2012-11-16 22:05:13

Dark:

When you lock the screen, you'll get a game centre notification when someone plays.  All the notifications you got while the screen was locked will show up on the lock screen, the screen that you get before you slide to unlock.  You can also go to the bars at the top of the screen (where battery life etc is shown) and pull down with three fingers to see your notifications.  You can feel free to start another online game. When your screen is locked, you will get notifications for all the games you're playing. When you're in lost cities, it will show you a list of all the games you're playing, and you can toggle between them at will.

2012-11-16 22:10:04

Hi fastfing, that's very handy to  know,  thanks.

I have already found the notification area and the swipe thing, indeed that was how I  started the game. my concern is however if the screen is locked and the phone has gone into standby as it were,  will it buz or something to let me know when  matheus is back?

this would be very handy to know when playing games while doing something else, indeed right now I'm watching startrek tng on my  desktop with the phone beside me in lock mode.

Again, sorry for the newbie question here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-17 00:55:24

Hi dark, I'm really sorry I had to leave, unfortunately the game doesn't have a chat function so we can't talk while playing, but oh we'll, at least there are emoticons to represent the status. Lets see who will win the game! Ah aha.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-11-17 12:42:27

well we saw, dam cards hate me! cursed they is! big_smile.

Actually a very good game generally, I appreciate the stratogy, I'll put a page for it in the db soon.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2012-11-17 18:21:32 (edited by fastfinge 2012-11-17 18:23:42)

Dark:

Yes, even if the phone is in standby, you will still get a vibration and sound for your notifications.  The only time you won't is if the phone is in silent mode or do not disturb is turned on. 

If you're getting iPhone stuff in the DB, the following are a list of other games you might want to look at that I have used with at least a little success: poker wheel, where's ducky, Accessible Mine Sweeper, Aurifi, PapaSangre, Pingpong, Soul Trapper, Stem Stumper, Bop It, Sudoku4all, Dimensions, Fruitmachine, Choice of Romance, Choice Of The Vampire, Frotz, Alter Ego, Choice of the Dragon, Choice of Broadsides, Mobile Mud, Popcorn, SpellingBee, Easy+ Crosswords Free, 7 Little Words, Word Warp, Hangman, Mobile Rice, Moxie 2, Whirly Word, Wurd, Adaptive Trivia, Lifeline, D20 Rules, Fantasy Hero, Wiz Choice, Audio Invaders, Godville, IBlackjack HD, Lightsaber, Your Toast, King's Corner, King Of Dragon Pass, Meanwhile, Apex Patrol, Lost Cities, Way Walkers, and Akinator.

I'm sure there are other accessible games available, those are just the ones I happen to have installed on the phone sitting next to me.  As you can see, other than for muds, the iPhone is my primary gaming device these days.

edit: inserted a missing comma.

2012-11-19 10:56:22

Well it's not really  that we're suddenly "getting Iphone stuff in the db"  it's more that sinse I personally happen to now own an Iphone, it makes playing games and writing entries   for them actually possible.

My only concern is that where as on a pc I'd frequently test a game just to write an entry, I  can't do this on the Iphone sinse I believe once  you've downloaded an ap, even a free one your stuck  with it perminantly with no way to delete it, which is why so many aps don't! have demo versions as on the pc.

if I'm wrong about this let me know. however this does mean I have to limit myself to games I will actually! want to play at  least for the time being unless there is a way to try a free game and then remove it.

If this is so, i'll probably not be downloading word or puzzle type games,  particularly ones I have access to on a pc much as I might want to test them for the database.

That is quite the list.  choiceofgames has a page already, as does  pappasanga (indeed I've just  downloaded the night jar),  as  does king of dragon pass, soul trapper and stem stumper.

Frotz or muds I might investigate later when I get a bluetooth keyboard, does vo speak incoming text? particularly with the muds.

Also, how accessible is "somewhat accessible?" ie, does it fall into the db guidelines for accessibility which state a blind person would be able to play it solo with aprox the same effort as a similar sighted person?

i know some in that  list are fine such as the choiceofgames, but how about others (I've heard kings corner doesn't have as easy an interface as lost cities, and  people have mentioned getting stuck with soul trapper or orifie).

How accessible are the other games on the list? I recognize godville, which I admit could probably be more fun on an Iphone than  in windows explorer because of notifications and updates, assuming that vo will read everything, and if any other games like the fantasy hero one, way walkers or  apex patrol are interesting sort of rpg type affairs let me know, sinse I'd be interested to try them myself provided they're accessible with vo.

2012-11-19 11:39:16

Hey all,
If anyone has heard phil's iOS tutorial he converted from Youtube, you notice that yes, indeed there's a soundtrack. You can confirm this by turning off VoiceOver and Gasp, music.
I've looked at the "lostcitiesapp" Twitter and they say that with their game VoiceOver was having ducking issues, so they had to disable the soundtrack in the meantime until it gets fixed. However, how do I play the tutorial? I started a game and nothing happened in that regard. Still, I'm kinda disappointed in the soundtrack situation since apparently it's an Apple issue.

2012-11-19 14:01:34

Shame about the soundtrack,  if it gets fixed I'll update the db entry accordingly.

I noticed in King of dragon pass the music can skip a little when vo is speaking, especially when transitioning betwene different screens, I wonder if this is a general vo problem? Hopefully it'll be fixed in the future sinse having a system for visually impared access that buggers up music is a little silly, though come to think of it I didn't notice too much skipping when  playing the lost cities tutorial.

As to the  tutorial, find the tutorial button  at the bottom of the rules, or I think it displays if you choose to listen to the voiced version of the rules. You can choose to either  "listen" or "read" if you read, tutorial messages about the game will be displayed in the game info window and vo will read them. If you choose to listen, you will get the rather cool music and voice acting.

You can also hear the tutorial directly, speaking all the stuff it says in the game and telling you what you need to know using the links on the db page or on the pcs games Iphone list.

hth.

My id is darktenor if you want a game.

2012-11-19 16:55:20 (edited by fastfinge 2012-11-19 16:56:16)

Hi Dark:

All of the games I listed can be played to some kind of victory condition by an unassisted blind person.  By somewhat accessible, I mean problems like buttons aren't labelled, screen elements are positioned oddly, the screen doesn't always refresh when it should (tap up in the battery bar and back down on the screen to fix this), and other similar problems. 

Yes, you can delete an app you downloaded.  To do this, double tap on the app icon on the home screen, and hold down until you hear a rising three note tone, and voiceover announces "editing apps."  Then, lift your finger.  Now, double tap again on the app you want to remove, and the phone will ask if you are sure.  Until you exit editing apps mode, any app you tap will prompt you if you are sure you want to remove it.  To get out of the editing apps mode, press the home button. 

As for Way Walkers and Apex Patrol, they are also sold by Choice Of Games, and thus perfectly accessible.  So I guess maybe just add them to the choice of games page on the database?  Though that does not seem at all fair to them, as far as I am concerned.  We don't force all of the L-works games to share a single database entry.  Choice Of Games is a game developer just like L-Works, so why do they only get a single page?  They have games that are fantasy, science fiction, historical fiction, mystery, adventure, and more.  I'm not trying to be overly critical, I'm just making a strongly felt observation.  Keep up your good, and largely unassisted, work with the database Dark!

edit: typo fix.

2012-11-20 15:16:22

Hi fastfing.

Maybe contacting the devs about those wonky lables and such would be a plan, indeed I've spent some time doing that myself for brouser games, but it's good to know that those games you mentioned are accessible, and also that I can try a game and remove it (godville I liked in concept, and I would be interested to see the Ios ap, but don't think i'll play it constantly).

the principle reason i gave  choiceofgames one page is that at the time I didn't have an Iphone and was working purely from the perspective of their   website, not from the perspective of their  Iphone aps. thus, i considdered themin the same perspective as Fighting fantasy project, project aon or the blind adrenaline cardroom. You  ah however right that their individual games are separate entities when considdered on the Iphone, so I will see about creating individual pages for them, ---- which would also make the licensing easier sinse then games like    ierie estate  agent  could just be counted as shareware. Sinse however there are lots of their games this might take a while to add them all.

Just one question, do all the games have virtually the same interface? therefore, if I downloaded for instance ierie estate  agent or city in the clouds, would it have a similar interface to choice of the dragon or their recent starship game? 

I assume so, sinse their online offerings I tried did, but I'm not sure.

Also, is there any advantage (other than portability), to buying those games that have a free version online such as choice of dragons or choice of the vampire?   or is it just because of the way apple works that the games aren't also free in the ap store.

As I said, I don't really want to spend money on games that I can play on my pc, though i'd be interested in their paid  on the Iphone.

2012-11-20 15:53:18

hi dark!
my personal opinion is that there should be a db entry for choice of games and all of the games produced by them and "hosted games" which is the same
thing but they name it hosted games because they publish games that others have made. i think that there should be only 1 single entry because there
are so many entries in the db already, if the ios games are separated from the rest, making things easier to find
then it's more logical to add all games, but i'm not even sure if it's needed... all these games that use choicescript
use the same interface, so if you play choice of dragons/broadsides (which are free titles) or choice of zombies, heroes rise, etc which are new
titles it's all the same, you have the stats button, text displayed during the game, your choices and a next button, there's nothing inacessible or
hard to use. some of their games are available online, however in the new games they make only the first chapter available online,
so i recommend buying the apps because you can play offline and it saves your progress automaticaly. you can delete any game or app just fine by going
to the home screen, finding the page with the app, and double tapping but holding your finger in the screen in the second tap until you hear a series
of 3 beeps and it says editing apps, then just find the app you want to delete and instead of saying double tap to open you will be told that
when double tapping you can choose to remove it, to get out of this "editing apps" screen just press the home button. in this mode you can also drag
apps inside others creating folders, for example you could have a folder named choice of games with all the text games there.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-11-20 17:30:14

Yeah, as said above, the big advantage to paying is it saves the progress of your game. Also, in Way Walkers, when the sequel comes out, your options in year 2 are going to depend on your save data from year 1.  If you haven't played that game yet, by the way, do so.  In my opinion, it's by far the best of all of the Choice Of Games Titles. Best writing, best story, most complex, etc.  Although, I haven't been able to achieve complete victory in that game. I'm wondering if I'm just bad at it, or if because of the sequel, a perfect ending is not possible.

2012-11-20 18:09:55

thanks for the info about the different aps drg.

With choiceofgames, that  was my initial feeling as I said, that sinse they had choice script and were hosting games by other people, it wasn't worth creating a page for each individual title. I can however see advantages both ways now that their newer games are  shareware.

I'm not exactly sure what to do about this myself. Maybe It would be better to follow the same model  with choice script as we have used for if games,for interactive fiction games, ie, have one entry for the interpreter for the free games (in this case the main choiceofgames page ), and then add different ones for their commercial titles such as ierie estate agent, city  in the clouds and their recent starship game, though with waywalkers, choice of romance and their other games that have sequals (though I know waywalkers was buy a different author using choice script), I'm not sure.

Maybe  it is time for a pole on this question?

edit: okay, now I'm confused! I've looked up choiceofgames on the ap store. Most of their games were there, but instead of choice of intreagues, choice of romance appeared twice, one version free and one paid, and from the info they seemed to be the same, ---- god knows what's happening there!

Broardsides and dragon were both free at least as well, though the others weren't, however none of the other choice script games appeared at all, which is most   confusing.

2012-11-20 19:12:57

Hi dark, search for hosted games, they use this name to publish games like way walkers, apex patrol, the race, etc that were created by other users. The reason for you to see two versions of choice of romance is because with the paid one I believe it comes with choice of intrigues, and the free one allows you to make an app purchase to get the second part. Personally I don't like in app purchases, I prefer to buy the app itself because sometimes people have problems restoring in app purchases, and you don't have this problem with the full version, but if you're getting for example the second chapter of a game sometimes you have no other option.

contact info
email:
matrheine at gmail . com

2012-11-20 21:19:41

aH, THANKS ON BOTH OF THOSE POINTS, THAT CLEARS THINGS UP.

i THINK i'LL HAVE TO PLAY SOME OF THEIR GAMES AND THEN MAKE A DECISION ON WHETHER THE SINGLE PAGE WILL DO OR IF THEY NEED MORE OF THEM.

2012-11-23 23:28:58

Personally, I think it's better to do a single page for ChoiceOF games and put something in the description that tells the reader that there's a whole set of games they can find at the web site. Over time, more and more games are going to be added, and it seems like it would get too cluttered trying to put them all in the database when you can get the same information by looking at their site. Unless something changes drastically, the interface for all the games is pretty much the same accessibility-wise.

If you haven't tried any of their games,I suggest starting with Choice Of Broadsides or one of the other free ones. Broadsides still remains one of my favorites. The quality and content varies from game to game depending on the author and your personal taste for what kind of game you want to play. Overall I'm impressed and look forward to every game that comes out.

Lost Cities is addicting too! tongue

2012-11-24 14:57:34

I have played choice of the dragon online, and that was fun, I might see about the ios version and then making my mind up about the db.

It's  the fact that several are sold separately that makes the difference.

2012-12-06 12:12:44

Hi.
So, I bought the game for a week a go, and this is really great. This is said by a person who normally don't like card games! smile
The rules are pretty simple, but I find those pretty difficult to explain to people who haven't played the game. I have only wann the game twice, and I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong. smile I haven't played online yet and I'm not sure my game center works as it should, but I'll configure it and let you know what I'm called there.
Did I misunderstood something, or can you have multiple games running at the same time?

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen