2013-02-19 21:22:27

Thanks to everyone who helped me register directx, I'm really having fun now. But I have two main questions. First, my sister says that she doesn't see the people. She wanted to know if there was any way to change this. Second, my people are starving to death, even though I have several cooks working and I have about seventy meat in storage. What should I do? If it helps, I don't have any bread and I've just ran out of wine.

Role-play? Simulation? Strategy? Throw it at me! I'm all ears for the games!

2013-02-19 22:03:35

The problem with the people not showing up is because their activities are sort of a distance/time thing, rather than them actually moving, so showing them walking around would be tricky to program. (It could be done, but it wasn't high priority while the game was still being developed.)
I imagine that your people might be starving if you don't have enough peasants to carry the food to the tavern. One cook is usually enough (though I like to have two as soon as I can spare someone, in case one of them gets sick or injured, and another if I ever decide to build another tavern), but the peasants do all the transporting, so with out them the food stays in the storehouse.

(Aprone, I now find myself tempted to code animation for the people in BGT, lol. )

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2013-02-20 14:45:49

Someting else to consider: imho, you do't want to be mass-producing bread, wine, meat, and vegetables early on. You'll have to to stock your ship, but in the earlier stages it is better to just stick to meat and vebetables. THat will free up the slots you have with coopers, farmers, and bakers, as well as allowing your peasants not to have to grind flower when you need to get your little society up and going.

Best Regards,
Hayden

2013-02-20 22:03:56

Bare in mind that each of the four foods acts as a separate component in keeping your people alive, which means that they will work less effectively if only fed on one or two of the foods than on all four, since they might have enough of one set of esentials, but need to replenish on others.  This is why it is possible to have tons of meat in your storage house and having a cook in the kitchen working on it and still have people dropping like flies from starvation.

That having been said, there is no one strategy to winning and in the end you're just going to have to feel yoru way to victory based on what you know.  I like to keep the ocean near by and fish since it requires almost no efort and allows you to chop down lumber without worrying that you might be depriving yourself of one of your food sources.  Still, that might not make sense to everyone, so it's up for debate.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2013-02-21 15:08:10

@Juliette, what cae says is right, I expect it's a lack of peasants that is your problem. i personally always make certain to have many peasants wworking at once, usually about half my population.

another thing to considder is that the peasants also do a diverse range of things, they grind flour if you have a mill, they spin fir into yarn if you have a textile, not to mention transporting everything! so the more activities your doing the more  peasants you will need, indeed even while bakers, weavers, builders, farmers and some other jobs all will be peasants half the time, I would also recommend making certain you keep your numbers of full time peasants up.

@nocturnus, As to stratogy with food, I don't believe it's actually the case that your population will starve if they have only one food source so long as you have enough of that source in the tavern being served by your cook, they will also get less work done and need to eat more often. Each food source basically serves as an individual battery, and your population will get hungry and require more food when all batteries are low, so the more batteries you can keep filling the better.

I personally always do basic meat production (ie hunter and fisherman but no butcher), then building materials (ie saw mill and stone quarry)vegies, then bread, then worry about mines, butchers shops and textiles, then wine production last.

this means for most of the time I'll have three food sources available, but also means by the time I start bread making I've got enough of a population to have more peasants doing the increased work.

Also remember that in terms of farming, one farm produces quite a lot, and for a good while the best way to increase yield from one farm is assigning another farmer rather than building another farm.

Of course though, all of this is very individualized, and you might find other ways by experimenting. I for instance never bother with two cooks myself, since it always seems a waste of a usefull person to me, I just instantly reassign a cook if one is injured and always make certain my cook is a man so that they won't get pregnant, (castaways is amusingly one instance where you don't! want women in the kitchin at all), :d..

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-02-22 15:02:41

I've always found that funny. I'd think a cook could continue working whle pregnant. I guess it's a very arjuous kitchen?
big_smile

Best Regards,
Hayden

2013-02-23 15:03:25

Well actually haiden, medeaval and primative kitchins pretty much were! hard physical work, laying fires that could often be gigantic in size, hefting around animal carcases or massive cast iron pots and kettles (no steel or microlightt remember, ---- heck if you've ever actually kneeded bread dough yourself you will know how much muscle it takes.

A friend of mine, who did indeed know a lot of history did used to theorize that gender bias in labour only occurred in the upper classes up until the victorian era, simply because in a medieval society even staying alive took so much work you couldn't have half of your population exempt from some tasks. I'm not sure if she is correct though it certainly wouldn't surprise me, after all women working on farms is scene in the bible as is men cooking over fires.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2013-02-25 15:05:26

True, though I doubt we're talking cooking on that scale, and remember the bread comes pre-prepared from the bakery to begin with.

Best Regards,
Hayden