2006-08-12 18:18:27 (edited by arjan 2006-08-12 18:19:27)

hi,
this would be a cool idea for an audio game of some sorts.
i found out about this game a while ago while at a sighted friend's house. it is not accessible, and requires the mouse. it is a lot like quake but with different modes, weapons and also there are vehicles. i am not sure but as far as i know there's no traps. i don't believe it has a single player, but that's just me. the game modes are such like:
deathmatch and team deathmatch, if you know quake i don't need to explain this. by the way, when you kill someone, it is called fragging too. you simply kill everyone, in team deathmatch you kill the opposing team's players.
capture the flag, you have 2 teams you are either in the blue or red team and must capture the opposing team's flag and bring it to your home. if you do so your team scores. might remind you of a school game of some sorts, but now with sniper rifles, rocket launchers and lightning guns. i know these are quake's weapons but they are in here too. there are also weapons that are not in there, like a flak cannon or mine layer or asmd shock rifle.
onslaught, this is a mode i really liked, because it has loads of sound. it seems to me to be the only mode where you can go in vehicles. vehicles have weapons too, like a goliat tank has a machine gun. you must destroy the opposing team's power core by way of linking them to power notes. thus you must have at least 3 or so power notes in possession before you can attack the opposing team's power core, because the power notes link to the power core of your opponents. power notes can be destroyed, however.
assault, is a mode where the one team is the attackers, and the other is the defenders. the attackers must retrieve nexus missiles by first opening doors, do some other stuff and such. the defenders must stop the attackers. if the attackers do not achieve their goal within a limited time, the defenders win. if the attackers achieve their goal in time, they win.
i would really like to see an audio game like this, it will bring some bang to the audio games market. particularly the modes assault, onslaught and capture the flag, because team dm and dm you can always play on quake. still, that would not be bad either. i could actually know what happened because there is lots of sounds and there is also a voice saying stuff like red flag taken, or blue power core is under attack. the onslaught mode also features a really good song. i could know what was going on, which i was really grateful about since it is a very cool game, but I'd really like to play myself.
i don't know the exact website to get more information about this game, but if you search for unreal tournament in search engines like google you'll find it.
regards:

2006-08-12 18:48:53

Unreal tournament is the multiplayer only counterpart to Unreal, not sure if they ever got around to continuing the single player Unreal line.

Before my sight loss I played the original Unreal, was quite nice. I n0oticed one map had certain pads that made a voice announcement of a number when you stood on them, which was in 3D audio too. It might be possible to adapt UT in a similar way to audio quake, although I'm not sure if it is open source.

The mainstream has had some other fun modes:

Team fortress
Your team has to control certain "checkpoints" to score points, not sure whether this is timer based, score based or options for both to trigger victory. Some games have included vehicles for this too.

Capture the chicken
You score points only when you are holding the "chicken", and holding the chicken makes it impossible to hide. Once you die the chicken is set loose to be captured again.

There's also one I can't recall the name of where one player was the "hunted" and you have to protect him and get him to a certain location while the other team tries to kill him.

Some more multiplayer modes in audio games would definitely be fun.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-08-12 19:50:44

the hunted mode sounds way cool. capture the chicken sounds like a mode in unreal tournament,which is called bombing run, it's like capture the flag but there is only one ball which both teams can take. the team fortress also sounds familiar to me, perhaps like one called double domination. the teams had to own control points for 8 seconds and they score.

2006-08-12 20:17:09

The fun with capture the chicken is it isn't team based, purely free for all. Everyone chases the guy with the chicken, then when he gets killed it's a free for all to get the chicken. Means you have to be clever to survive long with the chicken, and it's utter mayhem when he's dead with everyone fighting in the same spot.

The double domination sounds about right for the fortress type. Usually though the maps would be set up with each checkpoint being linked to a certain team I believe, so each team has one side of the map then they have to try and defend their points whilst overrunning the enemies.

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2006-08-12 21:18:19

ya, they are similar but not entirely the same. capture the chicken sounds cool, although in unreal tournament there isn't one like that. of course, this would confuse it with the capture the flag, but it could have been in it with a name like chicken fight or whatever.

2007-04-29 10:17:11

note: it's topic resurection time.
i just found some very old variants of deathmatch which are quite interesting as well.
mutant: one perso is the mutant - the super person who has increased health, all weapons and endless ammo. but the mutant must kill others as his health will slowly drop and regains only when someone is fragged. so, all the players must run away from the mutant while the mutant chases the players. the mutant is the only one who can be killed by others, but the mutant can kill anyone but the bottom feeder. the person with the lowest score is the bottom feeder who canno be killed by the mutant
last man standing: a mode very similar to deathmatch, howeve if you die, you cannot respawn. this turns out that the last two players are left and one kills another. that person is declared the wnner.
invasion: a wave of bad guys need to be blasted as you and your friends battle them, with each wave getting more and more harder monsters.