2007-03-18 17:58:51

Hi,
I have a question about topspeed2:
My friend wants to hoste a topspeed game. But, how does he open ports on his router? He knows that he has to go to
http://192.168.1.1
But, what does he do from there?
Oh and also, how do you find out the password for your router? Is it the same as your network key, or is it different?
Oh yes, and one more thing:
My friend is with BT Broadband. So would his password be adminbt?
Thanks.

2007-03-18 18:05:06

it's different from router to router based on the type, from what i've heard.

2007-03-18 19:51:18

The default password for many routers is "admin". Sometimes you have to specify a username, that could be "admin" too, or it may be left blank.

Search for something like "NAPT", "Port Forwarding" or "Applications & Gaming".

2007-03-19 08:41:51

Hello!

On my router(I've got a netgear one) the username is by default admin, and the password is just password.

When opening ports on this router I click on port forwarding, then add new service.
Then I click on add custom service. since topspeed isn't listed in the default services list.

then you'll have to enter a start port and ending port for the service you want to open. in the readme for tospeed there is information on wich ports to open.

then you'll have to enter the ip address for the computer you want to open the service for.
the easiest thing to do if ou want your ip is go to a command prompt by typing command in a run dialog box.
then type
ipconfig

in the text you get on the screen you see the 192.168 ip-adress your router gave the computer. type that address in the ip adress field.

click on add service, and then apply changes.

This is at least how I do it with my netgear. I don't know about other routers since I've never tried them.

/Kristoffer

2007-03-19 12:43:50 (edited by cx2 2007-03-19 12:45:11)

Even easier and more screen reader friendly assuming windows XP:
Go to settings and open network connections
Locate the connection you use for the lan that the router is hooked up to, usually "local area connection" but may also be wireless
Open the context menu and go to status
Move to the support tab
Your IP should be displayed there.

On other versions you may or may not get a result by going to run and entering "winipcfg"

cx2
-----
To live by honour and to honour life, these are our greatest strengths and our best hopes.

2007-04-01 18:09:45

Hi,
On my router, there are lots of boxes.
Do I have to have the saim ports for the opening and ending?
Thanks.