2007-06-30 23:58:58

I'm starting a new mud soon and wanted to get a feel for how many people would like to try it.  Any tips on how to get a good player base would be welcome.

Anyhow, the mud is going to be a medieval fantacy mud. For the time being the areas won't be origional but I plan to write many skills and spells.  Again, any tips would be welcome. I'll post here when I finalize the details.

2007-07-01 09:15:03

hi. is it that mindcloud thing? or did you actually create your own cdebase? I'd like to join. howto get a  good playerbase is try to advertise t on different forums and whatnot. sorry if there are spelling errors here, internet explorer 7 is bad for me when it comes to writing things properly, plus i can't check because my jaws decided to only say blank bank blank today. it happens occasionally and it's a little annoying.

2007-07-01 15:34:30

Austin,
I am definitely interested in playing and I also am curious as to how you are creating this mud.

2007-07-01 18:30:05

I'm using a precompiled version of the Smaug codebase.  For the time being, I'm using the default areas it comes with. I hope to add more soon and after I get it up and running, I plan to add more.  I've tested the codebase and everything's fully functional and ready for me to load on to the computer I'll be using as a surver. Anyone interested in building and with some programming experience would be a great help.  One warning to those thinking about building, it's not a learning curve, it's a learning cliff.

2007-07-07 00:01:37

Hi,

Isn't it about time that everyone realises something?

I am speaking basicly from oppinion here, but, correct me if I'm wrong.

All the midevil/fantacy/all, with the exception of very few, are the same, old retarded thing?
Alter Aeon, all the smog/diku/mindcloud/godwars/all other bases are mostly the same.  All have the same areas, same goals, and are just spin-offs of one another.  The SWR codebases are different, however, they do the same thing ammungst themselves.

The only mud that I can think, of that isn't like all the others, well 2 actually, is Godwars II.  Midevil yet fun, best ever combat system, classing and skills, and Miriani.  Most of you I'm sure know what that game is.

It's time for the world to get original.  No one likes thye same mud just with a different name and a different host.  Am I right?  Or am I wrong.  I'll dig up 3000000 muds and tell you the same thing about each one if I have to prove my point.

-Malloc

2007-07-07 02:09:16

That is a strong opinion, and it is neither right or wrong from my standpoint.
I am not the most experienced mudder here and I have never been exactly great at mudding. I do disagree that all muds are all the same. When we are talking codebases, of course muds are going to be similar; they are based off each other. However, the successful muds do have more modifications than others. I don't really see how muds can be extremely different from eachother. How different can interactive fiction games be from each other? They can be different themed, but many have the same commands. When  you say gw2 has the best combat system, I can't really disagree, but it has its flaws. Most decent combat systems will have pros and cons; just like anything in life. It's all a matter of opinion. That's probably why there are so many similar muds. One person really likes a mud, but there are just a few factors that really screw up their mudding experience. So, if they have the knowledge and the resources(codebases and programming knowledge), they go off and make basically that same mud with hopefully some changed names, and then they implement the changed factors that they didn't like in the original mud. Now, I've never heard of this before, but I'm sure it happened; it's logical and is something I would probably do if I had the time.

Now Austin,
I would be interested in helping you with building. I've never built before, but I know some programming If you are interested, post here or email me:
carrsk8[[@]]hotmail.com

2007-07-07 08:30:31

i know it's a shame. and then we have assault which i've only heard of and not actually played.

2007-07-07 10:16:36 (edited by cx2 2007-07-07 10:18:21)

I will say one thing -
A bomb may be retarded, a person cannot.

Forgive me if this seems odd, but where I'm from here in Britain using the term retarded is like referring to a black guy with a certain term derived from
Nigerian. You call anybody that here and you will probably get flattened.

Stupid on the other hand is a perfectly fine term, but is an extreme opinion.

There are medieval muds that are interesting in other ways such as Dark Legacy, which is like an MMO in mud form really. There is also Awakened worlds which
whilst it got dull was most definitely not medieval or fantasy. It would take a lot more than just setting up a code base and making small modifications
to make a new and interesting mud I will admit that, but all fantasy muds are by no means alike.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-07-07 16:18:55

I just thought I'd post again about the mud. Unfortunately, I'll be unable to start it. I've had some troubles with the host computer I was planning to use and will be unable to start itat this time. Perhaps somewhere in the future I'll have some luck.

2007-07-08 04:17:21

No one is willing to give me  examples of a difference of muds.

Everyones told me that all muds are different, and notallike, but, why?  I've not heard one example

On to the next point.  Yes, all systems have their own flaws.  I will agree with that.  Assault, for one, has a flaw.  Miriani, has flaws.  The game I spoke most highly of, GWSE, had it's flaws.

I'm not saying a perfect mud will ever exist, however, most muds are exactly as were stated above.  Most of them are the same mud with 2 modifications to make the admin happy.  I hate playing the same game with 120487457593 remotes, or the samve game with 0.  Isn't it all the same?

I'll do research to find differences in muds if I've got to to prove my point.

2007-07-08 05:00:31

I think a lot of them are similar in functionality, but not necessarily in execution. They're easier to truly knock off from one another though, as they often use the same templates (or similar ones). It's not such a bad way to start your life as a programmer if muds are your thing, either.
In my experience (honestly limited though, mind), there are many that are spookily familiar and thus boring, but some are fairly fresh. Their approaches to combat or levelling or interaction in general tend to differ.
Please bear one thing in mind, though: RPGs on the whole are fairly classified, separated into very distinct groups. There's RTS where your characters level up, map control, single-player control, party control; there's dungeon crawl, resource management, pure stat-grinder, and mixes of all those things done differently.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-07-08 05:23:40

I've found that the main difference in muds is in the skill and level system used.  There's newmoon with an entirely skill based system and alter aeon with a level based system.

2007-07-08 11:34:34

Mallock - read my post again.

There are a lot of muds that are simply copycats, but try www.dark-legacy.com as I said it is more like an mmo in mud form.

It includes a full crafting system to make your own gear, enchant it, a complex race/class/ancestry/star sign system etc. It is completely different.

I don't think anyone ever said *all* muds were different substantially, but there are those which are.

Also again see awakened worlds which is not fantasy

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.