol of item names will flash.
- Movement no longer requires constant tapping; you can hold the directional buttons to continue moving. This should make the first half of the game much easier, but I imagine it will make one particular challenge a lot harder, bwahahaha.
- The camera controls no longer collide with the power up controls. That little issue was particularly annoying when playing as Wolf with low MP, since he'd start yelling every time you'd summon the camera, lol. It should be gone, now.

There might be another unplayable title in the game list. The question is, will it remain unplayable? My predictive powers are terrible, but right now it feels like you might have more games to play very soon. smile

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-02 07:04:59

Sweet. I was thinking about grabbing this a while ago... remembered it just in time apparently! lol BTW, email me and upate me on the progress of the game in the works. tongue So fa, I like everything I read.

Discord: clemchowder633

2013-04-02 14:44:04

What I'd really like to know is which of these three gives people the most trouble with the JFIMA:

• 1: the controls are poorly designed/clunky responses/etc. (It is designed to be more like console controls rather than typical PC gaming controls, but you can adjust the configuration as well; there might still be something inherently screwy in there, though.).

• 2: it's too confusing to make sense of what's going on; in other words, the sounds are more like noise than providing any help at making sense of the layout. I think one big mistake I made was making the sidewalks in the city low platforms rather than slopes, out of some strange idea of realism. Then again, making them slopes might have confused people just as much, if this really is a problem.

• 3: The solutions to the puzzles aren't very intuitive. This part... this part I totally get, hahaha. I was kinda hoping to work in more hints (I.E, have the characters comment when you find the seaweed, etc), but that didn't quite work out. There are some areas where instructions or powerups come from NPCs that don't make any sound (I'm specifically thinking of Segran's training and that hidden powerup in that one place after you escape the temple...). Those pretty much come down to lack of available sounds.

I'm beginning to wonder about the wisdom of including that mysterious new game in this collection, actually, since all the games in here are pileups of random fanfiction, whereas that one is completely original and actually supposed to make sense. Hmm...

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-02 15:33:31

Oh, and a reminder in case DBGU is confusing:
The character positions have very low resolution. If you're left of the center, you're facing right. If you're right of the center, you're facing left. If you're trying to hit someone on the same side of the center as you, you'll need an attack that hits behind you.
I did code something to write movelists, but it didn't turn out very well, since the techniques aren't named or described internally, and there are lots and lots of hidden states for multi-part techniques or combos. Luckily, I usually outlined the movelist in comments before actually coding them, so if I threw the code at someone, they could probably write movelists without needing to understand the code at all.

The idea behind the engine was "I want to play something. Now." It's supposed to feel like a mainstream fighting engine without actually being as detailed as a mainstream fighting engine. I liked the feel of it enough that I expanded it into a couple fighting games and three sidescrollers, but there are reasons that only two of those ever got released. Story reasons, mostly. Though since I wound up starting to remake one of those as a Swamp campaign, I should probably go ahead and port the rest of them to BGT.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-03 14:11:44

I'm very close to having a major update for DB:GU ready. Hopefully, it'll only take a couple hours to finish sweeping for bugs, and then it will be posted.
In the mean time, here's a move list:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/gumovelist_short.txt
It was a quick-and-dirty job, so there are probably things missing, but it should be much better than nothing. It covers most of the characters in Arcade Mode.

I specify Arcade Mode because I just added Vs Mode. Vs Mode also just had a weird case of the errors, but onc those are fixed, it'll be up for playing.
Unfortunately, this does not include online play. If you have someone at the same computer, you can play together or against each other; otherwise, the PVP option is probably more like practice.
In vs mode, the computer starts out using the AI of regular opponents, but once its health drops below 50, it starts using the boss AI. There are some characters that approach unbeatable in the hands of the boss AI, so... look out for that!

Well, and this update also fixes that bug with the portal key, adds cutscenes between levels, and adds a lot of missing music.

But I think I've said too much. XD

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-03 15:50:18

Ok, the update is uploading!
For convenience, here's the full archive (this one has the new music): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/JeqoconB.zip
And here's the patch (just the updated play.exe): https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16520690/jfpatch.zip
All for Dragonball: Grand Unification:
You can actually advance after beating Danzer and Pranzer now.
Hopefully, the new scenes will get this to make more sense! Although it's kinda lacking a solid intro, and a good half of it comes from the days when our writing (this was a three person project) was kinda... *ahem* developing.
Versus mode now works! It doesn't include a random feature, though... up/down will move you one character at a time, and left/right will move 5 at a time.
In theory, you can unlock more characters for Versus mode by advancing in arcade mode, but I'm not sure how to get back to the main menu from there, so hopefully selecting load from the main menu will load the data that vs mode needs.

(Don't forget the JFIMA's analog movement and braille support!)

As of this post, dropbox tells me the full archive will take another twelve (12) minutes to finish uploading. The patch is already ready, though.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-04 23:20:21

Hi, looks great so far. Will sengoku jidai be a part of the console as well? By the way, what's up with this game? Is it still alive? And does your games support only sapi or other screen readers like NVDA as well?

2013-04-04 23:55:17

They support other screen readers. In this collection, you can press F5 to adjust voice settings.
I probably won't add Sengoku Jidai to this collection, because there are some significant coding differences that would make this very difficult and time-consuming. I could add Mario to it, though (the java version actually did include Mario, before I'd added a lot of improvements in the BGT version).

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-05 01:21:34

Okay, and what's going on with sengoku jidai in general? Is it still alive and will it be developed further or is it complete already? We heard nothing about it for long. It's an very interesting and impressive project as well. But all your games are impressive, just my opinion. Keep up the great job man.

2013-04-05 03:32:06

I'm not sure. It still needs a few campaigns, and there are stealthy bugs that I only sorta patched rather than fixed, and multiplayer needs work. I don't know if / when I'll get back to it, though.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-06 23:22:57

Hi, Another question about the Jecocon console in it's actual version: Are the games wich come with it complete already? Or are there ones wich are not finished yet gamewise?

2013-04-07 00:21:56

The games you can play in the console are complete, but there might be some bugs I missed, or other things to be patched at some point.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-07 00:27:32

sweet! downloading it,right now tongue

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2013-04-07 01:07:02

That's nice, I will try it as well. Is the download link in the first post the one for the newest version? And, if a new update comes out, has the console an automatic updater or do we have to download it manualy? Wich of your other games are complete, except of sword and escape the dark legion? Keep up the great work man.

2013-04-07 01:35:38

The first post links to the latest version, yes.
Mario is complete, unless it turns out that 8-4 is actually unbeatable and I have to change something to fix that. And Towering Tones, unless I add some way to review the board...

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-07 01:56:20

cae, just wondering would it be possible to make it so when you're in the menu of DBGU it actually pauses fights? because often I'm trying to heal but the opponent is still moving around and kicking the crap out of me while I'm trying to find the item
thanks

2013-04-07 11:35:42

Actually that was intentional, but it is kinda hard to hear what item you're on, so maybe.

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-07 16:42:47 (edited by death 2013-04-07 16:43:24)

For some reason I can't move in DBGU when jaws is selected as the default screenreader. Not sure about the other games though.

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2013-04-07 17:23:41

My first thought was that it might be jaws intercepting the arrow keys, but I checked the code and the game does install a keyhook if Jaws is running. So I'm not sure what's going on, there...

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-07 18:01:09

i always just use the main keyboard for moving, a s w and z
just out of curiosity why was that intentional? lol I've never seen it done that way before, even in the mainstream games like metal gear solid when you access the menus the game is paused

2013-04-07 18:07:35

Hm, guess I can just change the keys. It's not a big deal. Thanks for checking.:)

Silly Gohan, animals don't eat people. People eat animals.

2013-04-07 19:06:27

I remember it making sense at some point... Now I'm not so sure. lol

看過來!
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-04-07 19:42:32

oh, yep that definitely happens a lot these days, hahaha I've been getting those quite a bit for the last couple of days tongue