2007-06-20 18:39:37

Hello all,
I am interested to begin writing audiogame. I thought to write it with free tools available, where I can find the source code that I could play with? I looked at games written in C and such but didin't find. I have possibility to use openwatcom and cygwin at the moment, but other free tools can be tested and used. I thought game as an executable that could possibly be run with many OSes like windows (all 32 nbit versions), linux etc.
All suggestions are welcome, those that do not cost money because I mean to do free games nad I have no money to use.
regards
Markku

2007-06-22 07:32:35

If you
Why use cygwin?  From what I understand it simulates a unix environment, thus programs compiled under cygwin will only work from within cygwin (and presumably other unix-like OSes once compiled there).  agdev.org has some lame examples, and some of the experimental games on audiogames.net (sonar, nameless and soundpong are a couple) include c++ sourcecode using DirectX, Windows Multimedia and OpenAL respectively.

James

2007-06-23 12:38:01

Hello,
Thanks for your help. I will looka at those examples and looking for best way to do things for me. I prefer cygwin because I want to do games that can be ported to linux with minimal or no effort. I have understood that I can compile with cygwin executables that do not need cygwin1.dll present.
all other suggestions are still welcome
regards
Markku

2007-06-24 11:26:32

Perhaps you could write your stuff in java? It's cross platform, although not sure if it'd have to be altered a bit for each OS. Personally I use the mingw compiler for c++, but I haven't had a chance to compile my source code on a unix system, I guess it's if you begin to use the windows API it'll fail compiling on other OSes.
if what you're triing to do is make 1 binary that'll exclusively work on all systems without recompiling I don't think  if it'd be possible with c/c++, but perhaps with java?
Malthe.

2007-06-24 13:10:36

Hello,
I thought that a binary could be compiled separately on every OS, I've not used java a lot because I thik it requires a lot of typing, compared to, for example, Basic and c and pascal. It seems that examples at agdev.org don't exist, ie. I tried to download giftanum source code without result.
Malthe, what things are you using to play sound with mingw? Are they included with mingw installation or have they be downloaded separately?
     I have project at sourceforge to do Finnish audiogames and other for Finnish text adventures, I don't know if there is similar need for English projects.
regards
Markku

2007-06-24 18:14:15

Sorry, what I ment was you couldn't use a precompiled binary for windows on a unix system, sorry if I was unclear. Perhaps you could use
FMOD for audio.

2007-06-24 23:36:01

ItsAConspiraZ wrote:

If you
Why use cygwin?  From what I understand it simulates a unix environment, thus programs compiled under cygwin will only work from within cygwin (and presumably other unix-like OSes once compiled there).

No. Programs compiled with cygwin can work "standalone" without cygwin by putting cygwin1.dll in the same folder as the compiled executable is.

2007-06-26 23:35:42

Also for free tools a possible, though not great option if you wish to port to linux, is the Microsoft visual studio express versions. It is basically a free and royalty free version of Visual basic, C, etc.

As to examples I recall one site from a publisher though I forget which had examples, but only in VB sadly which isn't always the best option even if you plan to stick with windows.

Also remember Java will requir the virtual machine, and also has more overheads than a conventional program since it never truly compiles into an exe more is compiled on the fly as required I suppose.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-27 04:40:45

cx2 wrote:

Also for free tools a possible, though not great option if you wish to port to linux, is the Microsoft visual studio express versions. It is basically a free and royalty free version of Visual basic, C, etc.
Also remember Java will requir the virtual machine, and also has more overheads than a conventional program since it never truly compiles into an exe more is compiled on the fly as required I suppose.

All programs written in managed code are compiled into MSIL, an interpreted language for microsoft's crazy .net system.  Thus no programs natively written for vista or the .net framework are actual native machine code.  By default the express visual studio stuff compiles managed code.  If you want to write native win32 programs (which vista still supports but are now depricated in favor of managed code unfortunately) you have to download the microsoft win32 sdk (which might not be available anymore depending on how quickly they're phasing win32 out).  Therefore I wouldn't really consider java's overhead as I would've in the past, since machines are more capable of dealing with it quietly.  Besides, everything's going to be on a vm anyway *disturbed mutterings*.

James

2007-06-27 14:58:22

hmm, certainly not a good move. Oh for the old days *sighs wistfully*

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-27 17:22:21

Hello,

I use Python and Pygame (SDL for Python) for my audiogames.
http://www.python.org
http://www.pygame.org

It's a free open source script object-oriented language, slower than C or C++, but not that slow with today's computers, and the development is much faster. The syntax is very nice too, very light. I don't know if the use of the indentation for nesting the code is practical for a blind person, though.

If you use only Python and Pygame (and maybe FMod), the game will work in Windows and Linux without changes in the code. And for the Mac too, but I've never tried.