2007-04-19 13:58:06

Experimental Games 2007. A new series of games free to download! Like one game in particular? Like them all? Ideas for extra features? Small mistakes?
Please leave your comments...

And: have fun with this new serieus of Experimental Games!

2007-04-19 18:56:31

I am a quadriplegic I played arcadium and also audio joust.  Also a member of the igda accessibility group.  I know Richard and Sander pretty well.

I'm trying to learn about audio games more and more but I realize you're not making them for people with physical limitations so my own board computer screen does not allow me to use the buttons to interact so I had to have someone else push the buttons for me while I was listening and aiming.

audio joust

I like that you added a feature where you have to actually follow the moving target so that you aim and the audience gets louder as you get closer that's an excellent feature for feedback.  I guess this would work for people with limited edition so they can see larger targets.  But for the complete blind directly to be another method.  It was very fun to play a have to say I succeeded after my second time the first joust I can't win the second one.  I always seem to get knocked off my horse maybe it's a little confusing what I'm supposed to do from the tutorial.  A little bit more clear instructions I think tweaking the blocking I'm not sure if I'm supposed to just aim and then hold the keys to the direction of the audio the same for blocking or if it's all just the same.  But it's a lot of fun.  Something games are not doing at all which is listening to the audio to play.

I'm working on a game currently top-secret acclaim games and David Peary put together a challenge.  Good like to reference your work if that is okay to clarify to other designers when I try to make games accessible for example what are good examples.  This is a great one.  If any of the students are interested they should join and help me about.  For more information please e-mail me.  Or talk to Richard or Sanders would be great to get your input.  At least playing these games and presenting at all know the exact concept but at least the people can understand what I'm talking about.

It would be exciting also because it's actually a game I'm working on for the first time toward accessibility from scratch.

arcadium

Arcadium seemed clear enough in the tutorial but when playing it's very difficult to tell if you are succeeding I think some indicators like feedback telling you that you actually did something right is needed.  I can hear clearly left to right but when I push the arrows that direction I still end up losing.  So I'm not sure if that's the right way to play or if there is a unclear tutorial.  Again someone is pushing the buttons for me.

Check out my web site to learn about what I'm doing.  I am also an artist game design student.  But not a programmer I need to start learning flash which I will soon.

I didn't get a chance to play any other games yet but these were great examples.  Again for both of them in the audio is more so for the jousting game not so much to the left or right but in the middle it's hard to tell if I should still hold either direction I think should be having the volume move that way more rapidly not in the middle so much.

Robert

www.RobertFlorio.com 
[email protected]

2007-04-19 20:37:18

my short reviews on some games:
not in any order.
call of duty the sound experience. good, but all sounds are mono.
i have a question, i am still not too clear on the bomb thing. i went through the boot camp but i just don't get the bomb part, he said that i did it successfully i don't know how. i held the controle down for 5 seconds and nothing seemed to happen and i had to wait about a minute!
also, he then says press space to go on to the next sinario but i press space and nothing happens. can someone help me on this.
fly swatter. nice concept, i like the mario refference.
moving left to right... swatting flies.
perhaps there should be an experimental game combining different elements of other experimental audio games. there could be an army level like on call of dut, there could be a fishing level... and of course... there should be a role playing element or 2... battling monsters in all new levels, completing quests... traveling in time to the different worlds like the river and army base.
and now back to the reivews!
big cahuga: grat, great, great, great fun! voice acting was good, and there are quite a few types of fish. perhaps there could be things you have to collect besides fish -- or a certain number of fish gives you things like extra time (levelup), and at different levels you go further up the river or whatever it is. this means more harder fish to catch, and boats to avoid by getting your line out of the water quick, and then... there's the unavoidable shark...... at about level 10 hehe.
panic at the pub: quite interesting, the way the sound moves around -- kind of behind and as i move it goes infront...  but oterwize a bit boring. perhaps there should be other things to do before the dukebox like battle some people who actully like the music and who want to take the pub over with it.
rythmic station: a question: i don't get the game, i looked at that tutorial, but when exactly  do i press the arro? which beat? i think there should be a trailor or something released, with beeps reprosenting arrow presses.
also, how do i move on to stage 2?  do i have to beat the stage on all 3 difficulty levels?
those are the games i've tried so far.
i think tere should really, be more. i really want to make a game... i wish richard and sander could teach me -- i have a better idea which i will not say here, but if you are a fan of fantasy, monsters, and battling, and sometimes non-violent things... look out (if i ever learn...)
thanks a lot for the games, and keep up the great, cool work -- and am looking forward to 2008's experimental games!
regards,
aaron

2007-04-20 08:30:20

Nice games, but I have some problems with Arcadium and Rythmic station:
Arcadium: I can't start the tutorial... When I press right arrow, nothing happends and the game gets jammed...

Rythmic station: I can't open the zip archive. It is corrupted

--
In an open world of Fences and Walls, who needs Gates and Windows?

2007-04-20 10:26:40

thgz wrote:

I can open the .zip file...try to download it again please.

2007-04-20 10:31:40

aaron wrote:

call of duty the sound experience. good, but all sounds are mono.

Yes. We asked the developers to resubmit the game with a different compression rate, but so far I haven't heard anything...I hope they submit it (soon).

2007-04-20 12:26:06

Sendermen wrote:
thgz wrote:

I can open the .zip file...try to download it again please.

I tied but it didn't help.

--

2007-04-20 12:59:28

Are you on some kind of protective network (school, work?) that filters and corrupts specific zip files containing .exe files? (This sounds rediculous, I know, but I've encountered this for 3 years at my work).

2007-04-20 16:30:49

i've tried arcadium, and one thing:
i want more! why only 3 levels?
are anyof the new experimental game developers on the forum?
i'm curious, and odn't know really another topic to post that question in.
thanks.

2007-04-20 16:38:02

Ok, now the Rythmic station opened... I downloaded the archive of about 10 times and restarted Internet explorer, then it worked...
Btw. Because I can't open the tutorial, can someone explain me how to play arcadium if someone knows...
Thanks.

--

2007-04-21 21:44:30 (edited by Ramon 2007-04-22 23:55:37)

aaron wrote:

are anyof the new experimental game developers on the forum?
i'm curious, and odn't know really another topic to post that question in.
thanks.

I am... I'm one of the two game designer/developers from the game called Audio Joust.

2007-04-22 20:22:39

audio joust is good... but too ahrd. i can't win any jousts. the croud is loud, i keep moving, but i still lose. either it's a bug or the croud ahs to be a little louder, i may submit an audio recording of it.

2007-04-22 21:28:24

aaron wrote:

audio joust is good... but too ahrd. i can't win any jousts. the croud is loud, i keep moving, but i still lose. either it's a bug or the croud ahs to be a little louder, i may submit an audio recording of it.

I'm thinking about making a new and improved version of the game... I'm going to start a new threat on this forum dedicated to Audio Joust. Be sure to check it out.

2007-06-24 01:08:44

how do I get to stage 2 on rythmic station?

2007-07-02 00:09:58

I need help with panic at the pub.

2007-07-03 21:51:17

I need help playing fly swatter.