2007-06-02 11:21:16

I've placed a PDF file of my recently completed PhD entitled "The Acoustic Ecology of the First-Person Shooter" at the following address:

http://sirfragalot.com/mainsite/phd.html

Mark Grimshaw

2007-06-02 13:57:33

guys, ignore this post. this is a spam bot, no exceptions, and no doubt about it either.

2007-06-02 15:38:25

Lol

2007-06-04 16:34:13

well i don't exactly know. it at least replies to posts which most of these malicious robots do not.

2007-06-04 20:50:41

Wouldn't a spambot reply to a post almost instantly(if it replied to it at all)?

Official server host for vgstorm.com and developer of the Manamon 2 netplay server.
PSA: sending unsolicited PMs or emails to people you don't know asking them to buy you stuff is disrespectful. You'll just be ignored, so don't waste your time.

2007-06-04 22:12:01

is this a spam bot in that case?
sir fragalot, if you are not a spam bot, theen i appolagize.
In that case, i will discuss first person shooters.
We do have some accessible ones. shades of doom has a lot of petential. there is also audioquake, which is fun because a star wars mod exists which adds light sabers, blasters, etc.
thanks.
regards,
aaron

2007-06-05 16:18:51

This is not a spam bot. And I will be reading this PhD and comment on it when I have time.

2007-06-05 22:03:10

I daresay that such a quick dismissal of this post as having been posted by a spam-bot says a lot of potentially nasty things about the community here as a whole, but which would be unfair if applied to it on the whole.
In short: guys, don't immediately dismiss something as a spam-bot just because it's got a link and subject matter that isn't 100% up your alley. It conveys the illusion that you are shallow or overly judgmental, and we really can't afford to give people that opinion of us on the whole.
When I first saw the topic I was curious, a trifle doubtful, but not NEAR enough to cry "spam-bot!". If nothing else, if you have doubts, keep quiet and let it get hashed out, then speak up later. It's either that, or you'll have egg on your face.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2007-06-06 18:46:35

ok.
in that case, sorry guys. i don't really want to make the community seem well... bad.

sir fragalot, if you are reading this, then... well... i apolagize once again. and, jade (i think it was0), thanks for that opinion. i will rember that. i promice
that!

2007-06-08 08:22:29

This spambot accepts the apology.  I can't think of any reason why my post would be regarded as spam -- it is, after, all, on-topic.  I haven't been a part of this forum for some time but, in the early days, did have an irregular email correspondence with Richard, one of the founders here.

I have a colleague who has expressed an interest in audio-only FPS games.  You mention shades of Doom and Audioquake -- any links I can pass on to him?

Mark 'intellibot' Grimshaw

2007-06-08 16:55:29

I don't have any links, per se, but there's another audio FPS called TechnoShock that he might like. I'm fairly sure it's on the list so that one can visit its site and such.
Also: as soon as I saw "ecology" I was curious, because I automatically thought of something natural/environmental when I heard it. However...when I realized that the term was referring to the acoustic nature of games, I knew it wasn't a spam-bot. Someone doesn't try to dress stuff up like that for nothing, after all. I actually visited the site and saw a brief overview of the thesis. Didn't read the thesis, though, as .pdf files are notoriously annoying for many of us. (at least they are for me)

2007-06-08 17:36:58

sir fragalot:
for audio quake, go to
http://agrip.org.uk
you need the actual game of quake to play it though. as far as i know ya can't buy it any more, so i had to get it cracked/sent to me. grrr
if you want shades of doom, go to www.gmagames.com.
by the way... do you have msn or skype?
just curious.
and mark, i am also feeling gilty... very... gilty. guy... i can't... believ... you guys are right. i just don't know how to redeam myself here accept apolagizing, and i am glad it's accepted, but i.. still feel gilty. technoshock... i do not know the link for. also... when "audio game maker" is released, i will make a first person shooter.
thanks.
regards,
the gilty aaron.

2007-06-08 18:00:14 (edited by sirfragalot 2007-06-08 18:09:22)

Jayde:
Thanks for the links.  Is there a better format than PDF that I can provide on the site?

Mark

2007-06-08 18:01:49 (edited by sirfragalot 2007-06-08 18:09:37)

Aaron:
Thanks for the links.  I have skype.

Mark.

2007-06-08 19:41:57

HTMLizing it or making a downloadable .txt file would be good, unless you've got a lot of graphics and images and stuff. PDF is very safe, and if you'd rather not convert I totally understand, but it's a bit tricky to navigate. I myself actually don't know at all how to navigate a .pdf file.

2007-06-08 22:09:54

PDF allows me to restrict some of the copying that may be done.  And, yes, there are a few graphics.  Once I've published a bit more from it I may then consider converting it to html.

Mark

2007-06-08 23:12:04

I believe there are ways to make PDFs more accesssible, try looking up accessibility on the Adobe site I believe they have some info.

I'm afraid there has been a recent bout of spam on the forum in the last few months which has made some of the members here a little jumpy, don't take it personally.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-06-09 07:59:29 (edited by sirfragalot 2007-06-09 08:22:37)

OK -- I've uploaded a new PDF file which is apparently tagged and, as before, has "text access for accessibility tools".  I don't have the full Acrobat (only Reader) so can't see some of the options as described in the Adobe site you pointed me to.  I'm using OpenOffice to convert to PDF so am limited to what is there.  Perhaps someone could tell me if it's any better.  As it's grown in size from 3MB to 4MB I'm assuming something's been added.

I should also add, for those interested in researching audio/sound in digital games, that I maintain a bibliography at:
http://shiva.smst.waikato.ac.nz/wikindx3/

As a sighted person, I've no idea how accessible that site is.

Mark

2007-06-09 18:03:05

I forget how, but those of us using adobe can turn the pdf into a text file.  Also, adobe 7.0 and later work with Jaws.

2007-06-09 21:47:30

Austin:
There is an option under file to save the file as a text file. Under file as in the file menu that is.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.