2007-06-28 00:37:24

Hi,
I'm trying to develop games for the blind.  This includes both text and audio games.  I'm currently using c# aand was wondering what other game developers use.

Thanks

2007-06-28 11:55:03

I don't suppose there is a "best" language for audio game development. It all depends what you're going for. I know little to nothing about programming but as I understand it some types of games can be better developed using one language versus another. Justin Daubenmire of BSC Games developed most if not all his titles in Visual Basic, but that doesn't work for all games. I think most devs use C or C++ or C.net and languages like that. I'm hoping to try and learn programming one of these days but that might have to wait a while.

But wait, what's that? A transport! Saved am I! Hark, over here! Hey nonny non, please help!

2007-06-28 15:58:54

vb is good but is a nightmare with windows vista i have heard. c and c++ and stuff are good. if you just mean purely the best and not the easiest you'll go for those i think.

2007-06-28 20:36:11

As Bryan said, there is no "best language" for audio games, but advancing with the technology, definitelly a .net one. either c#, vb.net, or something like that.
Rob

----------
Robjoy, AKA Erion
Visit my site for all the things I do and to contact me.
You can also stop by for a slice of Pi

2007-06-29 14:46:07

Traditionally the C based systems were faster, but I gather with the newer versios that is changing. It all depends on what you know, are comfortable with, etc. The C based languages also traditionally offered a little more flexibility at the cost of requiring a little more work, so it is a mix of personal taste and what you want done.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-29 17:59:40

It looks like I've made a good choice with learning c#. It has access to microsoft sapi and directx.  Is vb.net better for audiogame development?

2007-06-29 18:46:23

Hi!

The choice between C# and VB .NET is entirely a matter of personal taste. I, for instance, think C# is more beautiful as a language.

Both languages offer access to the same runtime features. If you were really asking me which one to take, I would be in favour of C# because this was designed for .NET.

Greetings,
EternalGamer

In the hands of a gamer, word becomes weapon, argument becomes shield, and life becomes a quest.

2007-06-29 21:25:57

The only problem I'm having with c# is the braces. Does anyone know of an accessibe ide I could use to help? Most of the ones I've tried don't work well with jaws.

2007-06-30 08:46:16

yeah it looks like you've made a good decision. hope you'll get some good games going.

2007-06-30 15:05:54

Don't know if this will help or not, but you might find something about IDEs on www.blindprogramming.com

I hope they do have something, I might like to try C# one day having been taught mainly in C++.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-30 18:24:54

Blindprogramming.com wasn't much help. It seems that most of the pages are down and the jaws scripting section didn't have anything on ides.