2012-07-24 15:21:28

Hi all!

I am happy to announce that BGT version 1.2 is now available for download! Aside from introducing joystick support which has been a long requested feature, this is also a very important security upgrade for several reasons. I recommend all of you to recompile your existing games with this version as soon as you can. Now, let's have a peak at the change log as always:

Version 1.2 (revision 1):
* Modified the internal encryption key scheme to be considerably more secure.
IMPORTANT! The encryption functions are not backwards compatible. You will not be able to decrypt any data encrypted with earlier revisions of BGT, using this version. These measures were taken to make it harder for hackers to steal keys from memory dumps.
* Updated the script interpreter to the latest version which fixes some more bugs found by users, and adds the following features:
1. A method called reserve to the array object which is useful for optimizing performance because it preallocates memory for future elements.
2. A method called is_empty to the string, the array and the dictionary objects which sometimes is a more efficient shortcut than checking the length.
3. A method called get_size to the string, the array and the dictionary objects. In the two former cases, get_size is the same as the length method.
4. Some great optimizations to the array methods that call user defined functions internally, such as find and sort_ascending/sort_descending.
* Added joystick support.
* Added some new functions to perform script code profiling.
* Added an instance object that allows you to ensure that only one copy of your game is running (thanks Damien).
* Aded a function called set_error_output which enables you to have internal engine errors automatically printed to a file throughout the execution of the program, along with some other information such as the script call stack when the error happened.
* Added a method called get_headers to the http object that retrieves only the headers from a given location on an http server (thanks Nikola).
* Added two functions (set_sound_master_volume and get_sound_master_volume) to adjust the volume of the entire sound output in a given game.
* Added two functions (screen_reader_set_library_path and screen_reader_unload_library) which provide you with more control over how BGT uses the dll files for System Access and NVDA (sponsored by Lukáš Hosnedl).
* Added an optional parameter to the input_box function to fill the box with some initial text (thanks Claudio).
* Added a global script property called SCRIPT_EXECUTABLE which retrieves the full path to the program (sponsored by Lukáš Hosnedl).
* The set_sound_decryption_key method now opens the default audio device implicitly if a device isn't already open.
* Reduced the size of precompiled game executables a little more.
* The maximum stack size has been increased from 2000 to 10000 functions.
* Updated the performance optimization tutorial with a section on reserving memory in arrays.
* Added support for progress bars with beeps to the audio_form include class (thanks Christopher).
* Added an optional parameter to the non-extended play methods in the sound pool class, to allow these to create persistent sounds as well (thanks Ryan).
* Added support for multiselection enabled listboxes in the audio_form include class (Thanks Damien).
* Added several new methods and constants for retrieving, setting and managing control information in the audio_form include class (Thanks Damien).
* Added support for additional keys such as right control and NumPad Enter to be used in the audio_form class (Thanks Damien).
* Improved several speech and keyboard behaviors in the audio_form class (Thanks Damien).
* Changed a behavior in the audio_form so that now only one progress bar in the form may be flagged as global (Thanks Damien).
* Changed the name of the redist/screen-readers directory to redist/screen_readers, as it was originally supposed to be.
* Fixed a crash in the load_from_memory method of the sound object if invalid input is given (thanks Nikola).
* Fixed a bug that would cause sound cloning to be performed incorrectly if a file with the same name was loaded both from a pack file and from disk.
* Fixed a bug in the write method of the logger class where a file would still be written to even if the log was empty (Thanks Damien).
* Fixed a bug in the logger class that caused line breaks not to be written correctly (Thanks Damien).
* Fixed several crashes in the audio_form class (Thanks Damien).
* Fixed a bug in the audio_form include class where the cursor of a listbox would reset if adding an item to a list (Thanks Damien).
* fixed a bug in the audio_form class whereby the set_tts_object method would fail if the form was active (Thanks Damien).
* Fixed a bug in the audio_form class that pasted multiline text into a single line field (Thanks Damien).
* Notice: Failed to document the additional parameters in the create_button method in the audio_form include class (thanks Damien).
* Fixed a few typos in the language tutorial (thanks Marc and Michael).

I hope you will find this release useful, and feel free to send me your thoughts and feedback!

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-24 16:46:54

wow! will download it now

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2012-07-24 18:11:31

Nice. I already downloaded it. I'm just trying to deside on rather or not I should just recompile my maze game and poast the link or add joystick support and post the link. Oh well, guess I can recompile and post it and then work on adding joystick support. I have some ideas. thanks for this philip. It will give me something to do.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-07-24 18:31:29

hi

@phillip

how can i download the newest version should i buy the new v 1.2 again or do i've the option to download the newest version with my sign up name?

i am off for diner

ciao

mike

Visit the following website to see what games we have:
http://www.nonvisiongames.com
Or the following English marketplace to see what retrogames and game merchandise I am selling:
https://www.retro-kingdom.com

2012-07-24 18:47:08

hi, congratulations to everyone for this excellent work.
very good indeed, wonderful.
where do I download the file.
Link to download is not in the post.
I entered the site and saw nothing.
thanks.

2012-07-24 19:27:31

Hi,
It is at,
http://www.blastbay.com/bgt.php
but the link says version 1.1

2012-07-24 19:50:22

Hi guys,

I am really glad that people like the release! Thanks for the positive comments!

I have fixed the version number on the site. As for license keys, you can use your key that you had for 1.1 and earlier with 1.2 as well. If you already have the product registered, you should not even have to reregister after downloading this new version.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-24 20:39:02

Philip, congratulations for a great release. I am seriously impressed as always. You have seriously made my day with joystick support as well as the other bug fixes and updates. big_smile

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

Sincerely,
Thomas Ward
USA Games Interactive
http://www.usagamesinteractive.com

2012-07-24 20:54:52

I'm glad you like it! If you make something cool with it, send me a copy would you? tongue

Is there anything else that you think I should add, by the way? I am always interested in suggestions from other developers, as well as from everyone else of course.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-24 23:15:40

Well, since you are working on the 2d turning and trigonometry sound positioning, that is all I want. I wish there was an easier way to re encrypt files using because of he security change. Good thing I still have the bgt 1.1 installer so I can decrypt them back. Maybe  I should  make an EXE to do this ...

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2012-07-25 00:51:47

I've been looking forward to v1.2 forever! Maybe this will give me a reason to actually create a game!

“Can we be casual in the work of God — casual when the house is on fire, and people are in danger of being burned?” — Duncan Campbell
“There are four things that we ought to do with the Word of God – admit it as the Word of God, commit it to our hearts and minds, submit to it, and transmit it to the world.” — William Wilberforce

2012-07-25 02:47:16

I will be more then happy to send any suggestions I have your way. On a side note, has anyone used the joystick object from a function? I'm having some small problems ,but tomorrow I will try the example thing out of the help to see if it is the way I'm doing it. If that doesn't work then I will poast the function up over on the bgt form. I bet it's me that is messing things up as usual. LOL.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2012-07-25 03:11:18

oh nice, I can add joystick to my upcoming game
but, I don't have one, I think I'm going to buy one as soon as I can
I'm going to test every thing new in this version, and see how it goes
keep it up Philip

2012-07-25 08:30:23

oh wow!!!
thanks a lot philip!!!
keep it up! keep it up!!! big_smile

"I will confess my humanity. I have been named a monster, and do not deny those claims. I am the monster that I fear we all can become."

2012-07-25 08:51:57

Hi.
Congratulations on this great release!
Well, I wish I was a great BGT programmer, but I don't think I have pasions to learn how to make games in it. I'm still following the development of the project though, and the documentation is really amazing. It's just me who can't get used to it, I think.
Keep up the good work.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2012-07-25 09:57:22

Thanks guys, for all the great and encouraging feedback. Always nice to hear that ones work is liked and appreciated. Thank you!

I look forward to seeing what you all make with it.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-25 11:57:29

Believe me when I say that i am looking forward to what I can create with it. You have really may game creation alot easier for us. Now that I'm awake, I think I will go bug hunting. I have one anoying bug in my code. I just got to find it. LOL.

DropBox Referral

2012-07-25 12:06:25

Hi Philip!

Nice to see that your project is growing.
I'm just currious. I'm not using this software but is it possible to create online playable games. I mean real multiplayers;
And if it s sright... Are you working on a title that is online playable.
Because I love the quality of your games and if they are online playable like palace punch-up big_smile that will be very nice!!

Like online Q9 were you have to play with a partner against the animals big_smile I'm just dreaming; Or not? big_smile

Regards

2012-07-25 12:09:34

Hi there,

As a matter of fact, Palace Punch-up was written in BGT. So it definitely supports online multiplayer games. When you have a few moments, have a peak at the network class in the BGT manual.

As for my own projects, I am not currently working on any online games but this is certainly a possibility for the future, if I come up with a good enough concept.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-26 09:14:32

Hi.
Are ideas on how to improve the BGT manual welcome? I'm keep thinking on why I can't get used to BGT. My issue is that I think I know the basics of programming, but I don't know what kind of variables and all other kinds of choices I have to use to put my ideas into code.
I might not have the pationce it takes to learn all that, I don't know, but I think more examples might help. It's pretty difficult for me to suggest more improvements to the manual, because I'm not sure on what I'm missing to learn BGT...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2012-07-26 20:21:21

Hi there,

Suggestions on how to improve the manual are definitely welcome, if you do come up with any. I guess I could put the question this way. What can you do, with the knowledge you have thus far? Is it enough to make something simple? If so, I would suggest that you try it. Put all your knowledge together and write a script, however simple, and go from there. When you have done this, you will be able to start asking more specific questions that I or another member of the BGT community can answer.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-07-27 08:59:12

Thanks for your answer Philip. I will give this a serious try again this summer holliday, do what I can to make a script, ask for help to understand how things work and finally come up with some ideas on how to improve the manual.

Best regards SLJ.

2012-08-01 23:02:18

Is this an update non-programmers need to install? At this time, I'm still just a gamer, so I'm not sure if this version is necessary for me.

Thanks.

2012-08-01 23:40:10

Hi Mike,

If you just run games from source code, then for the most part you should not need to upgrade. I try to make sure new revisions are backwards compatible with old ones. If the game uses any kind of encryption, however, you will need to download the latest version. It is always a good idea to be up to date because this latest version does have numerous bugfixes and performance improvements as well.

Kind regards,

Philip Bennefall

2012-08-02 08:44:20

Yeah, or if people are using joystick support in their games or some of the new features, you have to have the new version installed.
In other words: I recommend you to install the new version if you'll make sure you can run all BGT games without any issues.

Best regards SLJ.