2007-06-14 04:20:38 (edited by olav 2007-06-14 04:35:16)

Hello all.
I

2007-06-14 17:21:12 (edited by dark empathy 2007-06-14 17:27:21)

Hi.

i've downloaded and unzipped the game and would like to try it out, but can't get either of the Jar files to run. double clicking (or in my case pressing enter), on them brings up a "Windows cannot open this file. To open this file windows needs to know what program created it" message.

I've tried using the "run" option in the start menue but that just bought up the same message.

I'm using windows Xp here, so I'd assume things would run okay, ---- but I need some extra program to run Ja files?

Appologies for my lack of technical knowhow where these things are concerned.

Btw, you might also try asking about testers on the audesy mailing list, which is probably the other main place where audio games are discussed apart from this forum. You can find the list at: http://audyssey.org/

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-14 18:17:16

Hi,
Long time since I've posted here, but how about the
Java download page?
Provided that I didn't screw up the BBCode, that is.
Not sure if it'll help you, but perhaps.
Malthe.

2007-06-14 18:20:06

Hi,
Thanks for the response.  I'll look into this today.  I haven't seen that error message before but I think I have an idea about what might be going on.  I'll try to get a fix uploaded later today.  I have my last final exam this morning so hopefully by about 3pm (pacific time) I'll have the new files ready for download.  Sorry about the trouble.  I'll post a new message once I get the new files on the download site.
Anyway, I'm off to go take a test. smile

2007-06-14 19:37:46

Exams? ooooh! nasty!

Being a post grad, I'm glad to be past all that. Let me know when you get things fixed and I'll be glad to try the game out, I'm also quite a fan of the ff soundtracks as well.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2007-06-14 22:02:37

Last time I checked you did need an additional install to run java programs which from the extension this seems like.

On the other hand if you are running windows XP you don't need winzip to decompress, although I usually install it for compression since you get additional options like makking a self extracting file or increasing the compression level.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-14 22:29:47

Well though i've obviously heard of the Jarva programming language, I've never come across files with the jar extention before so wasn't certain what to do with them.

I use 7zip for the same thing, also I have once or twice come across 7z or rar archives which you obviously need the program for, ----- though I've heard that the registered version of win rar will also handle 7Z archives.

2007-06-14 23:11:10

Hey,
Sorry for the delayed response.  I've tested the files on a couple other Windows XP systems and they seem to work.  Basically, the .JAR files are executable archives that contain the Java class files.  When double-clicked, they should launch the main program file and initiate the game's processes by running this code and reading the sound files from the sounds directory.  It's a little unorthodox, but it's worked for me in the past.  I had to separate the sound files from the jar archives because of space limitations on my school's servers.  First, I tried to make each version of the game a separate download but I only had enough space for one sad.  (Sorry for the techno-speak...)

So I guess my best advice would be to make sure that you have a current version of Java installed on your computer.  Windows XP should by default recognize JAR files as executable as long as Java is set up correctly.  The link posted above should have the latest version.  It should have a pretty good setup wizard to make sure it's properly configured.  I'll continue to look into this, so If that doesn't work hopefully I'll have a better idea for a fix later smile.

Also, to all you Mac users out there, I just tested the game on an older Mac on campus.  The game was running pretty buggy and froze when I tried to quit.  I'm pretty sure that this was a problem with either the older hardware or the old version of Java that was installed.  Nevertheless, I'd recommend that if you are using a Mac that you do not download this game until I've resolved these issues.  Windows users should be fine.

Anyway, I'm heading over to the computer lab to work on this some more.  I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks

2007-06-15 18:48:46

hi,
i want more levels, perhaps some sort of trophy system, and wow i am impressed with it so far. i will answer the questions in my next post because i can't remember them. but  i will answer them!
thanks olive for starting and creating this project!

2007-06-17 15:12:55

Hey all,
Well, after a week of finals and a boring graduation ceremony I'm finally done with college!  Well... not quite done.  I still have to finish up this research project and submit it by Thursday, the 21st.  I really appreciate all the feedback I've gotten so far. smile

In response to a few suggestions, I've added more instructions and hints to the readme.txt file included in the ZIP file.  So if the spoken instructions in the game aren't helpful enough, these new additions to the readme file should offer some more help.

To dark empathy:  I was just wondering if you have gotten the games working yet.  I've looked into the error message you were getting and it seems like every Java developer forum I've looked at suggests that this error is most commonly caused by either not having the Java Runtime Environment installed or it is not properly configured.   Installing the newest version of Java should fix this.  Hopefully you can get it to work because I'd love to hear what you think about the project.

To aaron:  I'm glad you enjoyed the games!  It's still pretty early in development but If enough people show interest in the project, perhaps the next version will include multiple levels and play styles.  I really like your idea of a trophy system.  I'll definitely include something like this in the next version.  I'm looking forward to your responses to the questions. smile

To MAC users:  I spent about a full day trying to fix the compatibility troubles I was having with MACs.  JAVA's "write once, run anywhere" credo was one of the reasons I chose the Java programming language to develop this game.  However, it appears that the way Java handles sound behaves differently on MACs than PCs.  I can't really find a way around this without developing an entirely separate version for MACs.  So for now, only Windows users will be able to play these games.  After I get some more feedback on the games and polish this prototype for the ASSETS conference, I can start working on version 2.0, which should be a full fledged game, and I'll do my best to make it compatible with MACs as well as PCs.

Anyway, I'd love to hear from more of you.  Every bit of feedback I get can help me improve the design and learn more about audio game development.

Thanks